DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TABLETS?

Just my opinion but unless I am seated with the controller on my lap for taking specific videos or pics I find any tablet cumbersome and unbalanced in any position. I always find myself going back to my iPhone wondering why I bought and iPad mini and tablet holder in the first place.

Was looking at grabbing an iPad mini 4 - but if the mini 2 works well, may plump for that one.

Is the live video etc smooth on it ?

Does the iPad mini provide a higher level of brightness than the iPhone? I'm sure the increased viewing size is also an advantage in the bright light. I just hate the idea of having to pull out more stuff like a shade, in addition to the mount. I do need more than the iPhone though. I can't always find a shady spot to stand. Increased screen brightness would be welcome.

Does the iPad mini provide a higher level of brightness than the iPhone?
I have a list of Apple devices here that shows the max brightness for most of the compatible iPhone/iPad models.

Is there a reason why the Ipad 2017 isn't being suggested? Bigger screen, faster processor I thought it would've received a mention.

Is there a reason why the Ipad 2017 isn't being suggested? Bigger screen, faster processor I thought it would've received a mention.
Probably just not an updated list...obviously it'll work fine

The Ipad's are actually to large for use with most DJI controllers. The Ipad Mini is about as large as most people want to go. Older pilots like myself find it hard to see the smaller screens on any cell phone so the Mini is just about perfect in size because you can actually get the Mini to fit into the Mavic and Spark controllers and does not over weigh the top of a Phantom controller like the Ipad Air's do.

People report problems with apple and android. Given android makes up 85%+ of the market share of mobile devices you'd expect to see a lot more people having issues simply due to numbers.
Under this logic, of course, the opposite would also be true. You would see 'many more' Android users stating they 'dont have' any issues controlling the Mavic. And that doesnt seem to be the case. Conversely the ipad mini 4 seems to work flawlessly nearly all the time with only relatively minor problems reported.

This matter is further complicated by 2 further factors:
1. A particularly model of Android seems to work perfectly for some, terribly for others. My S7 Edge was unusuable - others have reported the S7 Edge working well.
2. The problem doesnt seem a matter of different software or out of date software. In fact devices with Nougat seem to have more problems than Marshmallow.

Of course Apple products are expensive and seem 'especially expensive' if you dont happen to like them in the first place. It would be great if we could find an Android device that we all agreed works well,

From reading the posts here, the one Android device that I have seen many people say works well and noone say it doesnt appears to be the 'Acer Iconia One' 7" tablet (But the number of users is not high). It is cheap as chips too.

It is also a shame that DJI hasnt teamed up with an Adroid tablet manufacturer and produced a cheap US$150 7" tablet that works (and will work), fits the Spark/Mavic controller (and isnt 'overspecced' like the Crystalsky) - the market should be big enough and I would rather put money in DJI's pocket than Apple's.

The Ipad's are actually to large for use with most DJI controllers. The Ipad Mini is about as large as most people want to go. Older pilots like myself find it hard to see the smaller screens on any cell phone so the Mini is just about perfect in size because you can actually get the Mini to fit into the Mavic and Spark controllers and does not over weigh the top of a Phantom controller like the Ipad Air's do.
I guess I'm not like most people.

I'll fly with my Galaxy S5 when I want to just get in the air for a short flight, but most of the time I fly with an iPad Air because I appreciate the larger screen.

Even with a tablet mount, either for my Phantom 3 or my Mavic Pro, the balance is fine and it just doesn't weigh that much, especially with a lanyard.

Under this logic, of course, the opposite would also be true. You would see 'many more' Android users stating they 'dont have' any issues controlling the Mavic. And that doesnt seem to be the case. Conversely the ipad mini 4 seems to work flawlessly nearly all the time with only relatively minor problems reported.

We're kind of comparing apples and oranges. Android is an operating system. It operates on a spectrum of devices, some that function well, others that don't. The iPhone (including iPad) and iOS are a system specifically designed to operate together harmoniously. Apps designed for them don't have to "worry" about third party devices, they only have to work on iPhone and iPad. Apple products, in general, will be superior because both the OS and hardware are made by the same manufacturer. I have both Apple and android devices, and there is no doubt that I have more issues among Android devices simply because different hardware manufacturers build their equipment to different specs. My Samsung Tab does NOT perform the same as my Nexus 7, even though they run the same Android OS. That isn't a slam on Android, it's just admitting the reality that functionality of Android is totally dependent on what device you are using.

I was using my Samsung S6 Active smartphone but once it upgraded to Android 7 I was plagued with app crashes, so I bought a 10-inch Asus Zenpad which has worked flawlessly with no app crashes. I got the 64gb version for under $200, and I couldn't be happier with it.

-Joe

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.
Weird as on the list HTC one has no green or yellow dot beside it and mine works perfectly no glitches or dropouts, a mate with Samsung and another with iPhone both seem to have dramas with connections here n there but they've done more flights than me

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian