DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THE "5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE" CARD

My neighbor from 3 doors down harassed me when I first started flying. I was standing on my deck. He actually climbed over my locked gate, came into my yard and threatened to shoot me and my Mavic for flying over his horse. I was flying at 300 feet. I tried to be reasonable, at the same time I positioned the Mavic to be watching us. He got physical so I called the police. He denied it, so I showed the cop the footage, which had the entire conversation because the app recorded it via my iPhone. They took him away for various crimes, including assault and threatening to kill me. His entire excuse was that he has teenagers living there and he was trying to protect his home and family. They must be really tall kids, since I was at 300 feet!!
Oops house, not horse. Darned autocorrect

Reactions: s2seyecle
My neighbor from 3 doors down harassed me when I first started flying. I was standing on my deck. He actually climbed over my locked gate, came into my yard and threatened to shoot me and my Mavic for flying over his horse. I was flying at 300 feet. I tried to be reasonable, at the same time I positioned the Mavic to be watching us. He got physical so I called the police. He denied it, so I showed the cop the footage, which had the entire conversation because the app recorded it via my iPhone. They took him away for various crimes, including assault and threatening to kill me. His entire excuse was that he has teenagers living there and he was trying to protect his home and family. They must be really tall kids, since I was at 300 feet!!
Please Keep us posted on the outcome of this.And if you start a new thread on it please IM or post the link to the thread .Thanks

I'd say to be more exact, there are some issues with the letter. Keeping AC within visual range and contacting airport when with 5 miles are requirements, not recommendations (under Section 336). Not flying over people or over stadiums (at certain times) are under separate restrictions (safety issues and the FAA's ability to create NFZs).

For hobby use.

However, the intentions of the letter appear sound.
With that said ,,,Has anyone found a better ,updated printout we can use?

Results actually already in. This actually happened this past spring. When presented with the footage, the guy pleaded and cut a deal. Trespassing & assault, hefty fines and suspended sentence. No mention of the threats. I was asked to never reveal “intimate details” like names or images. I agreed to this as it smacked him pretty hard considering the assault never actually endangered me. Nor was I ever worried about his threats. (BTW, who attacks someone who has a Glock visibly strapped to his hip in a tactical holster? I live in an open carry state plus was on my own property!) He tried to grab my remote and crash the Mav. Not actually trying to hurt me. On the rare occasion that I see him in his yard now, he waves and says “Hi”. That’s the total extent of our relationship. I deleted my footage, since I couldn’t care less about it and the deal kept me out of court as the plaintiff. I didn’t want to lose the work time / income. The only time the drone ever came up was when the court asked where the footage came from. I was supposed that they actually asked, since the drone was the entire instigating factor. So, his paranoia about a UAV caused the incident, but it was really only about his actions and attitude. Everybody except him know I was doing nothing wrong. I wasn’t even recording until he came over the gate. Then I hit record and rushed the Mav into position. Just in case. Glad I did.

This post isn’t unlike the many others voicing their frustration in being treated like a criminal for simply enjoying a flight as far away from people as possible. Yesterday, I was once again stopped by three separate security personnel, driving their marked security vehicles. Apparently there was to be an event later in the day and they were tasked with driving around making sure the shuttle signs and pylons were in place. My rule for flying is “early and away”. For that reason it was early, about 7:30 AM on a weekend, and I had walked high up on a hilltop far from anyone in what most would call wilderness area. My flying was quite a distance from anyone. For the record, yesterday's flight was identical to the flights I began doing in 2007 with a Slow Stick and mounted camera. So, with 10 years experience seeking out a remote flying location around the United States, I'm not what you'd call a NOOB. Soon the first guard stopped his vehicle and yelled the 300 yards up the hill for me to come down and asked if I was flying something. After I landed, packed and started my 2 mile hike home, another drove up and proceeded to interrogate me. He took a photo of me for their “files”. Then the big boss came. She proceeded to tell me I was flying over private property and asked if my drone was registered and asked for my “card”. By the way, I am fairly opposed to the YouTubers who video cops and treat police officers with disrespect. But this was a bit ridiculous as I am a home owner in an HOA and those uniformed security guards are not residents there. Here I was with two marked security trucks blocking traffic and I’m made to look to those passing by as though I was a criminal who had broken some law. HERE’S MY ADVICE TO SECURITY (seriously): If you spot a remote controlled aircraft flying around the area you are responsible to “patrol”, simply observe for about 20 minutes. The “subject of your investigation” will probably go through all their batteries and land and go home. They will most likely not be back. All is well. If they damage property or fly near residence or business windows or break any FAA rules, then see if you can contact them. BUT, read the rules first so you don’t appear ignorant, stating what is not the law. If they are there everyday in the same place, seek them out and make a friend. Blood pressures will remain low and you might have some pleasant conversation. Not to mention, you won’t be filling out paperwork for your boss later that day. If you are reading this and would like to also advise your fellow-flyers of some simple “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” principals, perhaps many would print this out and keep with their drone pack to pull out and read to an interrogator who is harassing them. Something like this: 1. FAA Code# XXX states that air space is not private property, etc. (I’m not certain this is true or not but would love to have a “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” card for myself). It might just help to keep the peace and help to promote cool heads.

I always use honey first.

I was taking real estate video with my Mavic Pro about a week ago. A guy rolls up on me and says he noticed the drone flying around and was wondering what I was doing. Now, in this situation there are really two paths one can take. I can be a freakin' arsehole and remind him of my rights and his limited rights in that situation. OR...I can be friendly and answer all of his questions completely and respectfully. I choose the latter. I pointed to the property, offered to show him the footage, and then opened the back of my car to show him how small and unobtrusive the UAV is. We had a really nice conversation, shook hands, and parted ways as friends.

Like you, I can't stand those police videos that show 10 seconds of a 2 minute altercation where the citizen decides to vehemently show the cop that they "know their rights." You catch more flies with honey.

Tip: Wear one of those day glow orange or green "dork vests." You will be blown away the difference it makes when people think you're "official." Literally, night and day difference. Nobody bothers me when I wear the dork vest. I had forgotten it that day. But I'm glad I did, as I had a nice conversation with one of the local citizens.

I always use honey first.

I was taking real estate video with my Mavic Pro about a week ago. A guy rolls up on me and says he noticed the drone flying around and was wondering what I was doing. Now, in this situation there are really two paths one can take. I can be a freakin' arsehole and remind him of my rights and his limited rights in that situation. OR...I can be friendly and answer all of his questions completely and respectfully. I choose the latter. I pointed to the property, offered to show him the footage, and then opened the back of my car to show him how small and unobtrusive the UAV is. We had a really nice conversation, shook hands, and parted ways as friends.

Like you, I can't stand those police videos that show 10 seconds of a 2 minute altercation where the citizen decides to vehemently show the cop that they "know their rights." You catch more flies with honey.

Tip: Wear one of those day glow orange or green "dork vests." You will be blown away the difference it makes when people think you're "official." Literally, night and day difference. Nobody bothers me when I wear the dork vest. I had forgotten it that day. But I'm glad I did, as I had a nice conversation with one of the local citizens.
This seems like the best approach, and many folks are just curious anyway. When you get instances where the individual comes to interrogate you, then one of my approaches is to ask please for their credentials (officer number and badge). I love the dork vest idea! Honey works best, but when that fails, get legal.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
These confrontational stories really get my blood boiling. So many people are ignorant or uninformed, but the confrontational ones are the ones that make our hobby harder to enjoy. It will happen to all of us eventually.

Generally, I don't like flying with people around. But when I do, and someone comes up to me, I usually offer to show people the screen so they can see how non-invasive it really is. Most people are just curious, but some people just don't understand and aren't willing to listen.

I was on a trip in Alaska. One of the days we went to the Mendenhall glacier. At the visitor center, I asked a ranger about flying there - if it was considered a national park. He explained that it was a national forest - not a national park and that flying UAS there was permitted as long as I followed the FAA rules. So, my son and I walked out to the closest viewing point, Nugget Falls. I launched my Mavic at the edge of the water and as far away from others as possible, so I wouldn't have to fly over anyone or be disturbed while flying. As soon as I launched it, someone came up to me and said I could not fly in a national park, assuming that's what the place was. I was in a hurry, but I tried to explain calmly that it wasn't a national park, and that I was allowed to fly there. I hope I didn't come off too strong on him, but I was in a hurry, and once my Mavic is in the air, I don't like taking my attention off it or the controller. After a couple words back-and-forth, I explained to him that I asked the park ranger about the subject and that the ranger said it was allowed there. After that the guy backed off, but I still felt bad about the whole deal. Fortunately, he was willing to listen to me and accept what I said.

So far, this has been the most dramatic confrontation that I have experienced, but I'm sure something bigger will happen eventually. I just hope I will be able handle the situation and diffuse the person's concern/anger before it gets worse.

It sounds like you have all handled the situations well. It can be tough. We are all ambassadors to the hobby, so we must do our best to present it as positively as possible. So, far for me, being knowledgable calm, and open with the confronter has worked well for me. I wonder what specific tactics others have done to diffuse the situations they have encountered.

Reactions: s2seyecle
Tip: Wear one of those day glow orange or green "dork vests." You will be blown away the difference it makes when people think you're "official." Literally, night and day difference.

I'll second that, here in the UK people avoid 'hivis' like the plague.

Tip 2: One of these dangling round your neck, along with the dork vest works too, even security guards don't bother approaching you either :D:rolleyes:

blue_visitor_lanyard_blue_id_card_holder_and_id_card.jpg

This is the greatest "angry anti-drone" story I've heard in years! Hilarious! Gotta love it when belligerent people like that get a little justice themselves. Maybe next time he'll just suck it up and mind his own business, but it may take a few more lessons before he learns.

Reactions: Yoda007
In Australia we have an app called “can I fly there” so it’s a pretty quick and official way to show people your “card”. Although I confess I love the idea of having a business card made with these reasons printed. As a photographer I’ve had a few people over the years try to tell me the law and I used to carry a two page copyright document to show ppl they (unfortunately) had no right to privacy (in Australia). I’m very cautious though and so far have avoided any confrontation when flying my drone. The 20 min thing is funny, but true. Must remember that one to add to my list of reasons.

I guess I've been lucky, the only place I've ever been questioned or called out for flying was the Sydney Harbor and I honestly didn't know it was illegal to fly there. I had asked on this forum months in advance and even checked the CASA website. They were polite and I promptly stopped and never returned.

Pretty sure you did the right thing there stopping, recall pretty much all of Sydney Harbour is a NFZ of some sort or another.

Yes, checked app and all of it is no fly.

Did you have either of the free ‘Drone Complier’ or ‘Can I Fly There ?’ apps ?

I like the idea of a simple one page print out t just st give any angry people.
Yet to come across one, but it will probably happen one day.

I might use that as a template and design for Australian rules of CASA and National Parks.

Keep a couple of folded copies at hand when flying

As long as you know your rights, don't take any crap from people who think they are authoritarians. So many people think they know the rules when in fact they don't know a single one. They only know a Drone makes them uncomfortable.

It's new and different and that's enough to trigger some of these folks since they like to maintain the status quo. There are far too many people in security and law enforcement so they can allow their ego to roam free. Make no mistake these people can be dangerous in their own way.
I have had many run ins as a photographer with these guys trying to tell me the "law". I carry a card with my rights as a photographer, hand it to them and state firmly "I'm operating within the law. If you persist in hindering my lawful operations then I will initiate legal proceedings against the company you work for. How you proceed from here depends on how confident are you they won't throw you under the bus to make a lawsuit go away. "
Here's a link to the Photographers Rights (by a lawyer no less) This applies equally to your operating the drone since it is in fact photography. The FAA stuff won't hurt either.

Bert P. Krages - Attorney at Law

BTW - the FAA is under its own scrutiny for using its powers to suppress reporting during the pipeline standoff. It's a little unclear what fallout if any will come from that.

FAA Helps Police Suppress Reporting From Dakota Pipeline Protests

Last edited:
Law Enforcement Officer.

Local security are funny. One neighborhood in Brooklyn employs these. They tried to bully me into moving my car after I blocked a double-parked truck (long story, truck blocked me, had busted door. They ignored me requesting to move the truck so I can pull out of parking spot. So I moved my car few feet so they couldn't get in. They called the neighborhood security). So security threatened to arrest me. I already called the cops. When local security heard the sirens, they vanished like ninjas. Cops came by, put about 5 tickets on a truck and told me that local security tends to bully people in this area anyway.

So yeah, let cops resolve issues, not some "look at me, I have a badge from cereal box"
"When local security heard the sirens"........sirens responding to a parking complaint?.......hmmm

Reactions: Ginther
"When local security heard the sirens"........sirens responding to a parking complaint?.......hmmm

NYPD loves these calls. More tickets they can put on the offender, the better. Additionally, I did mention to 911 operator that I am being harassed by local security who are pretending that they can arrest me. Usually, same precinct officers respond to that area, and they are well aware of this problem.

I have mostly found police (REAL police) to be really cool. Partly because they are interested in the tech: the applications for them are endless and can save lives. Also, partly because they themselves aren't really sure of the rules and what they can enforce. I also find if you're respectful and don't go all "Cop Block" on them, you can actually build a good working relationship which may help you out sometime in the future.

I have mostly found police (REAL police) to be really cool. Partly because they are interested in the tech: the applications for them are endless and can save lives. Also, partly because they themselves aren't really sure of the rules and what they can enforce. I also find if you're respectful and don't go all "Cop Block" on them, you can actually build a good working relationship which may help you out sometime in the future.
Had one approach me about two weeks ago while I was in mid flight doing a Dronebase shoot. Had the orange vest on and cones set up around my LZ. Although I was prepared for a gauntlet of questions, this guy was really interested in the Mavic as he stated he never seen one. Turns out he just bought a P3S.

I think if you look and act professional (and of course operate within the law) the "real cops" will leave you alone.

Reactions: Ginther
You are no longer required to 'register' yourself when flying a quad for hobby purposes, in fact I think you can get your $5 back if you want to bother. I wouldn't even mention your FAA# to 'security' in the future.
really? I may do this... I never liked the idea of someone being able to look me up by the quad's serial number, even though it would most likely be used for retrieval and not punitively.

really? I may do this... I never liked the idea of someone being able to look me up by the quad's serial number, even though it would most likely be used for retrieval and not punitively.

That information was correct on 10/2017 when it was posted. It is no longer correct.

Also, they cannot look you up by a serial number, they can look up your information based on the registration number that you placed on your drone.

Edit: This thread was 9 months old

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov