DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Texas flying opportunities

Reactions
I am visiting Texas for the first time toward the end of the month and I’d like to bring my Mavic. My drone is already registered with the FAA and compliant with the recent requirement to display the drone reg No and I flew in Miami last year with no problems. We will be starting and finishing in Houston with 4-5 days each in San Antonio and Austin. We will only have a car for the drives between these cities so won’t have time to divert much from those journeys for opportunities. I wondered what opportunities there are to fly in or near these cities (not in the centres I don’t imagine and I’m sure there will be large no-fly areas). Grateful for any suggestions/tips from those who have flown in these areas.

Thanks

I wasn’t going to reply as I am in the Dallas Fort Worth area but I see you haven’t gotten any responses. I am somewhat familiar Austin. Possibilities are Town Lake, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, COTA but check airspace for sure as near airport, UT campus. Hope this helps. Come on fellow Texans, help out a new member!

Zilker Park is supposed to be a good place. I've been told that all parks in Austin allow drone flying.

Thanks all, I’ll check out those locations.whats the general attitude to us drone fliers in TX? I want to feel comfortable flying, generally here in the UK it’s good, though I did have a couple of dirty looks first time I flew after the drone scares at London’s airports late last year.

I live in San Antonio and fly all the time, both downtown and out in the ‘burbs. 95 out of a hundred people will either smile and wave when they see a drone or ignore it completely. Three will attempt to get out of sight because they’re either narcissists or tweakers, and they truly believe that you are there just to watch them. The last two will try to shoot you out of the sky.

Welcome to Texas

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid