DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking off 1 kilometre away

After all, the lady does say "the home point has been updated, please check it on the map".

We usually use LOS when dealing with high frequency transmissions that don't penetrate objects very well. It can be too far to see, but still unobstructed.
VLOS however is used with visual observation where there's no obstacle but too far to see.

Yes it establishes a new home point. Just means you have to fly it manually to the original HP. Your scenario is real, but I have not had a problem. ...and if you watched the video above you noticed there are no trails on the mountain I flew.
Wow, this seems quite risky, and quite a long hike if things go wrong. Based on this terrain, if the drone ends up auto-landing due to a loss of signal, it seems likely it will be a crash landing.

Default of fail safe is RTH. Since HP is set on takeoff, it would return to the second TO point if signal was lost.

Default of fail safe is RTH. Since HP is set on takeoff, it would return to the second TO point if signal was lost.
As I stated above.
@Steve F that is true as I said. Greater risks are commonly taken based on posts in the forum overall. Just depends on what you want and if you do it w/o hacking or third party apps.

No.. you must have visual line of site to get controller connection.
You must have vlos as the law. The drone can fly and land and take off a lot further then you can see it, vlos. That's what makes it safer just people exploit it and fly illegal. Fun but unsafe.

You must have vlos as the law. The drone can fly and land and take off a lot further then you can see it, vlos. That's what makes it safer just people exploit it and fly illegal. Fun but unsafe.
True, but made the assumption of legal flight.

Hi to all the experienced members

May I ask a technical question regarding a hypothetical scenario please?

If one flies the Mini 2 in circles for lets say a total distance of 10km and it loses battery power, and then lands by your friend's house 1 kilometre away. If he inserts a new battery at his house while I am still at my house, then can I take off from his house with my RC which is 1 kilometre away from the drone? Is this possible?

Sorry for asking such technical questions.

Thank you again

Best wishes
I have found that you can only takeoff from a distance if your controller says you are connected. Usually that means line of sight with very few obstructions. I have successfully only been about a block away. You also loose your original RTH if you land and then take off

Hi to all the experienced members

May I ask a technical question regarding a hypothetical scenario please?

If one flies the Mini 2 in circles for lets say a total distance of 10km and it loses battery power, and then lands by your friend's house 1 kilometre away. If he inserts a new battery at his house while I am still at my house, then can I take off from his house with my RC which is 1 kilometre away from the drone? Is this possible?

Sorry for asking such technical questions.

Thank you again

Best wishes
I would guess "no" because getting connection to the RC while the drone is on the ground 1 KM away would be nearly impossible. On the off chance that the drone DOES establish connection with the remote, I see no reason why not.

D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent