DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet without holder using the controller mounts only

emufriedchicken

Reactions
Just after some recommendations of what people use as a tablet directly mounted to their controller not with a 3rd party mount. I currently use a ipad mini2 and am really happy with it. But as IOS13 is around the corner the ipad mini 2 wont be supported by this and who knows if any of the GO 4 updates will include older versions of IOS in the future. Do I upgrade to a mini 4 or 5 or go android. I am not brand loyal to any system or brand so any suggestion would be great. If I had the $$$ i would go a smart controller but they are over $1000 here!!

Just after some recommendations of what people use as a tablet directly mounted to their controller not with a 3rd party mount. I currently use a ipad mini2 and am really happy with it. But as IOS13 is around the corner the ipad mini 2 wont be supported by this and who knows if any of the GO 4 updates will include older versions of IOS in the future. Do I upgrade to a mini 4 or 5 or go android. I am not brand loyal to any system or brand so any suggestion would be great. If I had the $$$ i would go a smart controller but they are over $1000 here!!

As an existing and happy iPad Mini user, I believe the decision for you is a no-brainer - go with the latest iPad Mini (5). The performance is streets ahead of the Mini 2 and also the Mini 4, and the screen is brighter as well. The other thing about staying with Apple is that it would be seamless in terms of transferring your flight logs to the new device - simply backup and restore.

If I didn't already own a standard sized iPad I would definitely be using a Mini 5.

Reactions: emufriedchicken
If you like your Mini 2 and the Mini 5 is within your intended budget, then that would be the way to go.
If I didn't already own a standard sized iPad I would definitely be using a Mini 5.

@$600 it would be a stretch but doable...just thought there may have been an alternative that would be cheaper as it will sit in my drone case majority of the time till I need it for flying. I only paid $150 for my mini 2 2nd hand. At that price I wouldnt care if I used it once a year!!

The other thing about staying with Apple is that it would be seamless in terms of transferring your flight logs to the new device - simply backup and restore.

Just a quick question on this... wouldnt my logs transfer with my GO 4 app DJI account no matter what device I install the app on?

@$600 it would be a stretch but doable...just thought there may have been an alternative that would be cheaper as it will sit in my drone case majority of the time till I need it for flying. I only paid $150 for my mini 2 2nd hand. At that price I wouldnt care if I used it once a year!!

Just a quick question on this... wouldnt my logs transfer with my GO 4 app DJI account no matter what device I install the app on?

OK fair enough - I used to use a Samsung S7 before the iPad and it worked well after I got through the teething issues. You should be able to pick one up for about $200. But I'm worried that you'll hate the much smaller screen.

In terms of the flight logs I though that they were saved on the device - not in the DJI cloud but I could be wrong. The following DJI forum thread contains info on this:-

wouldnt my logs transfer with my GO 4 app DJI account no matter what device I install the app on?
Yes, you can access/sync your logs using any device that can run DJI GO.

Reactions: dirkclod
In terms of the flight logs I though that they were saved on the device - not in the DJI cloud but I could be wrong.

Actually you maybe onto something here. I used my phone once when i did a motorbike ride up the coast here and had my M2Z in my back pack but didnt take my ipad mini. The logs on that trip are on my phone but not my Ipad. But you can back them up to a cloud though.

I used to use a Samsung S7

Thanks for this recommendation I will definately check this model out!!!

Reactions: deleted member 877
Actually you maybe onto something here. I used my phone once when i did a motorbike ride up the coast here and had my M2Z in my back pack but didnt take my ipad mini. The logs on that trip are on my phone but not my Ipad. But you can back them up to a cloud though.

Thanks for this recommendation I will definately check this model out!!!

If you end up going with the S7 please feel free to PM me if/when you run into trouble. There are a couple of settings that may need to be made before it will connect to the RC.

Yes, you can access/sync your logs using any device that can run DJI GO.
Yep thought so thanks for confirming my doubts.

If you end up going with the S7 please feel free to PM me if/when you run into trouble. There are a couple of settings that may need to be made before it will connect to the RC.

If I do i will certainly give you a PM!! Cheers

A refurbished Ipad Mini 4 is available from Apple for as low as $209 (16gb.)

I just ordered a 128gb for $309.

A refurbished Ipad Mini 4 is available from Apple for as low as $209 (16gb.)

I just ordered a 128gb for $309.

Keep in mind that the iPad Mini was released in September 2015 - 4 years is a long time in terms of how outdated technology can become. How long before DJI no longer supports that model ?

I know that a lot of people are perfectly happy with the older iPads - all I'm saying is that it might be worth spending the extra money to get something with a warranty and that is future proof for the next 2 or 3 years.

Keep in mind that the iPad Mini was released in September 2015 - 4 years is a long time in terms of how outdated technology can become. How long before DJI no longer supports that model ?

I know that a lot of people are perfectly happy with the older iPads - all I'm saying is that it might be worth spending the extra money to get something with a warranty and that is future proof for the next 2 or 3 years.

Apple refurbs come with a full warranty, but you're probably right about future proofing.

Some day, when I win the lottery, I'm going to replace my 1995 Mazda and get a 1996.

Apple refurbs come with a full warranty, but you're probably right about future proofing.

Some day, when I win the lottery, I'm going to replace my 1995 Mazda and get a 1996.
Cracked me up!

Reactions: deleted member 877
Just did a quick research and my mini 2 was released in 2013. And when IOS13 is released in September this year it won’t be made available for the mini2. Not sure if apple will still support it though. DJI don’t support any tablet as far as I am aware.My concern is if DJI Go4 will pull the plug on IOS 12 and older then my mini2 will be obsolete. Using the same date span a mini4 should be ok for 3 years. I think then I should have either upgraded or bought a mavic with a smart controller 2 by then. Apple Australia have a couple of refurbed 128gb mini 4 for $470 or spend another $130 and get a new 5...

Logs should transfer via app, but not if you didn't sync up from the first device. That's not an automatic step.

You can also specify how much log to keep. I'm not sure if that only applies to local copy or if that deletes older logs from cloud.

I sync all, but I might have to stop as it might be taking too much room on mobile storage.

If you like the mini amazon has some refurbished mini4s with 128gb storage and WiFi + cellular. Believe it was for only 275 if I remember correctly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun