DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off/Land in areas prohibited

flyby

Reactions
And before anyone freaks, I'm not referring to airports or other dangerous areas like that. I'm talking State Parks or Provincial Parks.

I get the rules came from aircraft where landing would disturb potentially large amounts of wildlife.

But, what does landing actually mean? IE could a hand catch, or landing on the roof of a vehicle and never touching ground constitute *in* or *on*? That is just technically flying really low and then stopping flying.

I realize I'm splitting hairs here but it does beg the question if we should collectively pursue a better definition.

Landing means the end of flying without crashing . Simple .

It's not a case of landing on the ground or hand catching, it's, as you stated, "disturbing wildlife at low altitudes"!

Grey Wolf. OK I totally get that. But there is no rule about altitude for the BC Parks policy. So as long as I stop flying and don't land I could be considered inside the rules. A little silly but in my case there are some great scenes I'd consider filming if the rules allowed it.
I also realize that despite the rules there are local interpretations of the rules by the park operators. But I like to be inside the rules at least so when I get challenged I can show the print out of said rules.

Reality is that for most of these shots nobody would ever know I'm ever there anyway.

Grey Wolf. OK I totally get that. But there is no rule about altitude for the BC Parks policy. So as long as I stop flying and don't land I could be considered inside the rules. A little silly but in my case there are some great scenes I'd consider filming if the rules allowed it.
I also realize that despite the rules there are local interpretations of the rules by the park operators. But I like to be inside the rules at least so when I get challenged I can show the print out of said rules.

Reality is that for most of these shots nobody would ever know I'm ever there anyway.
The wildlife would know you are there and that is why the regs are in place!
No matter how high or low you fly in a National Park. It's not permitted, period!
Just use common sense!

Reactions: danman999
In the USA (not sure how the Canadian rules work), the rule says you can't take off and/or land within the park's boundaries. This does not prevent you from taking off & landing outside the park boundaries and flying over it. If you are not bothering people or wildlife it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Blades and dirkclod
In the USA (not sure how the Canadian rules work), the rule says you can't take off and/or land within the park's boundaries. This does not prevent you from taking off & landing outside the park boundaries and flying over it. If you are not bothering people or wildlife it shouldn't be a problem.
But how would you know if you're not bothering wildlife while flying a mile away?
I believe the rule means NO DRONES period!
I could be wrong, I hope I am but I'm pretty sure they interpret the rules to mean over the parks too!
I just wouldn't take a chance.

But how would you know if you're not bothering wildlife while flying a mile away?
I believe the rule means NO DRONES period!
I could be wrong, I hope I am but I'm pretty sure they interpret the rules to mean over the parks too!
I just wouldn't take a chance.
Many of the rules were made specifically for full-scale aircraft many years ago and adapted for drones. The park service doesn't control the airspace above the park, the FAA does. Also, why would you be a mile out? That is about a 1/2 mile out of LOS is it not?

But there is no rule about altitude for the BC Parks policy. So as long as I stop flying and don't land I could be considered inside the rules.
No. This isn't middle school. You make this argument to a park ranger and he's just going to laugh at you as he writes you a ticket.

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
I agree, but common sense and courtesy seem to be in short supply amongst drone operators.

So true. There was a video on YouTube of a drone chasing a flock of birds. The public, generally, will not stand for this kind of thing and even more negative public opinion could see more and more restrictions. People need to stop looking for loopholes.

Reactions: Mr. Salty

If you take off or land outside the park borders, you are legal to fly over the park. There is sufficient support in writing for you to show if asked. Flying safely and responsibly when in that airspace is up to you and is not currently regulated. In the US.

Since we are limited to 400', and you take off and land from outside the park, its still legal given the low altitude?

Many of the rules were made specifically for full-scale aircraft many years ago and adapted for drones. The park service doesn't control the airspace above the park, the FAA does. Also, why would you be a mile out? That is about a 1/2 mile out of LOS is it not?
That's exactly my point. We are not permitted to fly bvlos but some people will and I believe this is why flying in or over a National park should be restricted as a nfz unless one has permission of course.
Aren't National parks in Canada and the States considered nfz anyway?

And before anyone freaks, I'm not referring to airports or other dangerous areas like that. I'm talking State Parks or Provincial Parks.

But, what does landing actually mean? IE could a hand catch, or landing on the roof of a vehicle and never touching ground constitute *in* or *on*? That is just technically flying really low and then stopping flying..
Without being able to see the regulation you are wanting a comment on, it's difficult to know.

Usually these regulations include operating from the park.

Landing will most likely also mean you standing on their property and launching and any type of landing. You could feel free to split hairs and argue that catching is not landing but I think we know how that would work out.

Since we are limited to 400', and you take off and land from outside the park, its still legal given the low altitude?
It is legal, but visibly disturbing people or wildlife should probably be avoided. Also, you are not limited to 400' unless flying commercially.

Reactions: MesaAZGuy
Without being able to see the regulation you are wanting a comment on, it's difficult to know.

Usually these regulations include operating from the park.

Landing will most likely also mean you standing on their property and launching and any type of landing. You could feel free to split hairs and argue that catching is not landing but I think we know how that would work out.
I would go so far as to say that if you're standing in the park boundaries or your car is, that any type of landing is within the park and therefore prohibited. This would seem indefensible as Salty said above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daviscj91