DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off and Landing by hand..

Cerberus

Reactions
Does anyone here do it often?

I only did take off from hand once but been doing landings on hand a lot..

I'm not sure why but I like the feeling of the MP power submitting meekly to my hand... :p

hand take off and landing is not complicated as long as you take care, take your time and keep security in mind.
I m just wondering, when you have no plan area to initiate the bird and do the calibration/home point recording, does anyone had some issues in flight with the gimbal tilt/compass/IMU ?

Lol. It is pretty cool. It's like a trained bird that perches on your hand. It can also be like a hungry caged tiger if you're not careful.

Reactions: Cerberus
I have over 60 flights and I only hand launch and hand catch. I never turn off downward sensors, always keep my hand above my head, and never had a situation that was even close to feeling unsafe. The only one that was scary was my very first one. :)

hand take off and landing is not complicated as long as you take care, take your time and keep security in mind.
I m just wondering, when you have no plan area to initiate the bird and do the calibration/home point recording, does anyone had some issues in flight with the gimbal tilt/compass/IMU ?

I've done the IMU and compass calibration every time I get a new update.. and the last one was, what, 2 to 3 weeks ago..

Havent done any calibration since and my Bird still purrs wonderfully in the sky....
:)

Lol. It is pretty cool. It's like a trained bird that perches on your hand. It can also be like a hungry caged tiger if you're not careful.

I'm hesitant to ask whether you are male or female... but just in case you are female, can I have your number? HAHAHA, kidding. :p

I have over 60 flights and I only hand launch and hand catch. I never turn off downward sensors, always keep my hand above my head, and never had a situation that was even close to feeling unsafe. The only one that was scary was my very first one. :)

Yea, I don't turn the downward sensor off during hand landings too.. I find it a hassle to turn it on and off ... :)

I hand catch almost exclusively. I don't switch off VPS, I just switch off Landing Protection.

I think the main question is that WHERE ON THE MAVIC do you hand catch?
For me I just grab the front landing leg while it is right in front of me and hold the stick down to turn it off while i have it grabbed. I have heard other catch it from its belly? Seems overly complicated with those sensors.

I think the main question is that WHERE ON THE MAVIC do you hand catch?
For me I just grab the front landing leg while it is right in front of me and hold the stick down to turn it off while i have it grabbed. I have heard other catch it from its belly? Seems overly complicated with those sensors.
I don't really CATCH it at all. I just put my hand out, palm facing up, directly below the MP, hold left stick down and let it land gently on my palm. No grabbing, no holding, just let it land and shut off. Yes, it will come down and detect my hand as an obstacle and ascend slightly, but I continue to hold the left stick down and then it will descend again and gently land on the palm of my hand.

Reactions: westcoast604
Stupid question, how do you do hand take off and landings? How turn on rotors and how turn off in this case?

Stupid question, how do you do hand take off and landings? How turn on rotors and how turn off in this case?
Not a stupid question at all! I have attached a camera strap to the controller so that I can use it one handed. With the MP laying in the palm of my hand, I execute an Auto Takeoff on the controller. The tricky part is sliding the confirmation slider to the right. I am usually holding the controller so I slide it with my NOSE!! Looks silly, but I have gotten pretty good at it.

When landing, if you continue to hold the left stick down after it lands on your palm, it will auto shutdown.

Reactions: kona
Yea, I tried before by having my palm below the AC and pressing down on the stick to have it land on my palm before..

first time I tried, it works fine, second time, my hand jerked a little when it landed and almost had it fall on the ground, so I don't do it anymore..

I just grabbed the front part of the craft, quite close to the camera, avoiding the downward sensors from detecting my hand and press the downward stick.. works most of the time.. Only time I dont do this is if there is a strong gust of wind and my AC tends to wobble a little trying to stabilize itself.. Cases like this, I have it land on the ground..

I've done the IMU and compass calibration every time I get a new update.. and the last one was, what, 2 to 3 weeks ago..

Havent done any calibration since and my Bird still purrs wonderfully in the sky....
:)

Ive never calibrated even after updates. Plus I have flown in places 3000 miles apart. My Mavic has never asked to be calibrated so I have never calibrated it and it flies perfect. Over 250 flights now and counting.

Did anyone try landing with hand? while wifi controlling only with a phone (no controller)

It was painful! but I got used to it after 1st try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga