DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking off 1 kilometre away

NewbieNewbie

Reactions
Hi to all the experienced members

May I ask a technical question regarding a hypothetical scenario please?

If one flies the Mini 2 in circles for lets say a total distance of 10km and it loses battery power, and then lands by your friend's house 1 kilometre away. If he inserts a new battery at his house while I am still at my house, then can I take off from his house with my RC which is 1 kilometre away from the drone? Is this possible?

Sorry for asking such technical questions.

Thank you again

Best wishes

Reactions: Romulus Archibald

If one flies the Mini 2 in circles for lets say a total distance of 10km and it loses battery power, and then lands by your friend's house 1 kilometre away. If he inserts a new battery at his house while I am still at my house, then can I take off from his house with my RC which is 1 kilometre away from the drone? Is this possible?

Thank you again

Best wishes
If you have VLOS(ie, can see the drone) then yes, at least with my M2P.

Thank you kindly for this Thomas. When you say VLOS, do you mean it is automatically programmed to be a 500 metre distance from the RC that one can take off?
Thank you again
Best wishes

Thank you again

Best wishes

I think it's rare that you still have a solid connection all the way to ground level when the drone is 1KM away. It would really depend on the terrain, both where the drone is located and where the controller is located, and if there are any obstacles in between.

Last edited:

Thank you again

Best wishes
These are called Remote Landings and it will work however as others have pointed out you will need to be elevated , unfortunately at that distance it will not work unless you have the elevation and clear line of sight.

You can also remote land , with battery left and the drone will shut down and you can restart it again , i would practice that first and get a better sense of your drone ability.

The Mini 2 has been a little on the sketchy side for us on the Remote landing on the water , which is why we did not release the Rescue Jackets yet so practice from below and than above.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain

I use the technique to climb above mountains over 1600’ from TO AGL. When you land, changing battery or not, altitude resets to zero... here’s an example of what can be done. I did remain w/in 400’ from slope of the mountain and it’s peak. Had to search for a landing place tilted slightly towards me while watching signal strength. The vid below was made with a remote landing/TO about a mile away... visualized drone via 4 ARC XLs

I use the technique to climb above mountains over 1600’ from TO AGL. When you land, changing battery or not, altitude resets to zero... here’s an example of what can be done. I did remain w/in 400’ from slope of the mountain and it’s peak. Had to search for a landing place tilted slightly towards me while watching signal strength. The vid below was made with a remote landing/TO about a mile away... visualized drone via 4 ARC XLs
Very interesting , so you remote land , to reset to zero that is awesome, do the motors have to turn off for that to happen or just the landing ? You have to do some careful flying to get up that mountain that was awesome and not easy flying .

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Very interesting , so you remote land , to reset to zero that is awesome, do the motors have to turn off for that to happen or just the landing ? You have to do some careful flying to get up that mountain that was awesome and not easy flying .
Don’t turn anything off to follow the example I give... just land... wait 20 seconds or so... then TO.

There's no way to land without the motors stopping. It has to do with landing protection. Within the last 2 feet, AC commits to landing after a pause at the 2 ft level.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hi

Thomas B and​

dawgpilot and​

Phantomrain.org and​

DanMan32 and​

Claretcass

Thank you to everyone for the comprehensive discussion and explanations and video.

Initially I had thought the sheer strength of the Occusync might overcome the need for the flat ground, but you are saying this is not the case.

Many thanks
Best wishes

No.. you must have visual line of site to get controller connection.
I’d have to disagree with that. What you can see or not see doesn’t affect electronics. It affects safety, because you may not know what’s around your takeoff area. And it affects legality, because you are supposed to have VLOS at all times. But what you see or don’t see doesn’t affect ekectronic connections; that’s a scientific impossibility.

Don’t turn anything off to follow the example I give... just land... wait 20 seconds or so... then TO.
When you take off, is a new home point established? Hate for something to happen and it returns to your remote landing location. Tough recovery.

Yes. You need to be very careful about setting failsafe behavior and manually setting the home point appropriately when doing stuff like this, and thus really understand clearly how things work.

When you take off, is a new home point established? Hate for something to happen and it returns to your remote landing location. Tough recovery.
Yes it establishes a new home point. Just means you have to fly it manually to the original HP. Your scenario is real, but I have not had a problem. ...and if you watched the video above you noticed there are no trails on the mountain I flew.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS