DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling Battery caused Crash

DJI seems to be aware of the issue. New FW update released today for the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom. I assume this means it must properly click in on both sides, in addition to just making electrical contact below. Swollen batteries that don't click in fully likely now won't be able to be flown with.
  • Added battery mounting detection. Aircraft is unable to take off if the aircraft battery is not mounted correctly.
  • Optimized auto discharging function for the aircraft battery. Added ability to set when auto discharge will begin. The default setting is five days.

Reactions: Greenflash
DJI seems to be aware of the issue. New FW update released today for the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom. I assume this means it must properly click in on both sides, in addition to just making electrical contact below. Swollen batteries that don't click in fully likely now won't be able to be flown with.
  • Added battery mounting detection. Aircraft is unable to take off if the aircraft battery is not mounted correctly.
  • Optimized auto discharging function for the aircraft battery. Added ability to set when auto discharge will begin. The default setting is five days.
Would be interesting to learn if both battery release clips are electrically monitored- @djidroneservice you should be able to answer this?

Nice to have control over the days to discharge commence setting.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Would be interesting to learn if both battery release clips are electrically monitored- @djidroneservice you should be able to answer this?

Nice to have control over the days to discharge commence setting.
Since the only previous discharge time available was 10 days, setting the new default to 5 days, with the option to change it to any number between 1 and 10 days, apparently the previous 10 day fixed setting has been determined to not be optimal.

That or DJI won't admit to having an issue. After all, 10 days has been default for years and only some models and production runs have had mass issues.
Note that if you have multiple batteries, only the one you used for the firmware upgrade gets changed to 5 days. The rest you'll need to change yourself.

Prior to this firmware, it would warn you that the battery was not inserted correctly, but only if both latches were not engaged.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That or DJI won't admit to having an issue. After all, 10 days has been default for years and only some models and production runs have had mass issues.
Note that if you have multiple batteries, only the one you used for the firmware upgrade gets changed to 5 days. The rest you'll need to change yourself.

Prior to this firmware, it would warn you that the battery was not inserted correctly, but only if both latches were not engaged.
Frankly, I prefer the 10 days, and have always used that setting. Nothing worse than leaving the house with all your batteries only to find out that most of them are already discharged because it's been more than 10 days since that battery was last used! Shortening that 10 days only exacerbates the problem for a frequent flyer!

I have 8 batteries for my P4 and two P4 A. I noticed today one battery with 78 charges had swelling and was a very tight fit into the drone. Airdata showed the battery was 3 years old. I discarded the battery. I fly long Litchi missions, many over water. No need to take chances.

Last edited:
The new M2 firmware out this week looks like DJI are trying to reduce/hide or are aware of issues....

One change is it now wont take off with a battery unlatched warning.
The other is returning the selective discharge rate and a new default of 5 days.

I think they're aware of the issue and instead of coming clean are adding firmware based precautions.

The new M2 firmware out this week looks like DJI are trying to reduce/hide or are aware of issues....

One change is it now wont take off with a battery unlatched warning.
The other is returning the selective discharge rate and a new default of 5 days.

I think they're aware of the issue and instead of coming clean are adding firmware based precautions.
That's exactly what I said above! Great minds think alike! ?

I've been fighting with DJI over 2 swollen batteries for a month now. I bought the zoom in Aug 2018 / 3 batteries
and the Care refresh. I sent 2 of the batteries in after "swelling" to the point that I didn't trust them on the drone.
They insisted that I send in the drone with one swollen battery and then the Care refresh would get me a "refurb"
drone and 1 new battery. The drone is fine and I said I wouldn't do that and I even agreed to pay the $119(refresh charge) for (1) battery. That's $20 less than just buying another battery. No go. Support even called and refused to do that. So for $20 difference I'm done with DJI. Their "support" has absolutely no flexibility at all. I added it up
I've spent over $8700 buying their products but no more. If they won't stand behind the Care refresh then what
good is it?? And by the way no other batteries for my other drones are swelling (14 total) just 2 of the 3 that
came with the bundle.
S.L.
P4P / Spark / Mavic Pro / Mavic Air / Mavic Zoom / both goggles / Smart Controller etc etc

I can understand their stance on batteries under normal circumstances, but clearly they have a defective run that should be recalled.

I've been fighting with DJI over 2 swollen batteries for a month now. I bought the zoom in Aug 2018 / 3 batteries
and the Care refresh. I sent 2 of the batteries in after "swelling" to the point that I didn't trust them on the drone.
They insisted that I send in the drone with one swollen battery and then the Care refresh would get me a "refurb"
drone and 1 new battery. The drone is fine and I said I wouldn't do that and I even agreed to pay the $119(refresh charge) for (1) battery. That's $20 less than just buying another battery. No go. Support even called and refused to do that. So for $20 difference I'm done with DJI. Their "support" has absolutely no flexibility at all. I added it up
I've spent over $8700 buying their products but no more. If they won't stand behind the Care refresh then what
good is it?? And by the way no other batteries for my other drones are swelling (14 total) just 2 of the 3 that
came with the bundle.
S.L.
P4P / Spark / Mavic Pro / Mavic Air / Mavic Zoom / both goggles / Smart Controller etc etc
Care Refresh is being fully honored. Indeed, support has no flexibility. Your batteries are well out of their 6 month warranty. However, your Refresh entitles you to one battery replacement as part of a drone replacement for 12 months, so without sending in the old drone for a brand new drone with a new battery, they cannot help you. They tried. You refused. However, the only batch of bad M2 batteries are Production Dates of 2018.07 and 2018.08. None of the Production Dates after that have swollen similarly. Just buy a couple of new M2 batteries and fix the problem. At best, the Refresh would have saved you $20 on one battery, but only if you replace the drone at the same time. You refused.

I've been in your shoes. My M2P camera was damaged in a crash. I sent it in for repair. DJI refused to repair the camera alone at any price without sending the drone in. They finally agreed, and quoted a price of $599, the full price of a new M2P camera. Based upon the parts list for M2P camera repairs, it should have been $250 including labor. They finally agreed to the $250 but refused to do the repair without the drone. I refused because I had installed a Zoom camera on it and was using it every day for a job, and could not be without it. I even offered to buy a refurb M2P drone from them, if they would apply the $350 discount (over the cost of a new $599 camera) to the price. No refurbs were available for sale. I told them I needed a month to complete the job, and would send the drone in then, to complete the process. They said they could not keep the case open that long, and wanted to immediately send the camera back. I refused, and they finally relented, agreeing to wait up to 4 weeks more to send the drone in, or ANY other functioning M2 aircraft. MidCityHobby was selling new bare M2 aircraft for $650. I bought one, sent it in, paid the $250 camera repair invoice, and DJI sent me a brand new M2P back, and even offered me the option of buying a Refresh policy on the entire new M2P! No one had ever sent a camera alone in for repair before, and they will not be allowed to do so now! You must send in the drone so they can quote you a camera repair, so they can send you a brand new drone with a new camera already installed at the factory. DJI no longer repairs anything. The repair quotes are simply your cost of a brand new drone replacement from their stock of plain box new drones without accessories.

Hope this helps explain the process, so you and everyone else can better understand it.

It worked out well for me, because I now have an M2P and an M2Z with a single controller, rather than having to keep swapping cameras every time I wanted to change focal lengths. It takes just 15 seconds to bind the other aircraft to the controller. Far easier and safer!

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Two safety checks:
1. Hold battery upside down and check across the flat bottom with a straight edge.
2. When installing your battery in AC, make sure you hear a loud click and then try to gently pull the battery out without pressing the release buttons. this will assure you that your battery is seated properly.

Two safety checks:
1. Hold battery upside down and check across the flat bottom with a straight edge.
2. When installing your battery in AC, make sure you hear a loud click and then try to gently pull the battery out without pressing the release buttons. this will assure you that your battery is seated properly.
One minor correction for clarification: there should actually be two clicks, which may sound like one, as there is a separate latch on each side, that needs to click in, for proper mounting. Further securing a slightly swollen battery with a strap or gaffers tape may prevent additional swelling occurring during flight from leading to a power failure.

hmm will it be wise to use some type of zip ties to keep you battery in your drone? maybe thin Velcro? just wondering.

hmm will it be wise to use some type of zip ties to keep you battery in your drone? maybe thin Velcro? just wondering.
If there is any existing swelling on the battery, highly advised, if you continue to use the battery for flight. Should help reduce the possibility of in flight disconnection.

I just tested this with my 1 swollen "test" battery i kept. They dont work.
They swell enough to distort the casing to the extent the battery still move just enough to break the electrical connection. So the battery stays in but the drone itself still loses power.
You cant zip tie it tight enough as the body casing itself is flexible.

I just tested this with my 1 swollen "test" battery i kept. They dont work.
They swell enough to distort the casing to the extent the battery still move just enough to break the electrical connection. So the battery stays in but the drone itself still loses power.
You cant zip tie it tight enough as the body casing itself is flexible.
Certainly depends on the degree of swelling present in the first place, and one's risk tolerance for flying with any swollen battery. Personally, I wouldn't fly with one, using it for only warm up and satellite acquisition on the ground instead, and swapping out with an unswollen battery for actual flight.

Im using my vintage Aug 18 battery for the tests. Its not obviously swollen cold. But as soon as it starts to fly and warms up it swells impressively.
The main issue is the battery contacts arent very deep or long so it doesnt take much movement to disconnect them.

FWIW the "battery not latched" error i think is triggered by the breaking of some of these contacts not the latches themselves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98