DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Air graduated to a full 45 degree Yaw.

silverdragon

Reactions
When I first received the Mavic Air, I test flew it out of the box with 0 (zero) involuntary yaw movements (without stick manipulation). After one of the updates it inherited a 6-12 degree yaw to the right.... I learned to live with that hoping an update would fix it.....nope....none avail. A 45 degree yaw got my attention and concern..First I will try to make a video of it happening so I dont look and sound like unprofessional incompetent drone fanatic. I keep on pondering if its at a dangerous anomaly. As far as I can tell it misbehaves every once in a while and when I first take off and it hovers at 4 feet or so.

Yaw? Or pitch?

When you say "45 degree yaw" you mean it made a 1/8 turn on its own, right?
Primary suspect here would be the compass. Has it been calibrated recently?
Flight logs are helpful!

Yes, Yaw to the right as if I pushed the left stick to the right. It only does it at a powering up. I bring the AC up 3 feet or so and let it hover in place then within 20 seconds or so..it yaws to the right.. it's been an on going issue with many others also. But a 1/4 turn is a lot to yaw without stick input. Mind you, it mostly has a 1/8 turn yaw on its own. I'm surprised DJI has not done anything about it. I know flight logs are helpful but I barely have time to fly so I have to skip those for now. BTW, compass calibration has not helped.

try a stick calibration to make sure they are centered

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes, Yaw to the right as if I pushed the left stick to the right. It only does it at a powering up. I bring the AC up 3 feet or so and let it hover in place then within 20 seconds or so..it yaws to the right.. it's been an on going issue with many others also. But a 1/4 turn is a lot to yaw without stick input. Mind you, it mostly has a 1/8 turn yaw on its own. I'm surprised DJI has not done anything about it. I know flight logs are helpful but I barely have time to fly so I have to skip those for now. BTW, compass calibration has not helped.

I still suspect the compass; you should post a flight log.
If the compass heading maintains its value while the IMU yaw is changing, that would tell you it is trying to correct its initial compass measurement upon startup.

Ok, I just performed a Stick Calbration. The only thing, after I do the calibration I dont get a "Calibration Successful " or anything acknowledging it Passed. It goes back to "Start" again.... am I missing something? How do I know for sure it's been calibrated Successful?

Ok, I just performed a Stick Calbration. The only thing, after I do the calibration I dont get a "Calibration Successful " or anything acknowledging it Passed. It goes back to "Start" again.... am I missing something? How do I know for sure it's been calibrated Successful?
That’s what It does when it’s completed successfully.
If it does not accept the input for either stick during calibration it restarts calibration of the one stick in question with the rectangles to navigator to.

Same issue for a while now.
Visible when I do my sunrise/ sunsets.
Mavic Air will YAW to the right slowly without input.
Yes I calibrated the controller and I have to calibrate the compass almost every flight.
Cannot take off without calibrating.

I have a similar issue but mine yaws to the left but most of the time it's the initial take off but it has happened when changing batteries. After that it seems to fly normal.

I have a similar issue but mine yaws to the left but most of the time it's the initial take off but it has happened when changing batteries. After that it seems to fly normal.
This is the way mine acts to the letter. But when it yawed that one time I thought it going to do a 360. But it stopped at about a 45 degrees as it had an agenda of its own.....I posted a few .dat files if anyone wants to see if they can find an issue and take credit for solving the yaw mystery.

Hah, mine did that today too. Running DJI Go 4 with all updates.

I used the auto-launch. As it was climbing towards 6 meters, it suddenly turned about 15 degrees left.

I didn't think anything of it, and through the subsequent tests (I was testing Smart Track behavior) it behaved itself.

You figure we post the issue amongst many many others and I believe with a little engineering thought from DJI they would come up with a fix. I've gone through 2 major updates hoping one of them would of cured the tick...nada, zilch, elzero......

I am glad I hold my eyes true to the Mavic Air because I keep thinking of what was inline of the 45 degree yaw. If I did not see the yaw and proceeded, I would of crashed into a very expensive car. It's wasn't the very expensive car that would of been damaged that scared me, it was the owner of the very expensive car I'm kind of scared of.... if you ever looked into his eyes.....forget it I won't go there..but yeah, the owner ...So DJI please fix the issue. I want to live to fly your drones for awhile longer..

When I first received the Mavic Air, I test flew it out of the box with 0 (zero) involuntary yaw movements (without stick manipulation). After one of the updates it inherited a 6-12 degree yaw to the right.... I learned to live with that hoping an update would fix it.....nope....none avail. A 45 degree yaw got my attention and concern..First I will try to make a video of it happening so I dont look and sound like unprofessional incompetent drone fanatic. I keep on pondering if its at a dangerous anomaly. As far as I can tell it misbehaves every once in a while and when I first take off and it hovers at 4 feet or so.
This is exactly what mine has done. It's been a really great aircraft, but the yaw issue has gotten progressively worse for mine, much as you describe yours, except I can no longer fly mine at all, because the yaw issue is more continuous now, and kicks in during flight whether simply hovering, or even during forward flight, it will gradually yaw left. Pretty sure it's always been left (edit: nope, it yaws right.) It can be countered with right yaw, to yield somewhat forward flight.

I have some insight for you though, and it's that I stopped updating my firmware after the first time, because the aircraft flew absolutley perfectly, and had plenty of brilliant features to keep me busy for a long time. Yet, the yaw issue appeared one day, and has gotten progressively worse over a year and a half or so. This leads me me to believe there is a hardware issue, possibly a break down of gyro data. Maybe the gyro itself is failing, or maybe noise is being introduced somewhere along the path.

My next step is to get my Air replaced through Care Refresh.

(If any of the ever helpful forum members has something to try, feel free to suggest it, as it may help others, now, or at another time, but Ive completed all possible actions that Im aware of, that could fix the issue, and the history of the problem overwhelmingly suggests progressive hardware failure, imho.)

Last edited:
This is exactly what mine has done. It's been a really great aircraft, but the yaw issue has gotten progressively worse for mine, much as you describe yours, except I can no longer fly mine at all, because the yaw issue is more continuous now, and kicks in during flight whether simply hovering, or even during forward flight, it will gradually yaw left. Pretty sure it's always been left. It can be countered with right yaw, to yield somewhat forward flight.

I have some insight for you though, and it's that I stopped updating my firmware after the first time, because the aircraft flew absolutley perfectly, and had plenty of brilliant features to keep me busy for a long time. Yet, the yaw issue appeared one day, and has gotten progressively worse over a year and a half or so. This leads me me to believe there is a hardware issue, possibly a break down of gyro data. Maybe the gyro itself is failing, or maybe noise is being introduced somewhere along the path.

My next step is to get my Air replaced through Care Refresh.

(If any of the ever helpful forum members has something to try, feel free to suggest it, as it may help others, now, or at another time, but Ive completed all possible actions that Im aware of, that could fix the issue, and the history of the problem overwhelmingly suggests progressive hardware failure, imho.)
I believe your spot on about the hardware theory. I also believe if it were a firmware issue DJI would of fixed it a long time ago when they started to receive many complaints about it... I guess I will wait until my Mavic Air becomes Airless and becomes a paperweight. Ohhh, my desk could use another paperweight...Anyhow, DJI...if your reading this please do the right thing and fix a problem that should not exist in the first place...

If I put my MA in a hover on a wind free day it will sometime do a sudden yaw by about 15 deg without any stick input. I have wondered about this, and have not yet tried a stick calibration, but this string makes me thing it is a more fundamental problem.

If I put my MA in a hover on a wind free day it will sometime do a sudden yaw by about 15 deg without any stick input. I have wondered about this, and have not yet tried a stick calibration, but this string makes me thing it is a more fundamental problem.
I have done 3 stick calibrations 2 compass calibrations and a few imu calibrations hoping it would clear up.. none of those fixed anything. J2LUK

It's not any calibration. It is the beginning of a slow hardware failure, and I suggest talking to DJI if/while you still have warranty, or Care coverage. Dont wait. It will only get worse.

I have had this happen only twice, just after take off in both occasions. It yawed to the left about 10 or 15 degrees with no stick input. I just dismissed it as a compass calibration issue as well. But reading this thread makes me rethink as well. Since the drone was near ground in both instances in my case (no more than 6-8 meters I think), could it be an issue with the visual positioning system?

My mavic air has done the same quick yaw of about a 1/4 turn on almost every takeoff within first minute of flight. 567 flights as of today.
I dont worry about it anymore

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661