DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Takeoff and Land from a Kayak?

markp99

Reactions
Not quite the season up here in New Hampshire, but I can envision wanting to fly as we kayak (flat water) in some of the more remote lakes/steams.

Feasible for MM hand landing while on the water, seated in the cockpit? Anyone try and have experiences to share?

Well ... using it from a kayak means that you raise all risks substantially. No stable launch or land point, hand catching sitting down in close face/eye level (windy, ouch). No reliable HP as you are moving, no certain reserve spot to land ... surrounded of water & unscouted forrest beside the water.

Multiple thing's to focus on ... your paddle slides away, sunglasses are in the way, you loose VLOS ...

Yeah ... a situation somewhat set up for disaster.

Reactions: Gindra and Rick W
Well ... using it from a kayak means that you raise all risks substantially. No stable launch or land point, hand catching sitting down in close face/eye level (windy, ouch). No reliable HP as you are moving, no certain reserve spot to land ... surrounded of water & unscouted forrest beside the water.

Multiple thing's to focus on ... your paddle slides away, sunglasses are in the way, you loose VLOS ...

Yeah ... a situation somewhat set up for disaster.

Yes, what slup said. Risk/reward. Wish you well in your efforts. Report back.

Reactions: Gindra
Yes, you guys have confirmed my concerns. Moving HP is a great one I did not consider, as well as limited reach for hand launch/landing.

Not worth it. I can certainly bring the MM along in its Pelican case, but take out only after landing the kayak ashore in a clear area.

/Thanks!

Although it may not reduce the overall risk or loosing your drone in the drink you could try one of those rigid landing pads. It would at least minimize potential lacerations.

Yes, you guys have confirmed my concerns. Moving HP is a great one I did not consider, as well as limited reach for hand launch/landing.

Not worth it. I can certainly bring the MM along in its Pelican case, but take out only after landing the kayak ashore in a clear area.

/Thanks!

Good thinking.This is my setup, when knocking about. mmpeliancase.jpg Enjoy your safe flying.

Reactions: markp99
I'm not sure how far from shore you intend to go, but perhaps you could turn on the drone, allow it to set a Home Point on land, and then paddle out and then launch it. That way, if you do need to use RTH, it would at least land on terra firma.

Reactions: Mrveronn
I tried it with my Spark last September (don't have a MM) and had mixed results. The first time, I launched from the kayak it went well and I was able to land back in my hand without any problems, however on the second attempt on the same day the downward sensors didn't like it and I had trouble getting it close enough to grab - it kept wanting to fly back up. Eventually the low battery RTH kicked in, which I cancelled and had to quickly get out of kayak and land in my hand. I tried all of this in calm shallow water near shore.

Here's the video (Spark Active Track plus footage from cheap Action cam). It was a test of the launch and land so I did not use manual settings as I usually do so some of the footage is overexposed.

What I learned:
• Spark is easy to launch with the double tap on the battery button, BUT landing is very tricky with a small drone especially with the downward sensors. I may try again in spring with sensors off, let it hover, then grab.
• As others have said, there is multiple things to focus on making it very difficult to land.
• Spark battery life is too short, MM has much longer life and may be more worth it.
• Bring AC in for a landing well before battery gets low. Even though I brought Spark down at 40%, I still had trouble
• An anchor helps but the kayak still moves around even in completely calm water
• Keeping everything dry is a challenge even with a dry bag.
• a contingency plan is needed.

I haven't given up on using either my Spark or my P3S while kayaking but need to find a better system to make it easier.

Chris

Reactions: slup
I'm flying a Mavic Air so slight difference. But several times now I have taken of then landed when out on the kayak.. the first time I chickened out and launched from the shore to give a good HO then hand caught at the end.. leaving enough for a RTH if it looked like I wouldn't manage.. after that attempt the next I launched from the deck. That time I had a shore 100m away that would have been my escape route.. now I've done it a few times I launch from deck and catch to land.. my biggest worry now is the phone and controller.. I did look at floats or a wetsuit for my air but nothing looked good enough to risk landing on water..

I have tried it with my Mavic Pro already 2 years ago and don't do it again, even with the Mini. While takeoff is simple when starting from hand, landing is extremely risky. When my Mavic apporached the kayak its downwash blew the kayak away, so I was not able to securely grab it in the air as I do normally in the field.

I have tried it with my Mavic Pro already 2 years ago and don't do it again, even with the Mini. While takeoff is simple when starting from hand, landing is extremely risky. When my Mavic apporached the kayak its downwash blew the kayak away, so I was not able to securely grab it in the air as I do normally in the field.
How much difference in down wash is there? I normally hover and paddle straight at the air grabbing as I go past

Like you I found the take-off easy but landing was tricky and risky with little room for any error. One of the biggest problems I think is that there is not much to grab onto on a small compact drone like a Mavic, or Spark and the downward sensors fight the landing which makes it very difficult when you are in a sitting position with very little room to move around on a constantly moving platform. I did try (on land) turning off my sensors to see if that was an option, but did not like how fast the Spark came down, plus the hover was not near as stable as with them on which is a significant problem on a moving platform with very little drone surface area to grab.

I am not giving up though. I'm now considering using my Phantom 3 Standard while kayaking as it is easy to hand catch, the props are further from my hands, and there is more surface to grab onto. Also, it does not have bottom sensors that fight you when you try to grab it. For launching, I am thinking of using my transmitter harness so I can do a one handed motor start then hand launch.

Chris

/Thanks!
When I did some Mavic Pro kayaking, I left the drone powered up on the shore line, got in the kayak, fired up the Mavic. HP set to the point on dry land, no over hanging trees. Then I paddled and photographed eventually return to original launch point, both kayak and Mavic (obviously this was a lake, not river/stream, so I knew the end point). Drone loss of connection should have sent it to dry land and when I was done I landed on the same place.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial