DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Technical H265 Question

I respect your opinion and you seem very knowledge about a lot of things but just to test your theory I just opened a 135.7MB 32-bit HDR .tiff file in Lightroom mobile and it opened right up and I was able to edit it in real time.

I also opened the same photo but in 16bit .DNG HDR and also opened just fine and was able to edit it in real time.

I exported them to my files app because iOS does in fact have a file system. And the .JPEGs rendered instantaneously. Something that would have taken my MacBook Pro a second or two to do. Also I was using an iPhone 8 not an iPad Pro.

I still prefer to do them on my computer because that’s what I am use to but it seems the fusion chips are plenty capable of doing these things I’m not sure why it was giving you so much trouble.

There may not be a program for batch edits on the iPad (maybe photoshop?) but if not it’s just a matter of time.

Before you dismiss the idea try opening the same 4K video file on your iPad and in your video editor of choice on your computer. Do a few basic adjustments on both platforms and then render both in H.265 and see how rendering times compare. This is the test that made my jaw drop and I bet yours will too if you think the iPad Pro can be bested by modest PC.

There’s certainly room for improvement on the programming side I would like to see adobe make a full featured Premier Pro for iPad Pro but to say the hardware can’t handle it just hasn’t been my actual experience when using it. I can render a 5 minute 4K 30fps video in just a couple of minutes into H.265 with my iPhone 8, which isn’t as powerful as the iPad Pro. I don’t any modest PC that is capable of that.

All I can tell you is with the tools I have at my disposal to test with, the RAW files from my Nikon D850 and M2P take ~8-10 seconds to open in Affinity on my 11" iPad Pro 2018 256GB. It's about the same with the Lightroom app. As someone who edits hundreds of RAW files at a time, going one-by-one like that would be simply impossible. For a single image edit for sharing on Facebook or whatever, it's fine. Editing is also not in real-time, and while certain effects are being applied, the image shifts from extremely poor resolution back to it's proper resolution while you move the sliders because it cannot render it instantly - maybe this is less noticeable on the iPhone 8, I don't have one to test with. With a M2P RAW file in Affinity, moving the sliders to adjust image properties shifts the image away from it's native resolution and it does not happen in what I would call real-time. It doesn't give me any trouble really, it just performs exactly as I would expect it to given the hardware limitations and what I am asking it to do.

JPEGs are less of an issue, and generally much snappier, as they should be, being tiny 8bit files with very limited processing leeway.

Nothing will batch edit on the iPad like you can on a PC, unfortunately. Not even Adobe's "fully featured" Photoshop app that is apparently coming at some point, unfortunately lacking many of the most critical features of desktop Photoshop (batch processing, custom color profiles, the thousands of available plug-ins, etc.)

I have a $6K PC custom built for photo/video editing, so any comparisons I do are not really fair. The iPad Pros can indeed render video pretty quickly, as I mentioned above, on the video side their limitations are less severe. The hardware limitations of the iPad are for the most part objective and physics based (wattage, clock speed, core count, etc.) Certain tasks can be performed very fast though due to heavy optimization, such as a video render. On top of this our hot water tank burst a couple weeks ago, and everything is out of the basement, including my PC :mad: Thankfully it did not get destroyed, but it'll be a while before I can do any testing with it haha.

The iPad also doesn't have a true file system. It has the files app, but it is nothing like an actual file system that you find on Windows OS, for example. You can't even do the simplest imaginable file-related tasks, such as drag & drop photos from a portable hard drive into a folder of your choice. Everything is funneled through the Photos app, which can't even display EXIF data. Apparently iOS 13 is going to add a lot of much needed functionality to the iPads making them more like the "laptop replacements" they are advertised as being. We will see. I love my iPad Pro 11", don't get me wrong, but some of it's limitations definitely frustrate me still and a laptop replacement it most definitely is not.

Typical photo editing would go something like this - import hundreds of 14bit RAW files into ACR from my D850, and go through them batch-applying custom Colorchecker profiles to the similar photos, correcting WB, batch applying certain adjustments, lens corrections, etc. Then bring them into Photoshop if necessary to use various plug-ins on them, etc. From start to finish, the entire typical professional photo editing workflow is literally impossible on an iPad. On top of that there is no way to properly calibrate the screen, which is an issue if you're doing critical paid work, prints, etc. Hopefully some of that functionality is eventually added, but between the weak (relatively speaking) hardware and mobile OS, it just doesn't have the ability at this juncture.

For comparison's sake, here in Canada you can regularly buy a Dell XPS 15 with 6-core i7 8750H CPU (35W), 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB GPU, 512GB PCI-E x4 SSD, and a matte screen than you can actually calibrate for $1750 CAD/ 1350 USD. Obviously, it's bigger and heavier so the value propositions aren't identical, but performance per dollar is in an entirely different league, and it has none of the application limitations. That is what I would consider to be a pretty standard laptop and at a price that is quite a bit less than a loaded iPad Pro, and almost exactly the same price as a 12.9" iPad pro 512GB WiFi.

The addition of USB-C was long over due and a big step forward for the iPad Pros, but even that is still fairly limited in its current state.

Anyway, I think we just have different uses and expectations from our editing machines :).

Reactions: kilomikebravo
FWIW, I regularly edit 52MB DNG RAW image files on iPhone 8 Plus using Lightroom CC. Instant opens, instant and real-time edits from exposure, color, geometry, etc. no delays, no fuzzy previews, just super snappy and instant.

While I don’t use Luma Fusion much but have recently started playing around with it, multiple 300-600MB HEVC H265 video files in a timeline all play smoothly without any stutter or issues. Something I simply cannot do in Davinci resolve on a fairly loads MBPro.

Perhaps the iPad needs an OS update / reset? Strange experience given that the A12X is much faster than the A11. Unless your iPad is 1st-Gen with the A10X chip which is slower than the iPhone 8 A11.

Reactions: brett8883
I am glad you find my posts helpful

You bet I do AND, I'm quite certain that thousands of others do as well. Funny, but other than your pro photography experience, we share all the others but I don't have a fraction of the info in my head that you do, amigo. Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786