DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tethered Flight

BenF

Reactions
I was thinking about powering a drone via a tether for extended flight time. Most of my ideas, its not only been thought of, but its in been though manufacturing and sales.

Here is an example:

Dickie Toys Flying Hero, 5", Green Dinosaur

This one is powered via batteries, but the concept is kinda cool. Only two props needed.

They are cool! Perfect for long-term surveillance, for lighting, all sorts of things. Can you believe the FAA also regulates tethered drones same way they do regular drones? I guess if you’re going to erect a self standing tall pole with a motor or camera on top that doesn’t count (as long as it’s under 200’, otherwise you need lights on it too), but a motor on the end of a extension cord does.

Last edited:
I've read about someone playing around with a sort of solar powered drone, looking for the benefits of tethering but without actual tethering. Next step is to see if it can be powered by "solar" panels at which lasers are fired.

Could be interesting, as long as the ground based laser had some tracking system. Sounds like a project for DARPA.

JtL

You also have to figue into the math, the weight of the tether as it climbs in altitude.
It will add up fast....

So then what about kites?

In regards to . . .
the weight of the tether as it climbs in altitude.
It will add up fast....
???

Kites probably take advantage of stronger winds at ever increasing altitudes I guess.
They would still need more lift as more string is let out.

We saw an example of this in the thread where a guy using his drone to drop baits when fishing, didn't have his reel spool released enough, by the time he looked back after untensioning that a little, his M1P was in the water.
Wind could have been pushing the fishing line from the side too, which would add a lot more dragging force.

Kites in a lightning storm will get you some power.

Now back on topic...

I mean if tethered drones are an FAA issue, shouldn't kites? They go high, and tethered doesn't seem to be an exemption.

a few optios out there now for tethering. Would be great for doing some cool hyperlapse shots, but very expensive at this stage
Powerline, LIFELINE and Volarios V-Line are 3 diffrent tethering systems Im aware of

Kites in a lightning storm will get you some power.

Now back on topic...

Well, it is on topic, the tether line weight, and this was discussed in relation to other tether, although I see Dans point below.

Don't have much to do with kites, but I expect even the largest might stay well short of 400' ??
They could go higher I guess, but what's the point ?
They are usually flown for the enjoyment of seeing them within a reasonable range.

I mean if tethered drones are an FAA issue, shouldn't kites? They go high, and tethered doesn't seem to be an exemption.

True.
And it's not like you can bring them down in a hurry either, to avoid a heli for example.

Reactions: Flycaster
Not sure on laws elsewhere, but CASR 101 does apply to kites

Thanks, logical for that to be there somewhere.
Somewhere, didn't know where to start digging through the docs, but I'm sure it'll be there :)

Thankfully, I don't have enough time to drone fly usually, let alone put a kite up !

Reactions: AnzacJack
I'm sure it would not be uncommon for a kite to be 100-200ft. They are usually at least 18", can be even 3' wide, and colorful. That makes them quite visible at 200ft.

Often too you need to get them high to catch constant winds.

Well, it is on topic, the tether line weight, and this was discussed in relation to other tether, although I see Dans point below.

Don't have much to do with kites, but I expect even the largest might stay well short of 400' ??
They could go higher I guess, but what's the point ?
They are usually flown for the enjoyment of seeing them within a reasonable range.

True.
And it's not like you can bring them down in a hurry either, to avoid a heli for example.

Of course you can bring it down in a hurry,,,,,,,just unplug it!! ? ?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
It is simple, really, just figure out how high/far you want the AC for your shooting.
That tells you how many feet of electric cable (2 conductor) you need.
Next, figure how many amps are drawn by the AC in a hover, and toss in another couple amps for manueverablity. From that information, you can calculate the wire gauge (for both conductors) needed.
Now that you now the weight per foot of the specific cable needed, multiply the weight of that cable times your tether length, and voila! you now have the weight of the cable that the AC will have to lift.
Now, check your maximim thrust available on your AC and see if it "adds up"......

And this does not take into account the esc/motor characteristics. You will either burn your esc's and or motor(s).
Unless the AC (and underlyaing esc/motor/prop configuration) was designed from the get go to lift that "payload" of tethering cable....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada