DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking a drone from the UK to Cyprus

Mrktn

Reactions
Hi everyone, newbie here.

I have a sub 250g drone, the DJI Mini 3 Pro.

I’m going to Cyprus in a few weeks time, have registered on Cyprus CAA for an operator ID (first time in EU country with drone). ID sticker on drone. LIPO bag for batteries. Have owned this drone for about a month. Completed the A1 + A3 EASA certificate.

Has anyone flying from the UK to Cyprus had any issues going through airport security? Flying from London Stansted.

Many thanks

Has anyone flying from the UK to Cyprus had any issues going through airport security? Flying from London Stansted.
People fly every day, no-one ate check in will care.
All that's necessary is that your batteries must be in your carry on and not in checked luggage.
Lipo bags and charge levels don't matter at all.

Reactions: RoarRoar and Mrktn
Thanks, this is for anyone who has taken their drone to Cyprus, what are the authorities like towards drone users?

I’m going to Cyprus in a few weeks time, have registered on Cyprus CAA for an operator ID (first time in EU country with drone). ID sticker on drone. LIPO bag for batteries. Have owned this drone for about a month. Completed the A1 + A3 EASA certificate.

Many thanks
Hi, I live in Cyprus and travel often backwards and forwards to the UK. As long as you take the batteries in your hand luggage there's no problem. BTW, the flying here is amazing.

Reactions: Mrktn
Hi, I live in Cyprus and travel often backwards and forwards to the UK. As long as you take the batteries in your hand luggage there's no problem. BTW, the flying here is amazing.
Thanks Mike, sorry missed your reply - didn’t get a notification even though watching the thread. Staying in Ayia Napa / Protaras region for 11 nights.

That’s reassuring to know, really apprehensive taking it out of country first time. Will take my drone proof of purchase and certificates with me.

Will of course observe my training and ethics. How do you find the Cypriots are towards drones in general?

Thanks Mike, sorry missed your reply - didn’t get a notification even though watching the thread. Staying in Ayia Napa / Protaras region for 11 nights.

That’s reassuring to know, really apprehensive taking it out of country first time. Will take my drone proof of purchase and certificates with me.

Will of course observe my training and ethics. How do you find the Cypriots are towards drones in general?
The younger Cypriots are so used to them they don't care, the older generation occasionally tut but nothing more. Have a look at the Cypriot Facebook dji drone sites. If you're flying a mini Pro they are so silent most people don't even see them! Happy flying

Thanks again Mike.

Anywhere of interest to take the drone in the south?

I have the sea caves and Cape Greco in mind, Makronissos, Fig Tree Bay, Green Bay, Nissi Beach, Ayia Napa marina.

Would welcome your suggestions 🙂

Seacaves is amazing to fly, there's an island called St Georges which is in easy reach too from Seacaves. Just up the road is a wreck caught on the rocks, you'll find it on Google EDRO III. Also this way a lot of the churches are worth flying

Had an amazing time in Cyprus, arrived back Friday 14th to driving rain lol.

No issues through airport security. Just had to open the drone hard case, containing Mini 3 Pro, rc controller and charging hub with two additional batteries then it went through x-ray. Next time I’ll be a lot more comfortable with it.

Windy conditions meant I only got her up in the air once, over Nissi Beach.

I did speak to some locals about St George’s and they didn’t know where that was.

Had an amazing time in Cyprus, arrived back Friday 14th to driving rain lol.

No issues through airport security. Just had to open the drone hard case, containing Mini 3 Pro, rc controller and charging hub with two additional batteries then it went through x-ray. Next time I’ll be a lot more comfortable with it.

Windy conditions meant I only got her up in the air once, over Nissi Beach.

I did speak to some locals about St George’s and they didn’t know where that was.
It has been unusually windy which is such a shame for you. St Georges is at the other end of the Island. The weather has now turned...28c and blue sky!

• Sad
It has been unusually windy which is such a shame for you. St Georges is at the other end of the Island. The weather has now turned...28c and blue sky!
Typical 🙄🙂

Yeah quite unlucky but have been told by locals it’s typical to be windy on the island in April.

Had an amazing time though, sunburnt even with SPF50 and now have a nice colour. Can’t get enough of Cyprus, you’re so lucky to live there.

I did plenty of GoPro filming Macronnisos, Fig Tree Bay, Konnos Bay, Pernera Beach, sea caves, Cavo Greco, Profitis Elias chapel, Agia THEKLA amongst others just not much aerial wise.

Hoping to come back next year to the Sunrise Jade in Proteras.

Where we stayed we were about a 10 minute walk from any scenic sunsets so in hindsight not the best place for photography

Now booked for next April, hotel near Makronissos beach. Planning a day trip to Zapalo Bay, Episkopi and Governors Beach, will be staying there long enough for the sunset 😊

Anyone had the privilege of flying along Zapalo?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up - just viewed some YT footage of St George’s. Looks very nice. May take a hire car there when we come back in April 🙂

Many thanks

Hi there,

Have you been on your trip? Just wondering how it went with getting your drone to Cyprus as I'm going in a month or so

Hi there,

Have you been on your trip? Just wondering how it went with getting your drone to Cyprus as I'm going in a month or so
Hi,

Yes, been and returned, flew from Stansted to Larnaca.

No issues, carried my drone, rc and three batteries through carry on luggage. Just opened the case it was in and put it in the containers that go through x-ray so security could see what it was. Use a GoPro backpack that contains a GoPro and accessories. No issues through security on way back either - drones are pretty common nowadays.

Normal max altitude applies in Cyprus - 120m.

Feel free to ask anything and I’ll do my best to answer

Attachments

• IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

Yes, been and returned, flew from Stansted to Larnaca.

No issues, carried my drone, rc and three batteries through carry on luggage. Just opened the case it was in and put it in the containers that go through x-ray so security could see what it was. Use a GoPro backpack that contains a GoPro and accessories. No issues through security on way back either - drones are pretty common nowadays.

Normal max altitude applies in Cyprus - 120m.

Feel free to ask anything and I’ll do my best to answer
Hi,

Thank you for that information as well as the pictures!!! Much appreciated!

What's that sticker on your drone?
I'm new to the drone world.
I know I have to register it in the UK and get a flyer ID and a Operator ID I believe.

Do I had to register it in cyprus as well?

Thank you again

You need to register the drone with the CAA in first EU country you fly in, so in my case it was Cyprus.

The registration fee is a single payment taken in euros, was about £13ish if I recall correctly and covers three years. Once paid you can fly in any other EU country subject to there being no banning restrictions in that country. But you’ll need to be familiar with each countries’ entry requirements.

You’ll get an operator ID similar to the UK and it must be displayed on the body of the drone either external or internal where it can be accessed without any tools being needed.

What drone are you taking over there? I am replying in the context of mine which is under 250g Mini 3 Pro

You need to register the drone with the CAA in first EU country you fly in, so in my case it was Cyprus.

The registration fee is a single payment taken in euros, was about £13ish if I recall correctly and covers three years. Once paid you can fly in any other EU country subject to there being no banning restrictions in that country. But you’ll need to be familiar with each countries’ entry requirements.

You’ll get an operator ID similar to the UK and it must be displayed on the body of the drone either external or internal where it can be accessed without any tools being needed.

What drone are you taking over there? I am replying in the context of mine which is under 250g Mini 3 Pro
Hi

I will be taking the same drone - DJI mini 3 Pro

Just so I'm understanding.
I need to register my drone with the CAA to be able to fly it in Cyprus.
Which is £13 ish
Displayed on the drone which is easily seen

Do I need to register it in the UK as well? As I live here?
I don't tend to fly it here.

You need to register it with the Cyprus equivalent of the CAA - each country has its own aviation authority website otherwise yes to all.

If you absolutely don’t fly it in the UK then you don’t need a separate UK operator ID. If you fly it in the UK even once you do need a separate UK operator ID otherwise you’re at risk of a fine / prosecution. To get a UK operator ID, it costs £10 per year and the operator ID must be displayed in the same way as an EU one.

If you renew either operator ID, they will both remain the same when you pay to extend.

Last edited:
You need to register it with the Cyprus equivalent of the CAA - each country has its own aviation authority website otherwise yes to all.

If you absolutely don’t fly it in the UK then you don’t need a separate UK operator ID. If you fly it in the UK even once you do need a separate UK operator ID otherwise you’re at risk of a fine / prosecution. To get a UK operator ID, it costs £10 per year and the operator ID must be displayed in the same way as an EU one.

If you renew either operator ID, they will both remain the same when you pay to extend.
Hi,

I have done the flyer ID and will be doing the Operator ID later today.

I can't find what I have to do for Cyprus. Do you happen to have a link?
Is it another test or will it be similar to "paying for the Operator ID"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78