DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nevada law for dangerous flying

DronyCali

Reactions
Thanks for the info on my previous (first) post with a run in with the cops. My car's dash cam did record a bit of the incident. When I asked the police what law I broke he cited a few bs statutes that did not apply to drones, but they he also cited NRS 493.100.

The way I read the statutes, it does NOT apply to drone operators unless they are flying recklessly over a park. Not sure if I'm interpriting this statute correctly. Does it only apply when flying over a park -OR- does it mean operating a drone recklessly ANYWHERE but a park? And further, does it only apply to "tricks" and "acrobatic flying" meaning it does NOT apply to flying straight and level.

Here is how the statute reads...

NRS 493.100  Dangerous flying: Penalty.

1.  Any operator or passenger, while an aircraft is in flight over a heavily populated area or over a public gathering within this state, who:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, engages in trick or acrobatic flying, or in any acrobatic feat;

(b) Except while in landing or taking off, flies at such a low level as to endanger the persons on the surface beneath; or

(c) Drops any object with reckless disregard for the safety of other persons and willful indifference to injuries that could reasonably result from dropping the object, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

2.  The provisions of paragraph (a) of subsection 1 do not apply to the operator of an unmanned aerial vehicle in a park unless the operator is operating the unmanned aerial vehicle with reckless disregard for the safety of other persons and with willful indifference to injuries that could reasonably result from such operation.

Here is the link to the official Nevada statute:

NRS 493.100 applies to all aircraft pilots and passengers and 493.100 2. states that section 1. does not apply to a UAS pilot in a park that is not endangering other park patrons.

NRS 493.103 on the other hand is in direct violation of FAA regulations governing the NAS. There is nothing in the rules for operating a UAS about having to maintain 250’ AGL above properties. This effectively restricts operation of a UAV to a 150’ corridor. @Vic Moss might want to look into this one.

NRS 493.109 is in serious need of being updated as it does not conform to federal guidelines instituted since 2018. It should reference the UAS Facilities Map ArcGIS Web Application for referencing where UAS are allowed and not allowed to fly.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi