DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR

rinconmike

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am going down to Naples, FL tomorrow to help my parents with the flooding. I also have some shopping centers in Ft Myers I need to look at where we lost roofs. I was going to take Drone shots of both. I checked Aloft and B4UFLY and I see a TFR for the President from 1215 to 1745 on 10/5/22. No other restrictions. Cautions on the Hurricane.

With the TFR can I fly up to a little before the 1215 and then after the 1745 assuming they do not change the times?

I do have my remote pilot license.

thanks,

Mike

MikeI
I am going down to Naples, FL tomorrow to help my parents with the flooding. I also have some shopping centers in Ft Myers I need to look at where we lost roofs. I was going to take Drone shots of both. I checked Aloft and B4UFLY and I see a TFR for the President from 1215 to 1745 on 10/5/22. No other restrictions. Cautions on the Hurricane.

With the TFR can I fly up to a little before the 1215 and then after the 1745 assuming they do not change the times?

thanks,

Mike
If you're flying a DJI drone, it won't even allow you to take off In a NFZ unless you're able to get a DJI unlock

The areas I am flying are not in a DJI locked Geozone unless DJI picks up the TFRs which I did not think they do.

The Hurrican Warning in Aloft and B4UIFly I believe are just warnings.

I always check the apps and DJI Geozone site before I go to a new site and some sites I had to get both FAA Authorization through Dronezone (in zero ft areas) and the DJI unlock code downloaded to the controller.

This is the first time I had a TFR so am asking about that.

If you fly outside of the TFR you're legal but keep in mind, that if the schedule changes (or you do your math wrong) the TFR could go HOT while you're flying. If that happens, it's very possible you could not only lose your aircraft, but it could go down in a manner to cause additional problems.

Also keep in mind that POTUS could modify his schedule at a moment's notice and the TFR could change in a heartbeat and you may not know until things get out of hand.

I'd wait and fly another day and not risk it but that's not how everyone looks at it.

When I had a tfr over me, dji fly and go didn't say a word about it. It would be easier to manage real aircraft and keep them down but a quad flying around in their backyard in the outer circle instead of being in the inner circle tfr, not sure what threat that really presents. Now the headquarters in Denver Colorado, locks up the whole city and surrounding areas even down to pedestrians walking down the sidewalks. Wonder why people don't get annoyed or irritated over that.

Reactions: Ranman1022
This morning I checked the DJI authorization site and the location was a blue authorization zone. I am not sure if that is from the TFR or the hurricane warning. I did get the unlocked codes.

I plan to wait until the TFR expires.

On the hurricane warning, the way I interpret it is it is a warning and I do not need FAA approval to fly in that area (when the TFR expires). Is that correct?

thanks,

Mike
Not a technical reply-I am in the U.K. as you can see but we visit Naples FL every years and we’re there in April/May this year. Hope your parents are OK. Our friends Downtown there are under a sledge load of mud although thankfully they are OK. Very best of luck.

Reactions: Ranman1022
When did you check B4UFLY? Just curious how much of a advance warning they give on TFRs.

Thanks!

Praying your folks are ok and things work out to their advantage! I have a couple Army buddies got hit. I volunteered to help as im a Ham Radio op too. The Red Cross sent a group in. No details on it but to go through the Red Cross its a ton of paper work and even online classes to take. I gave up being active through them years ago because of all the paper work. All that came about after Katrina. But i still let the local clubs know im here if needed.

Plus sounds like mobile cell phone centers have taken that over for the most part. All depends on the magnitude of the disaster.

Good luck and be safe!

RM

thanks,

Mike
The TFR is from surface to 17,999' MSL. You will need to file a LAANC and have it approved before you take off. It likely will get approved.

This morning I checked the DJI authorization site and the location was a blue authorization zone. I am not sure if that is from the TFR or the hurricane warning. I did get the unlocked codes.

On the hurricane warning, the way I interpret it is it is a warning and I do not need FAA approval to fly in that area (when the TFR expires). Is that correct?
No. Once the TFR is lifted there are normal airspace rules.

The blue indicates an "authorization zone." It's a block of airspace that requires an approved LAANC to operate. In this case, it is for the active TFR.

The TFR is from surface to 17,999' MSL. You will need to file a LAANC and have it approved before you take off. It likely will get approved.

You can not get LAANC approval to fly within a TFR. That's outside of the scope of LAANC in many ways. In order to fly within a TFR you have to get approval from the Authority who requested the TFR. If there were a hiccup and LAANC did give approval to fly it's not valid because TFR are above and beyond the scope of LAANC.

If the system is working properly, all requests during an active TFR would be automatically DENIED immediately but that does not take the responsibility to fly within existing rules/limitations away from the operator.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman