DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Civil penalties for violations have been inflation-adjusted (Dec 2023)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This information was posted on several internet/FB page from an Aviation Attorney, Jonathan Rupprecht, who has been involved deeply with aviation (Manned and UnManned) for many decades.
Civil penalties for violations have been inflation-adjusted.
  • “General civil penalty for violations of certain aviation economic regulations and statutes involving an individual or small business concern” is $1,828​
  • “Violation of hazardous materials transportation law” is $99,756​
  • “Minimum penalty for violation of hazardous materials transportation law relating to training” is $601​
  • “Violation by an individual or small business concern related to the transportation of hazardous materials” is $16,630​
  • “Operating an unmanned aircraft and in so doing knowingly or recklessly interfering with a wildfire suppression, law enforcement, or emergency response effort” is $25,455​

And yet we have a revolving door criminal justice system where repeat offenders get let off time and time again for crimes that cause real suffering

And yet we have a revolving door criminal justice system where repeat offenders get let off time and time again for crimes that cause real suffering

I see your point... When a Fire Suppression Aircraft is averted/delayed due to a UAS in the vicinity and homes burn or lives are lost there's no real suffering...

When a UAS flies into a MANNED aircraft (let's assume no bodily harm due to a safe emergency landing) and it's $60K (USD) there's no real suffering...

When a UAS flies, inside of a TFR, well beyond VLOS, and strikes a US Army Black Hawk (UH-60) helicopter, causing an emergency landing and upwards of $250K (USD) there's no real suffering...

Or maybe, you don't like rules, regulations, and penalties when they could directly affect you?? Sometimes we need to think BIG PICTURE and outside of our own little "box".

Seems to me that some of those are unconstitutional (eighth amendment on excessive fines).

Seriously? You took that from it?

For arguments sake, what would you suggest is a "reasonable" fine for each of those?

• “General civil penalty for violations of certain aviation economic regulations and statutes involving an individual or small business concern” is $1,828 @sadatoni suggestion - $
  • “Violation of hazardous materials transportation law” is $99,756 @sadatoni suggestion - $
  • “Minimum penalty for violation of hazardous materials transportation law relating to training” is $601 @sadatoni suggestion - $
  • “Violation by an individual or small business concern related to the transportation of hazardous materials” is $16,630 @sadatoni suggestion - $
  • “Operating an unmanned aircraft and in so doing knowingly or recklessly interfering with a wildfire suppression, law enforcement, or emergency response effort” is $25,455 @sadatoni suggestion - $

Personally, I feel like the charges could be higher than those listed... if the "fine" doesn't hurt then what is going to keep people from repeating that actions?

Personally, I feel like the charges could be higher than those listed... if the "fine" doesn't hurt then what is going to keep people from repeating that actions?

Thanks , you made my earlier point . If we keep letting criminals - shoplifters , burglars , joyriders out into the public via a revolving door court system . Point I'm making is that the law is so ready to pounce on a drone infringement and place a massive fine on same whilst other crimes go unpunished .Another bug bear is the explosion in e-scooters and bikes and little to no legistration or police enforcement of these , despite many deaths caused by same . Drones haven't killed anyone yet but law makers are falling over themselves dreaming up new laws and restrictions.

Thanks , you made my earlier point . If we keep letting criminals - shoplifters , burglars , joyriders out into the public via a revolving door court system . Point I'm making is that the law is so ready to pounce on a drone infringement and place a massive fine on same whilst other crimes go unpunished .Another bug bear is the explosion in e-scooters and bikes and little to no legistration or police enforcement of these , despite many deaths caused by same . Drones haven't killed anyone yet but law makers are falling over themselves dreaming up new laws and restrictions.

Contact your governing people and create the change you desire.

For now, let's stay on track and keep this about UAS Penalties for doing ILLEGAL activities.

Reactions: Torque