DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Mavic Air

Hey I live that way too, Had L3/L4/L5/S1 caged, and some 'pioneering' surgery later this year on the bit below that! so I feel for ya, get well soon

Good question. I, too, am an Android fan, although I do use the iPad Air 2 my daughter bought me. I purchased a SAMSUNG TAB A 32 GB 8” for dedicated droning. See AMAZON.COM link: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Wifi-Tablet-Silver/dp/B075VS89SW
This Tab is dedicated to the Mavic Air and believe it or not it fits in the controller without any additional stepper holders. It is a snug fit but it stays, I use an OTG with standard USB (for the bottom slot in the middle) and other end, of course is usb c. It is strictly WiFi so I use my Samsung Note 8 as the internet connector via Bluetooth. It works absolutely great, except of course where there is no www connection at all. The Tab is 8 inch and provides excellent viewing. The Tab is loaded minimalisticly as it is only for droning. The phone handles all else on connection if needed. The Tab A was my choice for vision assist when droning. I love the choice I made. If I were IOS oriented, I would most likely go the iPad mini route, but not familiar with that. The Tab A is the newest on the market. It is the 2017 model, which was released in the US in March or April of 2018. Yes, I am biased on Android as well.

Jeffrey

PS, should you decide to go the IOS route, I am very sure you would be able to Bluetooth to your phone for internet as well. Maybe someone more versed in IOS could verify

Jeffrey
Hi Jeffrey I know this thread is old but my Mavic air is about to arrive and I currently have a galaxy tab a 8" that I dont use. I would love to be able to use it with the mavic air. Any suggestions on which DGI GO4 version/android operating version I should use?

Thanks for all the research and recommendations. Do you know if any of these models are constructed primarily of plastic instead of metal alloy like the iPad? I'm looking for a unit that will better handle high outdoor temperatures coming up this summer.

Hi Jeffrey I know this thread is old but my Mavic air is about to arrive and I currently have a galaxy tab a 8" that I dont use. I would love to be able to use it with the mavic air. Any suggestions on which DGI GO4 version/android operating version I should use?
Truthfully, I am afraid I cannot say which version is better. I purchased the Tab because my iPad was too big to fit any of my existing holders. I have since purchased one for my iPad. Primarily, I keep GO4 on one and Litchi on the other. Sorry, I am of no help on you question.
Jeffrey

Truthfully, I am afraid I cannot say which version is better. I purchased the Tab because my iPad was too big to fit any of my existing holders. I have since purchased one for my iPad. Primarily, I keep GO4 on one and Litchi on the other. Sorry, I am of no help on you question.
Jeffrey
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear you have been flying your mavic air with the galaxy tab a using Litchi?

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear you have been flying your mavic air with the galaxy tab a using Litchi?
Yes, but before flying Litchi, I must FORCE KILL the DJIGo4 app to avoid any potential for conflict. This is due to the fact the Litchi is based off the DJI SDK.

I use Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8 2016 modell SM-T713 and works out of the box, Not all Samsung tablet done that. $239.99
And here a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gala...y+Tab+S2+T713&qid=1557041085&s=gateway&sr=8-3
I'll second this recommendation. I'm the OP for this thread, and after reading all the responses and doing some additional homework, I bought exactly the same tablet, from Amazon, specifically for use with the drone, and I've never regretted it. As stormense8 stated, it simply worked out of the box and has never given me any problems.

Larry

Yes, but before flying Litchi, I must FORCE KILL the DJIGo4 app to avoid any potential for conflict. This is due to the fact the Litchi is based off the DJI SDK.
Thanks very much for the info Jeffrey. My drone arrived last night and i was able to connect with my galaxy tab a with video feed running in android "7" using DGI go4 version 4.2.4. If i have any issues flying I will try with Litchi.
Best Regards,
Mark

I know this topic has been beaten to death (I've done searches on the subject and read a few dozen threads), but I'm still confused when it comes to buying a tablet for my new Mavic Air. I'm currently using my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone (the one I also use to make phone calls with), and it seems too small for these aging eyes of mine.

Most of the posts on most of the threads here are old enough that they refer to, and recommend, tablets that are no longer available (I blame that on the manufacturers, who introduce new models so rapidly it can make your head spin trying to keep up). It seems that whenever I read a sterling recommendation for a tablet, that tablet was superseded by something else months ago.

I would strongly prefer to go the Android route and not the i-something (Apple) route. I like the look of the Amazon Fire HD tablets, but, at least based on some previous posts, they won't run DJI GO 4 without some serious "hacking" that I don't want to get involved with. I also expect to get a table mount holder to hold a tablet.

I'm looking for an Android tablet, hopefully not too expensive, that will be usable with the Android Air out-of-the-box (not counting installing DJI GO 4). Is there such a beast out there?

Larry

P.S. I've read, and studied, the Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) page. That list includes a good number of discontinued phones and tablets, which I find really confusing. I'm hoping for recommendations as to a good tablet that I can buy new from somewhere like Amazon.
Hi Larry. I have an S8 and want to know if this will work with my prospective pur hase if the mavic air. Sounds like you have been running it without any problems . Neil

Hi Larry. I have an S8 and want to know if this will work with my prospective purchase if the mavic air. Sounds like you have been running it without any problems . Neil
Hello HornetAP,

My Samsung S8 worked fine (and still does), though I use it rather rarely to fly the drone these days. I decided the screen was too small for drone flying and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, 8" screen, and WiFi only (no cell service), and use the tablet exclusively with my Mavic Air. I installed only the apps I need to fly the drone, which keeps things simpler.

I still carry my S8. It has all my other apps and makes phone calls. :)

Larry

Good question. I, too, am an Android fan, although I do use the iPad Air 2 my daughter bought me. I purchased a SAMSUNG TAB A 32 GB 8” for dedicated droning. See AMAZON.COM link: Amazon.com : Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" 32 GB Wifi Tablet (Silver) - SM-T380NZSEXAR : Computers & Accessories
This Tab is dedicated to the Mavic Air and believe it or not it fits in the controller without any additional stepper holders. It is a snug fit but it stays, I use an OTG with standard USB (for the bottom slot in the middle) and other end, of course is usb c. It is strictly WiFi so I use my Samsung Note 8 as the internet connector via Bluetooth. It works absolutely great, except of course where there is no www connection at all. The Tab is 8 inch and provides excellent viewing. The Tab is loaded minimalisticly as it is only for droning. The phone handles all else on connection if needed. The Tab A was my choice for vision assist when droning. I love the choice I made. If I were IOS oriented, I would most likely go the iPad mini route, but not familiar with that. The Tab A is the newest on the market. It is the 2017 model, which was released in the US in March or April of 2018. Yes, I am biased on Android as well.

Jeffrey

PS, should you decide to go the IOS route, I am very sure you would be able to Bluetooth to your phone for internet as well. Maybe someone more versed in IOS could verify

Jeffrey
What length USB cable?
Thanks for the informative rely :)

Get yourself a Nvidia k1 shield. Why? Well it's a bit older but can run the DJI go app without any issues. Also it has HDMI out do it gives you the option to use fatshark goggles etc..

The Samsung Tab S3 10inch works great with the MA as well. Used mine for a flight last week with no issues.

I have an older Samsung Tab S8.4 that I am going to try out as well, its older but if it works that is a great use for my old tablet.... I'm afraid it may be too slow though.

Reactions: Jeff Scheetz
When the battery in my Samsung TAB S2 "8" going crazy/useless after last update from Samsung I bought an iPad Mini 2019. Flying once and works good. But the AMOLED screen on Samsung was better then the LCD screen on iPad. iPad IOS are easyer to handle with DJI Drone. Connect and fly.

I use an Amazon Fire 7" tablet. I had to do some work following youtube videos to enable it to be able to download as a standard android. It works great, is very inexpensive!

Greetings fellow Mavic Air pilots. This is a terrific thread. So, I’ve seen that an iPad mini fits the MA controller (barely) without adding tablet holder. I’ve seen used iPad mini 2 at good price.

Anyone using iPad mini with Mavic air? Does the modest increase in screen size make a difference for you, or should I consider a larger tablet with tablet holder?

Good question. I, too, am an Android fan, although I do use the iPad Air 2 my daughter bought me. I purchased a SAMSUNG TAB A 32 GB 8” for dedicated droning. See AMAZON.COM link: Amazon.com : Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" 32 GB Wifi Tablet (Silver) - SM-T380NZSEXAR : Computers & Accessories

Jeffrey

Jeffrey
Thanks for this tip :)
Got the Samsung Tab A 32gb 8" for my MA and LOVE it!!!
Best phone/tablet Ive tried outdoors and this one is brighter by far.
I fly in the desert and mountains almost exclusively. Bright sun 300 days a year or more.
This tablet has a special Outdoor mode that boosts the brightness. Settings - Display - Advanced - Outdoor Mode :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian