DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR - Entire Island of Oahu - Dec 16 thru Jan 2???

dsd317

Reactions
Seems like every time I go to Hawaii (specifically Oahu) for Christmas, President Obama is there.

Last year, I brought my P3P, he was there. Fortunately, he left the island a day or two before I had to head back to Texas...which allowed me to fly my P3P.

This time, he'll be there longer than my planned trip, so I won't be able to fly the whole time I'm there. :(:mad:

Does anyone there know if I can still fly my Mavic on the other islands?

Only good thing is the new POTUS won't be going to Hawaii much, so once he is in office you should be good to go. I did a lot of flying on Kauai when my kid's lived there (had to visit often :) ) and didn't have any issue at all, mostly on North Shore.

Seems like every time I go to Hawaii (specifically Oahu) for Christmas, President Obama is there.

Last year, I brought my P3P, he was there. Fortunately, he left the island a day or two before I had to head back to Texas...which allowed me to fly my P3P.

This time, he'll be there longer than my planned trip, so I won't be able to fly the whole time I'm there. :(:mad:

Does anyone there know if I can still fly my Mavic on the other islands?
That really sucks for you!

A couple of years ago my family was there over Christmas. Not only was Oahu shut down because HE was there, but much of the Big Island as well, as AF2 was parked in Hilo for backup.:confused:

Not that I'd break the rules,:p but a P2V+ don't care.

Mavic in Hawaii sounds awesome to this cold dog! Here today, gone to Maui. Have fun!

Reactions: dsd317
Link to TFR? For whole island? I'm asking because I need to fly too. I got my mavic last week but had to leave to D.C.

Last time he was here it's just the K'bay area.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just out of curiosity what benefit does setting a TFR give them in reality?

Privacy is one thing but if someone wanted to use it in 'anger' then that is hardly going to stop them right. What am I missing chaps?

I asked a smilar question to my 3 serets service friends. Mostly they don't want filming of the kids. If you think back about hit his kid were never filmed a lot.

:( Brought down!!! Was hoping for a bit more than 'They told him to land'! Disappointed does not cover it :D

View attachment 2392 From secret service friend for mine

I understand what he's saying, but that's not what the NOTAMs say, so I think it would be more like, "fly at your own risk that some authority (HPD, secret service, etc.) may/can do something, i.e., ticket?, arrest?, take your drone?"

My wife and I have family there and they wanted to see the Mavic (not us :(), so I still plan on bringing it. I also wanted to see how easy it would be to travel with the Mavic (with charger, hub, ipad mini 2 and air 2 and 4 batts) in my Lowepro 150 AW II also loaded with my camera gear.

I understand what he's saying, but that's not what the NOTAMs say, so I think it would be more like, "fly at your own risk that some authority (HPD, secret service, etc.) may/can do something, i.e., ticket?, arrest?, take your drone?"

No, it means your drone won't be able to take off, like you would see by an airport.
If you want to fly there on that island this Xmas, you are out of luck!

endofdays.jpg

Nooooo why me.... LOL time to spend time with family the old fashioned way.. :D

I'm heading to Hawaii next week and am trying to research the best places I can fly. We'll be on Oahu for a few days but I guess I won't be flying there

Keep in mind that even when he leaves office in January, he will still visit Hawaii every Christmas and the Secret Service will still be there.
Even though AF1 won't be, the same NFZ restrictions will stil be in place every year he goes to Hawaii.
So to answer your question, you still won't be able to fly on that island next year at Xmas either, and the year after that etc, until he decides not to come.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d