DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Temporary Farewell

>>> Mapleton falls and a mini1. Too far down to retrieve.
I've looked at flying there a few times when I lived nearby, but always chickened out.
There just wasn't anywhere to get a good clear view from.
Now I know what it looks like down there.

That was painful to watch, looks like you lost GPS coming down to low.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
That was definitely painful to watch.

I have a similar video from my early droning days. I live in a canyon, and after flying mostly up from my house on one of the canyon walls, I decided to go down instead, and take a look at the creek below, where the pines and aspens mixed.

I gave it the command to rotate, so I could see what was around me, and it ended up moving laterally, where it got eaten by a demonic pine tree. Originally I had no idea what happened, but I eventually concluded that I had lost GPS lock, and that it was trying to come home.

I scrambled all the way down the crumbling canyon walls to the bottom, with way too much reckless abandon for an Old Fart like me. But by remembering how it had looked from above, and looking at the map history, and looking and the view around me, I was able to find it! It was lying on it's back, on some vegetation near the creek, with the sunlight filtering through the green leaves.

It looked undamaged...almost angelic there on it's back...but after I figured out how to get out of the canyon, and got home, it was clearly non-functional. DJI Care Refresh to the rescue, go buy another Mini-2 while I wait for it, and I was back in the air.

I still fly down the canyon as well as up, but never that deep again! I have a notion of some controlled experiments, gradually edging down the canyon, while keeping an eagle eye on the GPS sat count. Maybe I'll do that eventually.

TCS

That was definitely painful to watch.

I have a similar video from my early droning days. I live in a canyon, and after flying mostly up from my house on one of the canyon walls, I decided to go down instead, and take a look at the creek below, where the pines and aspens mixed.

I gave it the command to rotate, so I could see what was around me, and it ended up moving laterally, where it got eaten by a demonic pine tree. Originally I had no idea what happened, but I eventually concluded that I had lost GPS lock, and that it was trying to come home.

I scrambled all the way down the crumbling canyon walls to the bottom, with way too much reckless abandon for an Old Fart like me. But by remembering how it had looked from above, and looking at the map history, and looking and the view around me, I was able to find it! It was lying on it's back, on some vegetation near the creek, with the sunlight filtering through the green leaves.

It looked undamaged...almost angelic there on it's back...but after I figured out how to get out of the canyon, and got home, it was clearly non-functional. DJI Care Refresh to the rescue, go buy another Mini-2 while I wait for it, and I was back in the air.

I still fly down the canyon as well as up, but never that deep again! I have a notion of some controlled experiments, gradually edging down the canyon, while keeping an eagle eye on the GPS sat count. Maybe I'll do that eventually.

TCS
Yea the warnings were there but I was above the bird and could see it easily so made the rookie mistake of ignoring the messages!

Beautiful video until the part that hurts. I’d try asking DJI for a refurbished one. Yes it will cost but maybe not as much as a new one. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez