DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take drone domestic flight Philippines

shb

Reactions
I'm flying AirAsia on a domestic flight in the Philippines. I'm taking my Mavic 3, and one extra battery. From reading their website, I'm worried about taking the extra battery in my carry on luggage. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks, Steve

I'm flying AirAsia on a domestic flight in the Philippines. I'm taking my Mavic 3, and one extra battery. From reading their website, I'm worried about taking the extra battery in my carry on luggage.
You should be fine as long as the batteries are in your carry-on luggage.

Their website could have been written more clearly but it's just like all other airlines ... lithium batteries must not be in checked luggage and have to be in carry-on.

Here's what they say on their website (with some underlining to make it a little clearer.

What items are prohibited from being carried in my baggage?
According to International Travel Standards, you may not carry the following articles into the security restricted area and on board an aircraft.

(c) Batteries (Lithium, Lithium Ion Cells, Batteries, and Spare Batteries)

Cabin Baggage: Electronics devices such as cameras, cellular phones, laptops, and camcorders containing lithium or lithium ion cells (a Wh rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh) for personal use are allowed for carriage into the aircraft.

Checked Baggage: Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries are allowed in checked baggage EXCEPT e-cigarettes and self-balancing battery powered small vehicles (E.g: Electric Bicycle and Segway). Spare batteries for example power banks, are NOT allowed in checked baggage. Wheelchairs and mobility devices with batteries can only be carried as checked baggage given that the batteries must be prepared for the flight according to the guide here .

You will be good but as a precaution, drain your battery down before flying. I always drain my battery to like 5/10% before taking it onboard, I also put the batteries in battery bags.
There is no need at all to drain batteries before travelling (or to use special bags.
No airline or air safety authority recommends that.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm already packed, with the spare battery wrapped in plastic, so I won't be able to drain the battery this time. Maybe next time. I could of left them at 50%, but I flew them a few days ago, to make sure they were ok.

You should be fine as long as the batteries are in your carry-on luggage.

Their website could have been written more clearly but it's just like all other airlines ... lithium batteries must not be in checked luggage and have to be in carry-on.

Here's what they say on their website (with some underlining to make it a little clearer.

What items are prohibited from being carried in my baggage?
According to International Travel Standards, you may not carry the following articles into the security restricted area and on board an aircraft.

(c) Batteries (Lithium, Lithium Ion Cells, Batteries, and Spare Batteries)

Cabin Baggage: Electronics devices such as cameras, cellular phones, laptops, and camcorders containing lithium or lithium ion cells (a Wh rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh) for personal use are allowed for carriage into the aircraft.

Checked Baggage: Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries are allowed in checked baggage EXCEPT e-cigarettes and self-balancing battery powered small vehicles (E.g: Electric Bicycle and Segway). Spare batteries for example power banks, are NOT allowed in checked baggage. Wheelchairs and mobility devices with batteries can only be carried as checked baggage given that the batteries must be prepared for the flight according to the guide here .
How many Wh is the mavic 3 battery. It says spare batteries are not allowed in checked baggage, but it doesn't say specifically they are allowed in carry on. But reading your post makes me feel better. Thanks.

How many Wh is the mavic 3 battery. It says spare batteries are not allowed in checked baggage, but it doesn't say specifically they are allowed in carry on. But reading your post makes me feel better. Thanks.

The M3 batteries are 5000 mAh / 77Wh

In the US, the FAA doesn't limit the number of batteries you can carry on unless they're 101 mAh or larger (in which case, you can bring two on board). Many countries / airlines (including AirAsia) follow the same rules: https://www.airasia.com/aa/pdf/baggage/fd-dangerous-goods.pdf

The one difference is that AirAsia limits the number of carry on batteries to twenty.

Reactions: shb
How many Wh is the mavic 3 battery. It says spare batteries are not allowed in checked baggage, but it doesn't say specifically they are allowed in carry on.
Read it again .. it does say they are allowed in carry on.

DJI batteries have their capacity in Wh printed on them.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Read it again .. it does say they are allowed in carry on.

DJI batteries have their capacity in Wh printed on them.
I took that to mean when they're attached to their device. Not necessarily by themselves. Mavic 3 is 77 Wh

I took that to mean when they're attached to their device. Not necessarily by themselves. Mavic 3 is 77 Wh
They will be just fine.
No other airline differentiates between batteries in the drone and spares.
And the airline won't even see them ... just the airport security check-in people who see plenty every day.

Reactions: shb
I'm back from my trip. No problems at all at the airports. My bags were X-rayed twice at each airport, but never opened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s