DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrific stuttering... what do I miss??

Andrea1976

Reactions
That's my new obsession. STUTTERING on pano footages. I took many info about the genesis of stuttering and all of these talk about the 180 roule and the FPS. I have tried to shoot in 30 fps and then put the clip in a 24 fps timeline in order to have a smooth video and it works in 80% of the times. Non in the panos. what do I miss? could be the micro sd? 30 fps and 1/60 should be fine.. but the problem is always there. Iwold like to do my best to learn how to shoot in the most cinematic manner so I choose 24 fps.. but it's impossible. I use a 2017 iMac 27 5k and Davinci Resolve (free version)
please help me.. my videos are terrible!

thanks a lot
Andrea

an exemple

I see what you mean towards the end 2:32 mark . You can try and do a fresh format of the SD card (after you move all the pics and footage off the card) Use the DJIGO4 app to format the card. Thats a low cost attempt at a solution.
I am assuming you ARE using a UHS 3 card as mentioned above.

Reactions: charliesRig
First, great shots... beautiful

Are you using a UHS Class 3 card like this one: Sandisk Extreme MicroSD
Thanks!
I'm using a samsung evo plus (guess class 3)
but in any case, why, if the problem is in the sd card writhing speed, the stuttering appears only in the panos (mostly in horizontal movements than in vertical)? in

cheers

More than likely it is not the SD card. There is a known issue that has been reported and DJI is aware that with the Mavic Pro 2 there is a horizontal glitching. They have yet to resolve the issue with a firmware update. Users of Lichti experience this much worse than you when planning a waypoint mission that has footage taken on the horizontal plane.

Here is a reference

Not getting smooth POI in Litchi - please help!

The stuttering here looks like it's due to mismatched framerates between your recorded footage and the timeline/export in your editing software.

Use 4k, 30 fps. Stop worrying about getting the Scorsese Award, and let the shutter speed go higher. Then slow it down later if it bothers you not to have the motion blur. Finally, you have a powerful computer just like mine. Drop down $300 and get Final Cut Pro X. That app can smooth out anything!

By the way... nice pan and gimbal movement.

Use 4k, 30 fps. Stop worrying about getting the Scorsese Award, and let the shutter speed go higher. Then slow it down later if it bothers you not to have the motion blur. Finally, you have a powerful computer just like mine. Drop down $300 and get Final Cut Pro X. That app can smooth out anything!

;)

ok, but why only in pan?
Your sample video only has one panning clip where we can see it, so not much to evaluate.

But I looked at some of my footage and can also see some stuttering in pan in a known good file, although much less pronounced. I think it's to do with the pan stabilisation not doing a good job. That's the only angle that doesn't have mechanical stabilization and relies on some software processing (that is notoriously bad in some conditions like low light on the anafi).

Your sample video only has one panning clip where we can see it, so not much to evaluate.

But I looked at some of my footage and can also see some stuttering in pan in a known good file, although much less pronounced. I think it's to do with the pan stabilisation not doing a good job. That's the only angle that doesn't have mechanical stabilization and relies on some software processing (that is notoriously bad in some conditions like low light on the anafi).
Ok, that's sounds very bad! Thanks

Nice footage! Concerning the panos I've also this problem... To avoid it you can try to shoot these panos as "point of interest". It works for me but itsn't always easy to determine exactly the point to follow... Good luck!

You can do active track spotlight mode and just pick the object you want the drone to focus on and then just fly your path. The Mavic "should" keep that chosen object as the POI or point of focus.

Reactions: charliesRig
The slower the frame rate the more pronounced the stuttering. Imagine if your frame rate was 2 fps and you viewed that, the image would change considerably in that time between shots, it would stutter. You can see that viewing old (and new) movies if you observe the background. Best to shoot at 30 fps, even better at 60 fps, for smooth motion, or shoot interlaced to reduce the effect. Forger the so called "cinematic" look, it takes a lot of practice and the following of strict rules to achieve. Check out some video's on the subject on YouTube. IQ something (forget the complete name) has a great tutorial on it.

Reactions: Andrea1976
The slower the frame rate the more pronounced the stuttering. Imagine if your frame rate was 2 fps and you viewed that, the image would change considerably in that time between shots, it would stutter. You can see that viewing old (and new) movies if you observe the background. Best to shoot at 30 fps, even better at 60 fps, for smooth motion, or shoot interlaced to reduce the effect. Forger the so called "cinematic" look, it takes a lot of practice and the following of strict rules to achieve. Check out some video's on the subject on YouTube. IQ something (forget the complete name) has a great tutorial on it.
thank you all for the replies! I agree that 30 fps is the best for my little experience.

Hi... I was thinking about what you said about fcpx can smooth everything.. can you explain please?

Cheers

Hi... I was thinking about what you said about fcpx can smooth everything.. can you explain please?

Cheers
[/QUOTE

Yes, I'll put together an example and get back to you.

Cheers
FCPX has at least two areas where it can smooth video clips.

One is where there is excessive movement relative to the shutter speed... "jittery". In this example I have prepared, I have a clip where the pan speed is way too excessive. The first thing I did was slow the speed of original clip to 75% of original (purely arbitrary). You can see, the clip is a mess...

Then I selected from the speed menu, "video quality" and used "optical flow", which is the most aggressive smoothing technique. The same clip is smoothed out, although it will still have motion blur.

The other area where smoothing is obtained is through "Stabilization". I use that mostly for time lapse shots. During time lapse shots, the camera is not stabilized since the MPP is shooting individual shots. I did not prepare a specific example for that.

Here is where the speed menu is found... it's the little speedometer at the bottom of the preview window. I like to use the "Custom..." menu, then video quality.

Hope this helps you out.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.05.14 AM.png

Reactions: CarlStarke
I've no words to thank you. That's a game changer for me.
You should make a tutorial! Pan stuttering is a plague!

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser