DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The day the drone spiralled....

BlackKnightHK

Reactions
Hello second post on this forum. I am flying a Mavic Pro since almost one year now, got 16 hrs flight under my belt in several countries (ok, a far cry from the 40 hrs required).

I generally fly quite conservatively, trying always to keep the drone in VLOS (and thus, often missing on some spectacular footage and/or shots). Obviously, my interest is mainly photographic, but since I live in Hong Kong, difficult to fly at all within the city if not in some wild areas. I try to keep clear areas around landing and takeoff place for possible mishaps. Anyway, after a bad landing in Tai Mo Shan (wind...), the gimbal exhibited the "motor overload" message and would not recalibrate. Upon takeoff, and flight however, the camera and drone still operated somehow correctly.

The incident happened when I decided to try the "portrait" mode while in flight. For some reason, the gimbal fed back to the gyroscope, and the Mavic started spinning around its axis. It was still at about 70 m high, and kept altitude. I still had some amount of control on directions, so I moved it as best I could in a safe area and then focused on controlling the spin while bringing it down as fast as possible. As nobody was around, I was free to attempt a controlled landing instead of cutting the motors and letting the drone crash in the bushes. Eventually, around 7 m from the ground, the drone stopped spinning as was back under control. I landed normally thereafter. In short, not panicking and being able to decide the best options from a safety point of view can help a lot in emergencies. Also very important is to keep your takeoff and landing areas as free as possible.

Useless to say it was rushed to DJI flagship shop where I had an appointment to check the gimbal. As I had the DJI care program, they just swapped the drone and battery with a brand new one. Very painless and nice experience with DJI.

Hello second post on this forum. I am flying a Mavic Pro since almost one year now, got 16 hrs flight under my belt in several countries (ok, a far cry from the 40 hrs required).

I generally fly quite conservatively, trying always to keep the drone in VLOS (and thus, often missing on some spectacular footage and/or shots). Obviously, my interest is mainly photographic, but since I live in Hong Kong, difficult to fly at all within the city if not in some wild areas. I try to keep clear areas around landing and takeoff place for possible mishaps. Anyway, after a bad landing in Tai Mo Shan (wind...), the gimbal exhibited the "motor overload" message and would not recalibrate. Upon takeoff, and flight however, the camera and drone still operated somehow correctly.

The incident happened when I decided to try the "portrait" mode while in flight. For some reason, the gimbal fed back to the gyroscope, and the Mavic started spinning around its axis. It was still at about 70 m high, and kept altitude. I still had some amount of control on directions, so I moved it as best I could in a safe area and then focused on controlling the spin while bringing it down as fast as possible. As nobody was around, I was free to attempt a controlled landing instead of cutting the motors and letting the drone crash in the bushes. Eventually, around 7 m from the ground, the drone stopped spinning as was back under control. I landed normally thereafter. In short, not panicking and being able to decide the best options from a safety point of view can help a lot in emergencies. Also very important is to keep your takeoff and landing areas as free as possible.

Useless to say it was rushed to DJI flagship shop where I had an appointment to check the gimbal. As I had the DJI care program, they just swapped the drone and battery with a brand new one. Very painless and nice experience with DJI.

I've unfortunately just experienced this same phenomenon yesterday, but I was simply flying while filming. I saved the drone by pressing return to home, and then when it got close enough I cancelled the return to home and landed it in sport mode (as the home point had wires above it). I don't have DJI care, so I'm not sure how I should approach fixing this. Note: the Mavic Pro worked fine today. Any suggestions?

Try recalibration of the gimbal. If there is a damage with the gimbal, the recalibration should fail. You must get it checked ASAP. Repair of gimbal should still be a reasonable cost. If your drone spiralled, then you should absolutely avoid flying again before having it checked...

16 hours over the last year. Whoa bro slow it down there. What are you trying to do ? Wear it out prematurely. I think DJI only warranty's it if you fly less the 1 hour per month. Didn't you read the owner's manual ? And your already 4 whole hours over that. I would edit the OP if I was you. You before they see it and put you on there " you're flying the holy be jesus out of that drone list".

Reactions: kidroc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7