DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling inside battery compartment

jdjerich

Reactions
Has anyone noticed swelling inside of the battery compartment (M2P)? In the area where the black sticker with serial number is attached to?

I just happened to have my M2 sitting beside me on my desk with the battery removed as I read this :)

There is no swelling at all around the black sticker, or anywhere else on the larger label. (My M2 was purchased a year ago).

Reactions: Thomas B
I have never noticed swelling of the battery compartment walls, nor had any difficulties that might indicate same. I fly routinely and using several batteries in succession in ambient temps of 50-104 degrees F.

I just happen to browse thro and saw your comment on battery swelling. You are one lucky guy with no such problem. My friends who own MP have this problem just as I do. I have 8 batteries, (2 MP platinium bought separately and 6 from the 2 crafts that I have). Now I am down to only 2 unaffected ones.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 61
Can you post a photo of the swelling?

I don't understand how the compartment itself is swelling, isn't it usually the batteries themselves that swell?

I just happen to browse thro and saw your comment on battery swelling. You are one lucky guy with no such problem. My friends who own MP have this problem just as I do. I have 8 batteries, (2 MP platinium bought separately and 6 from the 2 crafts that I have). Now I am down to only 2 unaffected ones.
I have since had 1 of 10 M2P batteries swell... it is retired. I got about 175 full battery flights from it. It swelled during flight and battery life dropped from 22 min to about 1 minute suddenly about 30 seconds into that flight.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
I would be very careful with these batteries. Contact DJI before you fly with them.

I too have seen this problem pop up in the last few months. I have 4 batteries for my M2P. Have had them since Sept 2018. 2 have moderate swelling 1 serious swelling and the last with very little. The last time I flew, upon landing the battery was actually popping out on one side. Very bad. That battery is getting retired. The drone could have fell from the sky. The batteries seem to puff up more when they get hot. I may begin zip tying the batteries in just for safety until I can get more. Is it normal for these expensive batteries to swell after 18 months ??? I'm beginning to suspect the charger is charging too fast and damaging the batteries.
71f1034b5e1b5163ac9baaeee5c176f9.jpg

That sucks owg i have had my 3 batterys since 9/18 also happens to be when they were made /9/18 batch/ also but are not swelling at all.... Do you only fly a few times a month? Do you put these batteries in storage charge? Also discharging them too far/ keeping them fully charged to many days what cause swelling. also that charger is not charging them too quick, but what it is doing is charging them simultaneously. which is a nice thing..... I have a charger just like that. (Rcgeeks version) And it works beautifully. my charger also outputs 4.5 amps and have been using it for more than a year.

Last edited:
I too have seen this problem pop up in the last few months. I have 4 batteries for my M2P. Have had them since Sept 2018. 2 have moderate swelling 1 serious swelling and the last with very little. The last time I flew, upon landing the battery was actually popping out on one side. Very bad. That battery is getting retired. The drone could have fell from the sky. The batteries seem to puff up more when they get hot. I may begin zip tying the batteries in just for safety until I can get more. Is it normal for these expensive batteries to swell after 18 months ??? I'm beginning to suspect the charger is charging too fast and damaging the batteries.
71f1034b5e1b5163ac9baaeee5c176f9.jpg
Charge rate is controlled by circuitry inside battery, your “charger” is simply a regulated DC power supply.

Followup on my battery issue stated above. I contacted DJI with a full explanation of my issue as follows:

Message: I have 4 Mavic 2 batteries for my M2P. They are all swelling. After landing from a 15 minute flight today I noticed the battery popped out of one side of the drone. It could have resulted in the loss of the drone. I am now forced to retire that battery for fear of the drone falling out of the sky. I frequently fly over water and this is very worrisome. I checked the batteries in the app. They all are between 41 and 58 charges. 3 were made in August 2018 and 1 in September 2018. I purchased the drone in Sept 2018. I'm disappointed that these batteries are failing after so few charge cycles. Are there any known issues with these batteries swelling so early in their lifetime ?? The SN listed above is from the battery that came with the drone. Please advise.

They responded the next day with this:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We understand that all of your Mavic 2 Pro batteries are swollen. This is certainly not the experience we want for you. Let's work together on addressing this matter for you.

We recommend sending in your units to our repair facility for further assistance. Rest assured that our repair engineers will address this matter accordingly.

So they want the batteries for inspection. Interesting. Is this good or bad ?? The only issue is I'll be left with no batteries for a prolonged period.
Have to purchase 1 or 2 to get by.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54