DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Mavic.

MavicKhan

Reactions
So, my Mavic finally arrived. :)

I want to operate it with a tablet, not a phone and I've read and prepared this area a lot (...among many others...) while waiting for it but am still at a crossroad about it.

During that pre-ownership phase I downloaded Dji Go to an old Samsung Tab 7.7 I still had around, intending to dedicate it to this particular function (It can't run Dji Go 4 since it still runs Honeycomb)

In addition, I downloaded Dji Go 4 into my current Galaxy S 8.4.

Both tabs work but the 7.7 is clearly underperforming for the function and I really wanted to operate with Go 4.

The problem is that, while the 7.7 fits snuggly and nicely into the controller the S 8.4 won't, since my controller is already one of the redesigned ones and the arms can't open wide enough to accommodate the S 8.4.

I am left with 2 options:

1. Cutting 2 slots in the controller casing with precision tools to widen the arms aperture range but voiding the controller warranty in the process or,

2. Buy a new tab.

If I go with this second option, I am inclined to get an iOS device.

What is the smallest, cheapest 2nd hand Apple device I can get that will fit AND will still run Dji Go 4?

Thanks.

Reactions: MavicKhan
If cost is not an issue and you may want something to use away from the Mavic (justifying it not being the cheapest option) I would wait for the Galaxy Tab S3 which should drop Feb/Mar next year.

I was in the same position wanting a tablet. I bought the Samsung tab a 8 inch and it had all kinds of connection problems with the app. I bought a used iPad mini 2 on eBay for 160 bucks and it is in flawless condition. The best part is no software connection problems and it connects so easy. Get the connection cord from drone valley and you will be all set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: MavicKhan
If cost is not an issue and you may want something to use away from the Mavic (justifying it not being the cheapest option) I would wait for the Galaxy Tab S3 which should drop Feb/Mar next year.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I am entertaining the idea of having a dedicated device for this function and it seems that, for once, I might benefit from iOS over Android because of details like Litchi Vue which seem to not be available for Android.

I am an unrepentant Android user (Samsung Tabs, specifically) having benefited from the appropriate formats and the superior SuperAMOLED screens for my photography for many years.

Unfortunately, Samsung has tracked back on the "visual media" screen approach as of lately by opting for the 4:3 aspect ratio, which is appropriate for US written media but a waste of screen area for 3:2 or 16:9 visual media.

Because of it I had decided I wouldn't be buying any new Samsung tabs but there seems to be the possibility that the S3 will re-introduce 16:10, so we will see.

In any case, there are still no size specs for the S3, so I could be left with the same dilemma, in what regards the Mavic controller.

MK

use velcro to attach the s 8.4 to the remote. problem solved and it wont damage the controller if you decide to sell later.

That might work, yes, but it would have an impact over the functionality of my Tab S 8.4 which articulates beautifully with its dedicated case, via two very ingenious snap-on plastic prongs.

I have that exact same solution as a DIY field monitor, using an articulated arm to hold another previously used tab running DSLRController for my tripod-based photography :)

MK

I was in the same position wanting a tablet. I bought the Samsung tab a 8 inch and it had all kinds of connection problems with the app. I bought a used iPad mini 2 on eBay for 160 bucks and it is in flawless condition. The best part is no software connection problems and it connects so easy. Get the connection cord from drone valley and you will be all set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Yes, it seems to be the best solution.

The problem is that over here, in Portugal, 2nd hand ipads tend to run not very cheap...maybe I'll find a good deal off Ebay from another EC country.

If not, I might as well wait until January and get a new 32Gb WiFi one from the local stores that still carry it at an heavily discounted price.

MK

EDIT: Hiwese1 please tell me: Is your controller one of the already redesigned ones? You may check the right arm top distance to the "Sports" button to see if it is. If it almost touches the button framing it is an original one. If the top stays clear of the framing by about 5mm it is a new, redesigned one. Thanks!

Last edited:
So, my Mavic finally arrived. :)

I am left with 2 options:

1. Cutting 2 slots in the controller casing with precision tools to widen the arms aperture range but voiding the controller warranty in the process or,

2. Buy a new tab.

Thanks.
One more option, don't destroy your controller!

mavmount XL.jpg IMG_8638.jpg
The quality here looks good. I'm wondering about the balance with the iPad Air.
MavMount balanced with an iPad air solo, as well as with a hoodman shade.

I bought mine in early November. I did have to shave a little of the right arm for the sport mode but it fits. I do have to apply some pressure to get it in at first and then it slides in fine after that.

One more option, don't destroy your controller!

Don't worry, I won't :)

Altough I prefer the streamlined solution of a smallish tab drectly fit to the controller and usually find the holder options to be a bit clumsy I must say this is quite an interesting proposition.

Thank you for bringing it up.

MK

I been using a Neutab 7 as my dedicated Mavic Controller device.. here's my quick video -

An Apple mini 2 will work, however if your going to go that route get the mini 4, ON the other hand a cheaper alternative you could buy the nvidia shield K1 tablet for 199.00 and have an HDMI output on the tablet for FPV goggles later on and Go 4 runs great on this tablet as well !!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

New Blue color just came out of anodizing today. You like?blue4 (1 of 1).jpg blue5 (1 of 1).jpg blue5 (1 of 1)-2.jpg blue23 (1 of 1).jpg

Reactions: chippie
iPad Mini fits into controller "without" modification....This guy is worth your time to watch from Drone Valley.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demoyne