DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Mavic Air

Alex,
How does it perform in the bright sun?
TIA
Decent. Not great, but you can see. I used it under the afternoon sun on the beach. I missed a lot of detail that I could see only after transferring the video later to my computer, but it's good enough for me to use it even if I cannot find any shade.

Good question. I, too, am an Android fan, although I do use the iPad Air 2 my daughter bought me. I purchased a SAMSUNG TAB A 32 GB 8” for dedicated droning. See AMAZON.COM link: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Wifi-Tablet-Silver/dp/B075VS89SW
This Tab is dedicated to the Mavic Air and believe it or not it fits in the controller without any additional stepper holders. It is a snug fit but it stays, I use an OTG with standard USB (for the bottom slot in the middle) and other end, of course is usb c. It is strictly WiFi so I use my Samsung Note 8 as the internet connector via Bluetooth. It works absolutely great, except of course where there is no www connection at all. The Tab is 8 inch and provides excellent viewing. The Tab is loaded minimalisticly as it is only for droning. The phone handles all else on connection if needed. The Tab A was my choice for vision assist when droning. I love the choice I made. If I were IOS oriented, I would most likely go the iPad mini route, but not familiar with that. The Tab A is the newest on the market. It is the 2017 model, which was released in the US in March or April of 2018. Yes, I am biased on Android as well.

Jeffrey

PS, should you decide to go the IOS route, I am very sure you would be able to Bluetooth to your phone for internet as well. Maybe someone more versed in IOS could verify

Jeffrey
Thanks for all the good information, Jeffrey! I'll take a closer look at the Samsung Tab A. It looks like a decent (and relatively inexpensive) solution.

Larry

PS, should you decide to go the IOS route, I am very sure you would be able to Bluetooth to your phone for internet as well. Maybe someone more versed in IOS could verify

Jeffrey
I use the wifi hotspot on my android phone to provide internet to the tablet. Caching the maps in advance is also advisable, just in case, especially in places with spotty connection or no connection at all.

To bring everyone up to date, I decided to try a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, the one with the 8" screen, and WiFi only. I also purchased a Skyreat tablet mount holder. I've taken the combination out flying about half a dozen times so far, and the combination seems to work really well. I'm still a newbie when it comes to drone flying (I've had the Mavic Air since June 18), so I'm just starting on the learning curve. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Larry

I use the Nexus 7 2013 with mine but as with all the others it isn’t bright enough in direct sunlight. It does fit the MA controller. I also rooted mine. Didn’t really need to. I’ve tried Samsung products on other drones and had terrible results. Mostly lock ups requiring restarts.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Reactions: pvs
I use the Nexus 7 2013 with mine but as with all the others it isn’t bright enough in direct sunlight. It does for the MA controller. I also rooted mine. Didn’t really need to. I’ve tried Samsung products on other drones and had terrible results. Mostly lock ups requiring restarts.

Good luck in your search.
Got the lenovo tab 4 Pro 8 (or whatever it's called, the 3gb one though) and that works great.

To bring everyone up to date, I decided to try a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, the one with the 8" screen, and WiFi only. I also purchased a Skyreat tablet mount holder. I've taken the combination out flying about half a dozen times so far, and the combination seems to work really well. I'm still a newbie when it comes to drone flying (I've had the Mavic Air since June 18), so I'm just starting on the learning curve. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Larry
Larry, just so you know! If you need internet connection in the field with your Tab you can use SETTINGS CONNECTIONS MOBILE HOTSPOT AND TETHERING to connect with your phone.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Larry, just so you know! If you need internet connection in the field with your Tab you can use SETTINGS CONNECTIONS MOBILE HOTSPOT AND TETHERING to connect with your phone.
Thanks for the tip! I'll probably need to give that a try soon, and it could come in very handy.

Larry

Wait, wouldn't I need a cellular connection for this to work? The tablet I purchased has only WiFi and no cellular.

Larry

Wait, wouldn't I need a cellular connection for this to work? The tablet I purchased has only WiFi and no cellular.

Larry

Larry
Sorry, Larry
On the Tab you would simply need to connect via BT to your phone. Assuming you have an Android phone the process is simply go to
SETTINGS
CONNECTIONS
MOBILE HOTSPOT AND TETHERING
turn ON the MOBILE HOTSPOT and BT TETHERING
YOUR Tab should connect and both should provide the same numbers for verification of connection

Now comes an alternative to the maps. You need maps to fly. That is one major reason for the BT connections. This next way is one I have not yet attempted so I cannot truly provide actual guidance, but something along the lines of going to GOOGLE MAPS and downloading the map for the region you plan to drone in. This would be very useful if, for example, you were to go to a National Forrest, first check with Smokey the Bear to ensure droning is permitted, and you do not have any internet at all. The d/l’ed maps would help to keep you on target. Maybe a local practice first to learn how to . . . Google downloaded maps are good for only x number of days, then must re d/l

FYI: My phone is a SAMSUNG NOTE 8 and I too use the 8 inch Tab S 32gb WiFi w/o internet, further I only have the LITCHI on the Tab and keep DJI’s GO4 on the phone as the two on the same device do not play nicely with each other.

If others read this, perhaps you may be better able to explain the maps. I’d like to learn and improve as well. Thank you

Last edited:
Oops, OLDheimers moment.
Most importantly whatever you end up with. Do your homework and learn how to optimize your device for best performance. It makes a huge difference. And NEVER fly with a cover/case on your device.
What difference does it make case or not? I always protect my electronics in cases.

I know cases can deminish signal. But it's connected via USB to controller that's the signal. To my mind a case just helps in case something falls...

Sorry, Larry
On the Tab you would simply need to connect via BT to your phone. Assuming you have an Android phone the process is simply go to
SETTINGS
CONNECTIONS
MOBILE HOTSPOT AND TETHERING
turn ON the MOBILE HOTSPOT and BT TETHERING
YOUR Tab should connect and both should provide the same numbers for verification of connection

Now comes an alternative to the maps. You need maps to fly. That is one major reason for the BT connections. This next way is one I have not yet attempted so I cannot truly provide actual guidance, but something along the lines of going to GOOGLE MAPS and downloading the map for the region you plan to drone in. This would be very useful if, for example, you were to go to a National Forrest, first check with Smokey the Bear to ensure droning is permitted, and you do not have any internet at all. The d/l’ed maps would help to keep you on target. Maybe a local practice first to learn how to . . . Google downloaded maps are good for only x number of days, then must re d/l

FYI: My phone is a SAMSUNG NOTE 8 and I too use the 8 inch Tab S 32gb WiFi w/o internet, further I only have the LITCHI on the Tab and keep DJI’s GO4 on the phone as the two on the same device do not play nicely with each other.

If others read this, perhaps you may be better able to explain the maps. I’d like to learn and improve as well. Thank you
Thanks again! I might well be confused about some of this, so I'll ask what might be a dumb question here: My tablet is currently connected to the Mavic Air's remote via a USB cable. I was under the impression that if I use a USB connection, I don't need WiFi or Bluetooth (other than for downloading software and firmware updates from the Internet). If I always use a USB connection ("hard wiring" between the tablet and the remote control), do I need WiFi to fly the drone? (Of course, I'm not referring to the WiFi connection between the remote and the drone, that seems to be a different animal entirely).

Regarding off-line maps, I've previously downloaded and used Google map segments, but not for drone flying. I'll need to re-familiarize myself with that stuff. I guess that is one area where a WiFi connection to my smartphone would come in handy.

Larry

Thanks again! I might well be confused about some of this, so I'll ask what might be a dumb question here: My tablet is currently connected to the Mavic Air's remote via a USB cable. I was under the impression that if I use a USB connection, I don't need WiFi or Bluetooth (other than for downloading software and firmware updates from the Internet). If I always use a USB connection ("hard wiring" between the tablet and the remote control), do I need WiFi to fly the drone? (Of course, I'm not referring to the WiFi connection between the remote and the drone, that seems to be a different animal entirely).

Regarding off-line maps, I've previously downloaded and used Google map segments, but not for drone flying. I'll need to re-familiarize myself with that stuff. I guess that is one area where a WiFi connection to my smartphone would come in handy.

Larry
The short answer is NO. But if you are flying locally and do not have your maps current then yes. There are other times I find the cellular connection handy, i.e., I prep the night before and I’m good to go. I get to my flight point and DJI says “I wanna update!” Guess what ya need! I live less than 1 mile from the center of KCOS. I need cellular to grant permission to fly in immediate Class C air space, (even at the house at 30 feet) without which the props will not even spin. If I move to a different park ( 1.5 mile from center) I am good to go (after contacting both KCOS Ops and FAA tower), and I’m still within the 5 mile radius. My guess is that about 1/4 of Colo Spgs falls in the KCOS class C air space. The north end gets tagged by the USAF Academy (not sure, but I believe it is D.
I mentioned I use LITCHI on my Tab. This is because I can program Way Points for smoother video and variable speed. I maintain my remote at all times but remain hands off for the whole flight from lift off to completion at landing. See my video (yeah, I bragging).
My Note 8 keeps the DJI GO4 app. Things I learned from making this video were 1 you do not have to fly your drone forwards only, 2 you do not need to have your thumb/index on the sticks all the time, and 3 you learn new perspectives by flying the exact same flight path 5 different times. I kept the same way points but changed altitude and or speed on each of 5 flights. ( I have 5 batteries for the MA, only to allow me to change up to differing perspectives on essentially the same flight. Altitude, speed, lenses. Then back home on my old Dell laptop for editing on Wondershare’s Filmora. I am attempting to do very much the same technique on freehand flying but still find turns and transitions are just a little too jerky for my own satisfaction.

Last edited:
Yes you can fly without internet connection. You'll need WiFi to predownload the maps .. Most android tablets have non internet related gps.

The remote does all the talking to the drone

The short answer is NO. But if you are flying locally and do not have your maps current then yes. There are other times I find the cellular connection handy, i.e., I prep the night before and I’m good to go. I get to my flight point and DJI says “I wanna update!” Guess what ya need! I live less than 1 mile from the center of KCOS. I need cellular to grant permission to fly in immediate Class C air space, (even at the house at 30 feet) without which the props will not even spin. If I move to a different park ( 1.5 mile from center) I am good to go (after contacting both KCOS Ops and FAA tower), and I’m still within the 5 mile radius. My guess is that about 1/4 of Colo Spgs falls in the KCOS class C air space. The north end gets tagged by the USAF Academy (not sure, but I believe it is D.
I mentioned I use LITCHI on my Tab. This is because I can program Way Points for smoother video and variable speed. I maintain my remote at all times but remain hands off for the whole flight from lift off to completion at landing. See my video (yeah, I bragging).
My Note 8 keeps the DJI GO4 app. Things I learned from making this video were 1 you do not have to fly your drone forwards only, 2 you do not need to have your thumb/index on the sticks all the time, and 3 you learn new perspectives by flying the exact same flight path 5 different times. I kept the same way points but changed altitude and or speed on each of 5 flights. ( I have 5 batteries for the MA, only to allow me to change up to differing perspectives on essentially the same flight. Altitude, speed, lenses. Then back home on my old Dell laptop for editing on Wondershare’s Filmora. I am attempting to do very much the same technique on freehand flying but still find turns and transitions are just a little too jerky for my own satisfaction.

Looks nice there, but have a look into colour grading, you could really make that footage 'pop' (not sure if your editing program has colour grading built in or not)

As for the discussion, on my tablet when I use it, I set a wifi hotspot on my phone so it can get map data, saves me having to worry about pre-caching it etc, and in the UK very few places nowadays that we don't have a 4G connection. If I'm going somewhere I know there's no connection I do cache the area though while I have Wifi/Cell service. And Litchi is ace when you get to know how to 'drive' it properly, but some of the built in (TapFly) modes work great for this sort of stuff too

Looks nice there, but have a look into colour grading, you could really make that footage 'pop' (not sure if your editing program has colour grading built in or not)

As for the discussion, on my tablet when I use it, I set a wifi hotspot on my phone so it can get map data, saves me having to worry about pre-caching it etc, and in the UK very few places nowadays that we don't have a 4G connection. If I'm going somewhere I know there's no connection I do cache the area though while I have Wifi/Cell service. And Litchi is ace when you get to know how to 'drive' it properly, but some of the built in (TapFly) modes work great for this sort of stuff too
Thank you for the tip. Always willing to accept G & B comments. All help me to improve. I tried to choose the best continuous footage with 4 differing ND and polarizing filter and absolutely forgot about post production
Thank you for your valuable input

Reactions: charlas
No problems, we are all learning, easier if someone else point's out what you have missed yourself.

Oh and wasn't critisising, just saying you could really get the footage to pop was all ;) Also remember, 60fps looks smooth, but also looks 'unreal' so usually better to export in 24/25fps for that 'filmic' look

No problems, we are all learning, easier if someone else point's out what you have missed yourself.

Oh and wasn't critisising, just saying you could really get the footage to pop was all ;) Also remember, 60fps looks smooth, but also looks 'unreal' so usually better to export in 24/25fps for that 'filmic' look
Did not accept this as a bad critique, but rather enjoyed an opportunity to accept another’s input for a chance to improve on my skills. The only bad critique is the one you fail to act upon to improve! One should always look for improvement. Again, I did NOT accept this as a “bad” critique. Thank you for the input

Obviously not got the original footage (and for some reasons you Lows are crushed on the youtube video, but that's probably their compression)

J&E Films.00_01_12_22.Still001.png J&E Films.00_01_12_22.Still002.png

Also noticed that you have your ISO set auto on these (as it changes regular in the video) but here's an idea of what you can do with some post processing, and will look a WHOLE lot better if done on the original footage.

Sub'd though, so keep the uploads coming :)

Last edited:
Obviously not got the original footage (and for some reasons you Lows are crushed on the youtube video, but that's probably their compression)

View attachment 41721 View attachment 41722

Also noticed that you have your ISO set auto on these (as it changes regular in the video) but here's an idea of what you can do with some post processing, and will look a WHOLE lot better if done on the original footage.

Sub'd though, so keep the uploads coming :)
Many thanks for the input
Right now finding difficulty to do much activity these days as my lower back is really acting up. It extremely painful when I stand, sit, or lay down, other than that it’s fine. VA says, lt’s not that bad! But, yet they send me to get needles in the lumbar spinal every three months. Service to the country, then kicked to the curb. Not willing to die to make them look good just yet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan