DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible Video quality - Mavic Pro

Kylie

Reactions
Hey guys,

I got the Mavic for a few month now but because of work I wasn't able to fly much lately. However I just bought some ND filters and started flying again. Now I know that the Mavic's low light capability isn't that great but nevertheless yesterday and today I went out early to catch the sunrise. In the past I never used ND filters so until now I really didn't pay attention to the "correct" shutter speed (like in 30fps, shutter 1/60th etc.).

Yesterday however I first tried out the ND filters (an ND8 by Polar Pro) but I made the mistake to reset the picture profile to normal which unfortunately resulted in a complete disaster. The video was completely blurry and not usable. I found out that the in camera noise reduction is so terrible that you really have to give +1 to sharpness in order to compensate for the noise reduction.

Well this morning I setup the drone with custom picture profile +1 / 0 / 0, shot in 4k 30fps with shutter speed at 1/60th, ISO 100, D-LOG and yeah...as I checked the footage a few minutes ago it's better but I have a hell lot of noise in it. I uploaded a non-edited version to Youtube so my question here is: is the Mavic really that bad in low light or is something off with my settings or am I just terrible at exposing or what. I appreciate any advice because I've seen a lot of footage that isn't nearly as bad as mine.

Here is the link to the video straight out of camera:

Oh btw: this is not the most terrible one. I'll try uploading another one where there is less light.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Well no. I only got an ND8, 16 and 32. The problem was that the sun was out partially and for the brighter parts I needed an ND8 to be able to shoot at 1/60th.

If you film in D-Log you must expect to do some signifigent post. I use a set of LUTs to start the process and then adjust.

Yeah I know but that still doesn't explain why my footage is that grainy...or am I expecting too much of the Mavic?

Let me use the subject of my colleague to ask. When shooting a video on a "M" and using ND filters, the exposure is constantly changing between +1.5 and -2. How do you solve this problem? Because you can not constantly change the filters on the fly? I can only change the shutter speed, but it is change the ratio of fps and shutter speed. It`s not good.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure