DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking Off From Railroad Tracks?

FASTFJR

Reactions
Next week I'll be going to NH to film some people ice climbing. The only way to the location is to walk down some railroad tracks (not used) about 1 mile to the location. Very little room on the side to take off. I'm wondering just how far I need to be away from the tracks when I take off so they don't screw with my compass? I'm picturing myself holding the Mavic above my head LOL.

Thanks

If you hand launch/land you should not have a compass problem caused by the tracks but try to be as far from them as you can. RR tracks are made of high-quality steel and could potentially cause problems.

Reactions: FASTFJR
If you hand launch/land you should not have a compass problem caused by the tracks but try to be as far from them as you can. RR tracks are made of high-quality steel and could potentially cause problems.

Thanks

Next week I'll be going to NH to film some people ice climbing. The only way to the location is to walk down some railroad tracks (not used) about 1 mile to the location. Very little room on the side to take off. I'm wondering just how far I need to be away from the tracks when I take off so they don't screw with my compass? I'm picturing myself holding the Mavic above my head LOL.

Thanks

It’s also going to depend on where exactly you’ll be shooting. There is a lot of climbing in the Frankenstein Cliffs area. If they’re climbing someplace like Trestle Slabs, they’ll be climbing right from the tracks. In places like Lost in the Woods, and others you’re going to have a short hike/climb through the woods and may be able to launch right from the base of the climb. Of course this is assuming you are in fact referring to the Frankenstein Cliffs area in Crawford Notch.

It’s also going to depend on where exactly you’ll be shooting. There is a lot of climbing in the Frankenstein Cliffs area. If they’re climbing someplace like Trestle Slabs, they’ll be climbing right from the tracks. In places like Lost in the Woods, and others you’re going to have a short hike/climb through the woods and may be able to launch right from the base of the climb. Of course this is assuming you are in fact referring to the Frankenstein Cliffs area in Crawford Notch.

Your correct, as of now I'm not sure where they will be. I won't find out until Sunday morning. The weather for late Friday and Saturday is rain, followed by a cold blast then snow Tuesday thru Thursday morning??? Even if the don't climb it looks like a cool area, we are staying in Jackson. I'm really looking for some frozen water falls, can you recommend any other than Jackson Falls? I was also thinking about filming around Cathedral Ledge. My son was climbing there two years ago and I get some great shots of him

Reactions: jsinon
Your correct, as of now I'm not sure where they will be. I won't find out until Sunday morning. The weather for late Friday and Saturday is rain, followed by a cold blast then snow Tuesday thru Thursday morning??? Even if the don't climb it looks like a cool area, we are staying in Jackson. I'm really looking for some frozen water falls, can you recommend any other than Jackson Falls? I was also thinking about filming around Cathedral Ledge. My son was climbing there two years ago and I get some great shots of him
Rocky Gorge along the Kancamagus Hwy is a really nice waterfall, easy to get to. Also, Diana’s Baths, not far from Cathedral could be nice. Sabbaday, also along the Kanc is nice too. Really, there’s too many waterfalls to list.

Rocky Gorge along the Kancamagus Hwy is a really nice waterfall, easy to get to. Also, Diana’s Baths, not far from Cathedral could be nice. Sabbaday, also along the Kanc is nice too. Really, there’s too many waterfalls to list.

Excellent! Many thanks!

Here are some photos from ice climbing in the areas discussed. These were taken by one of my climbing partners 42 years ago, so my knowledge of where we were exactly was lost with brain cells years ago.o_O I don't even know if the pics were taken at the same place. In the shot looking down you can see the railroad tracks at the base and the road in the distance. We would sometimes just throw a tarp out on the snow and sleep at the base of the climb.moore_05212013_00125_800w.pngmoore_05212013_00127_800w.pngmoore_05212013_00135_800w.png

Last edited:
Railroad tracks “can”cause magnetic interference with the compass. I fly close to railroad tracks and sometimes they cause me trouble but for the most part it doesn’t create issues.
Any type of metal (rebar in concrete, railroad tracks, etc.) are potential problems for the compass due to magnetic interference. For me it’s a hit or miss proposition that sometimes (but not always) causes problems with the compass.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy