DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TABLETS?

well that's as clear as mud, I'm still none the wiser and closer to a tab choice, loads of pro and cons for both. aagghhhh!!!!!!

Had my Mavic for a month now and used Samsung S7 Edge it did my head in due to crashing at least 4 times with just 1 battery. When your flying and that happens its not good and just makes whats supposed to be fun the opposite. I hate IOS to many restrictions unless jailbroken but rather than lose my Mavic I bit the bullet and got the Mini Ipad 4 with cellular. A mount, sunshade and right angled ligtning cable. Wow am I so glad I did its amazing. Bigger screen to see everything more clearly and not one crash of the app. Also on the latest IOS with no problems. I cant recommend highly enough to go with a mini Ipad. Dont risk android at least till its more stable.

Reactions: skyeye73
Regardless if you like or hate Apple, fact is a supported Apple Tablet works best, I'd say almost flawlessly. I've been using Apple Tablets (Ipad 2, Minis, Pros) with all my DJI drones (Various Phantoms, Inspire, Mavic, Spark) and have had zero major issues. Have never lost signal, never lost connection, never had issues updating etc... The only minor issue I had was occasional momentary partial screen refresh. I upgraded my Ipad to a Mini 4 and have been problem-free...

Just read through this forum or any other DJI forum and you'll see that android based tablets can have or have more issues than the Apple Tablets. Personally, I don't want hassles. With the Ipad Mini 4 (Ipad Air 2, Ipad Pro) no issues...

Your listening to a real die hard Apple Fan, specifically the iPad and iPad Mini. DJI originally would only work with iPad/iPhone and it took Androids a ways to catch up but still had a ton of problems with Synching with the Phantoms back then, many had fly aways using the Androids and it was almost hilarious to read all the complaints and problems with fly aways because of the Android apps. The Android apps have gotten better and no longer seem to be in conflict with the DJI GO app. So maybe it has changed for the best.

Being an old man of 64 and bought my first Phantom 2 HD-3D, GoPro when I was 60, I have spared no expense since then on buying most of DJI Phantoms, Mavic, Spark and their fly more packages. Started with an iPad 2 Air wi-fi, then an iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi/Cellular and an iPad Mini 2 WiFi and most recently iPad Mini 4 Wifi/Cellular. Traded the iPad Air 2 to Amazon, which knocked a big chunk off the Mini 4, thankfully.

In my Professional Opinion, the iPad Mini's are the perfect fit for the Spark and Mavic Remote Controller's because they actually fit in any of the remote controllers to include the Phantoms. The Mini's are the same as the iPad full size but in a smaller package.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
Nexus 7, Android 6.0.1 no issues. I just can't see myself using Itunes ever again. Everything Android. Even when running my S7 phone I never had issues. Apps crashing are not Googles fault, they are DJI coding faults.

Personally, I don't want hassles. With the Ipad Mini 4 (Ipad Air 2, Ipad Pro) no issues...

I dont want hassles either - which is why i use a Nexus phone or Nexus tablet. Plug it in, just works. Simple as that.

The problem with android is there is no such thing other than Nexus devices. Samsung, LG, Moto all butcher the OS with their own bloatware and firmware. So the problem isnt android being unreliable, its certain brands of device being unreliable.

think I might stick with my Samsung tab4 then. what tablet brackets are people using or recommend ?

Regardless if you like or hate Apple, fact is a supported Apple Tablet works best, I'd say almost flawlessly. I've been using Apple Tablets (Ipad 2, Minis, Pros) with all my DJI drones (Various Phantoms, Inspire, Mavic, Spark) and have had zero major issues. Have never lost signal, never lost connection, never had issues updating etc... The only minor issue I had was occasional momentary partial screen refresh. I upgraded my Ipad to a Mini 4 and have been problem-free...

I have a wide assortment of Android tablets for various multirotor uses, mainly because the microUSB port is actually an active data USB port on SOME Android devices. The port on Apple devices is not. I use it for connecting telemetry and FPV video receiver modules (not DJI stuff). Plug in an OTG cable and you're ready to go. But it's sporadic, varying between brands and models. Samsung Tab does not have an active data USB port. As I've stated earlier, the Nexus line have active USB hubs and work fine with USB devices, like telemetry and FPV video receivers. So as pointed out by many, the Android OS may be a good OS, but it can be very inconsistent between brands. I have an older Nexus 5 mobile phone, and a Nexus 7 tablet, and they will remain my only active Android devices for drones. The others the kids use to play games.

Apple is absolutely my first choice with anything that it will work with. Apple is consistent, it is top quality, and is backed by an amazing support system. Android is cheap... sometimes in quality, sometimes in price, many times both. If Apple devices had active USB ports I would never look at Android. When I'm spending $1000 on a piece of high technology equipment, like the Mavic Pro, I want the best equipment supporting it, and that is Apple. And right now for me that is the iPhone 7 Plus, with a screen almost tablet size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxheadspace
iPad Mini 4 on sale at BestBuy for $299ish. I use it on all my DJI platforms and have NEVER had an issue
Get it with cellular option which has dedicated GPS so you can change homepoint to your location if you happen to be mobile (like on a boat). No one mentioned this & I regret that I got the non-cellular mini iPad.

Wow thats 120$ less than I paid for the mini 4 cellular with sprint. Definitely get the ipad, you wont regret it. Very useful and handy tablet i keep finding out. Originally bought it just for the mavic but its nice to have, for some reason it gets better signal than my phone does in the mountains to. But i fly alot of places with no service so i didnt really need the cellular one. Never one time had an issue with the mini. Only thing I would change would be a brighter screen in full sun, probably would over heat though. It still works pretty good.

Last edited:
I used iPhone 6 for about 4 months without issues except I couldn't clearly see the live view well. Switched to iPad Pro 10.5" and, although it's probably overkill, it's just amazingly fast and clear. I can see what I'm shooting and adjust camera settings on the fly. I can clearly review what I just shot, I can download the full 4k version and watch it without hiccups on the iPad.

Reactions: scorpio
I say go to the pawnshop and buy an iPad mini 2. Just hope the battery is still decent. You won't spend an arm and a leg on it. And it works like a charm. I got my mini 2 for free on a black Friday deal and use it as my goto device.

Is that the newest one? I've just bought one of them

Yes, 256Gig celular, I use it also for 4K video cut... I bought it as a dedicated device for my Mavic (e.g. GS Pro is only for iOs so far), but allready realized the limitations of Apple policy. Full JB not yet available for 10.3.2 iOs versions. I would appreciate to have full access to files and internal folder structure, because editing vids in more apps makes a (duplicity) mess on internal drive and the 256 Gig capacity disapears too fast.

Reactions: Creaky
I have an iPad Air with the Mavic mount and drone world sunshade and love it. Been flying with that since Feb. and got the DJI goggles a month ago and still like the iPad better. Now use the goggles for second person to view flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N