DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off/Land in areas prohibited

Ok this is about what I thought. I'm not trying to break any rules, just clarify. I couldn't find a decent definition of landing. In BC parks you simply can't land or take off. But since I really don't know exactly the definition of take of or land I wanted to clarify. Don't want to break the law/rule but don't want to simply miss out if it is possible.

btw the BC Parks statement is this:

Are Drones (UAV) allowed to be used in provincial parks?
An unmanned air vehicle (UAV), better known as a drone, is a power-driven aircraft of any size that is designed to fly without a human operator onboard and that may be remotely controlled or may have automated flight capability. In response to a growing number of questions from the public and companies on the rules for UAV use in provincial parks, please review the following information:

• Transport Canada (TC) and the Canadian Aviation Regulations regulate UAV use in Canada's airspace. See the TC website for more information on Flying Drones in Canada.
  • UAV operators must obtain permission from BC Parks to take-off and/or land in a protected area.
  • Requests to use UAVs for commercial purposes must be evaluated under BC Parks' Park Use Permit application process.
    • Note: TC's federal flight requirements for recreational use of UAVs include distances from people, buildings, built-up areas, and animals (both domestic and wildlife), meaning there are few, if any, locations in BC Parks where permission to fly UAVs can be granted and the pilot would still able to meet the current federal flight requirements.

That's exactly my point. We are not permitted to fly bvlos but some people will and I believe this is why flying in or over a National park should be restricted as a nfz unless one has permission of course.
Aren't National parks in Canada and the States considered nfz anyway?

In the United States, National Parks are not considered airspace TFRs and are technically not NFZs, although Airmap indicates them as advisory areas, and are commonly referred to as such by misinformed media.

The "ban" comes from a 2014 decision by the then NPS supervisor, as a "temporary" restriction using old manned aircraft regulations, only preventing take offs and landings, from NPS lands.

This was put into place as a temporary measure, until the park service could come up with a permanent plan for their inclusion.

This has nothing to do with airspace, with the exception of those lands designated as wilderness areas, over which ALL aircraft manned or otherwise must maintain 2000 ft AGL. The vast majority of the U.S. NPS lands are not wilderness areas.

ALthough I'm not holding my breath for a solution anytime soon, flying over NPS lands are still completely legal, and I have personally been told this by several NPS employees. In fact once when I inadvertently launched from just inside the boundary, a ranger pointed me to a spot just outside the boundary and said, "fly anywhere you want... from over there".

If you are told otherwise by anyone, including NPS Park personnel, they are simply misinformed.

This does not change the fact that a park ranger could easily be misinformed, or simply irritated by your pushing the limits, and make your life miserable by a ticket or confiscation, while you desperately try to prove your case.

For this and other practical reasons, I am not advocating for this approach. Until they get it worked out, you would only engender negative public reaction if an incident were to occur.

Legal or not, probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daviscj91