DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

the dji Air 3 note book

mj2019

Reactions
hi every one , ive been searching for awhile a weak or so for a lot of unclear information almost not mentioned any where about some of the features and specs or operation of the new air3 ... with some back ground from the phantoms family (the whole 3 family) and the fours and some little in mavics... surely ill need some effort and coopration by more experienced members and wish to sum the notes and findings here for a better life with Air3

well the first question or thing to answer is about the update of the firmware\software ... on the air 3 and the rc2 controller or rcn controller and fly app..
first am not a very big fan of updates ... and from experience DJI updates are most of the times a risk or an imprisonment of a feature available in previous revisions of software that might enable a more capable use of the hardware!! so i will not update untill i get convinced that a very really feature will be enabled...thats my opinion though....
now suppose some one bought an air 3 and activated it and its corresponding rc2...
then never connected the rc2 to wifii or internet is it true that the fly app on the rc2 expires or gets locked after 3 months ???
or he will be able always to use those equipment without any limitation no matter how long after that??

Last edited:
To make the Air 3 more Functional in extreme weather conditions consider getting the Air 3 Wet Suit and Rescue Jacket, that will open up some new doors for which you can fly thru , such as flying in the Pouring Rain and landing on the Water Remotely.

Gear to fly your Air 3 in the Rain / Snow
Phantomrain.org
CleanShot 2023-12-04 at 07.42.07@2x.jpgScreenshot of FinderScreenshot of Finder (8-12-23, 4-42-26 PM).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Volsherdeers
now one unexplained and unprofessional behavior by dji is the charger system of the battery now the studio that my friend a drone film maker that bought the air3 am also using bought the fly more combo for big 1800$ due to taxes... now this thing comes with the three battery hub that is great but where is the power source to charge it????? and where are the specs of its input out put detailed... what to use with it and what not to use... currently the dji dealer have no more 100w dji chargers why should we wait...!!! what would it cost the company if it provided a full system ann additional 10$$ ???
any way i have ton of older dji chargers for the phantoms i can make a pinout to a c type power line but still am searching for the output provided by the dji100w charger is it 5v or 16v?? even on dji site it state out put 100w or 86w for several batteries but no mention of voltage ??? another...

Reactions: Letsgethigh469
@mj2019 ,unfortunately in the case of the Air 3 ,as with other recent drones in the DJI stable ,the practice of providing a power source has stopped, the newer type of power bricks,are able to comunicate with the device they are charging ,and send the appropriate voltage and charge them safely
it does say in the info about the Air 3 that it does not come with a power brick ,and what it recomends needs to be purchased to charge the batteries
in order to activate and fly the drone with the RC 2 controller it needs a internet connection ,as far as updates are concerned then they do increase the features and capabilities of the drone and yes, they can also include changes to make them have restrictions as well, when it comes to various aspects of airspace use
the problem DJI have if they want to sell their drones in multiple countries ,then they have to demonstrate to those governing the airspace, in a particular country,that the drone meets the requirements of that country
it would seem that you are upset,about recent rules changes where you fly ,that weren't an issue with the older drones you have used from DJI ,all of us who have flown older models ,are in the same boat
it comes down to choice at the end of the day ,either you accept change and live with it ,or you try to purchase another drone brand,that does not have so many restictions

Last edited:
Reactions: bassnbeau
i already activated the air3 and the rc2 and test flew it ...
the camera is legendry nothing earlier is near that in older dji orr other drones..
other flying features are also second to non...
but now i disconnected the rc2 from the internet.. and would like to know if ever the fly app will get out dated and will ever force me to update it... or ill remain free to use it any where any time...
i remember a friend of mine maybe with a mavic 2s once flew to a country side opened his app in phone to discover he needs internet to update the fly app or he can only fly in beginner mode maybe only 50m distance and 20m altitude

@mj2019 thanks for your reply, in answer to your question ,now i can understand better what you were asking is , its quite possible that at some point ,it could well be that not updating the fly App, or indeed the drone firmware , will prevent it from flying ,as the rules change ,depending on your location in the world,things are moving so quickly in drone technology ,its something thats constantly being developed ,and not always for the benefit of the recreational flyer

Last edited:
@mj2019 thanks for your reply, in answer to your question ,now i can undestand better what you were asking is , its quite possible that at some point ,it could well be that not updating the fly App, or indeed the drone firmware , will prevent it from flying ,as the rules change ,depending on your location in the world,things are moving so quickly in drone technology ,its something thats constantly being developed ,and not always for the benefit of the recreational flyer
i understand this as a whole... its a fact..
but i mean technically are there any timers or any of dji hidden """ safety techniques """ that may f>u<cK a great day where i pull the drone out where the internet sucks next to a hill or lake or water fall...and it will not fly...or go to beginner mode requesting update or reactivation or any thing else...
i read some where that the dji fly expires after three months or stops working even if not connected to the internet or even if u are logged out of the account is this true????

Reactions: old man mavic
now for the charger it seems to be adaptive to charge the hub a. guy has done a great work investigating its 65w version

@mj2019 with the batteries for the Air 3 to get them to charge in the hub ,in about an hour and 30 minutes each, so for 3 that would be around four and a half hours from hibernation mode will require a charger of at least 65w ,
if you have a 100w charger then this reduces the time per battery ,to around 1 hour 10 minutes
as far as the Fly App is concerned ,in all the time i have been flying with it since it was first introduced with the original Mavic Mini,i have never known it to expire, or log me out of the App
i still have the latest version on my I pad which i no longer use to fly my drones with any more, and it still shows my info and that i am logged into the App
it is good practice, before you go out to fly, especially if you know that internet coverage is going to be sketchy, to check that you are still logged on ,i have never intentionally logged out of the App

@mj2019 with the batteries for the Air 3 to get them to charge in the hub ,in about an hour and 30 minutes each, so for 3 that would be around four and a half hours from hibernation mode will require a charger of at least 65w ,
if you have a 100w charger then this reduces the time per battery ,to around 1 hour 10 minutes
as far as the Fly App is concerned ,in all the time i have been flying with it since it was first introduced with the original Mavic Mini,i have never known it to expire, or log me out of the App
i still have the latest version on my I pad which i no longer use to fly my drones with any more, and it still shows my info and that i am logged into the App
it is good practice, before you go out to fly, especially if you know that internet coverage is going to be sketchy, to check that you are still logged on ,i have never intentionally logged out of the App
is there a three month limit or a timed limit for the app running offline on the rc2??? does any one can answer a 100% answer

Last edited:
does any one can answer a 100% answer
We probably cannot, because most of us update our DJI devices !
I did use a Pv2+, an Air, an Air2, and now an AIr3 with it's RC2 : never had problems updating them.

We probably cannot, because most of us update our DJI devices !
I did use a Pv2+, an Air, an Air2, and now an AIr3 with it's RC2 : never had problems updating them.
am not against update as a whole i just read deeply the next release wait a bit until people test it then only if i need i update....
i have a lot of pain from the phantom 3 adv and pro mavic 2pro........ so am not ready to take any chance with dji ...... i really trust them to max:cool::p:)o_Oo_Oo_O

now as i wait patiently to answer the question if the update is forced in any way or if the fly app on rc2 without update expires or gets limited...
am learning my first lessons with charging new era dji smart batteries my thoughts earlier is that as am an rc hobbyist too, my assumption was that i supply the battery with certain voltage at a rated current and the battery that has a charging discharging controller onboard will be happy but this is not true... it seems that this battery needs certain protocol like the pps to get charging properly it receives programed charging....
am not a professional in electronics but at least i have some basics to get things running! but it was much helpful if dji again didnt only mention "use dji 100w charger" but included some explanation and even warnings if its ok to use a regular charger or if that harms or does not work!!
first in case of 3 battery hub?? and second in case of charging battery when pluged in the drone???remember i was planning to cut a uvc wire and connect the positive and negative to the phantom 3 charger but after reading or discovering the new pps charging ill wait to check if this is safe before testing it... ill ask some people who may know the exact answer and update that here later on.

by the way it has been a week so far i didnt find even one note or clear information if the smart 3 battery hub can charge a single battery and not necessarily 3 at a time !? and i couldn't discover that yet since am waiting for the dji charger to arrive to test that!

by the way it has been a week so far i didnt find even one note or clear information if the smart 3 battery hub can charge a single battery and not necessarily 3 at a time !? and i couldn't discover that yet since am waiting for the dji charger to arrive to test that!
Yes, the smart battery hub can charge only one connected battery, but also 2 connected batteries, or all 3 connected batteries.
In case 2 or 3 batteries are connected, the charging hub starts with the battery that has more energy, and ends with the battery that has the lower charging percentage.

User manual, page 11:
There is no charger included in the package. It is recommended to use the DJI 65W Portable Charger or the DJI 100W USB-C Power Adapter.
Users can also use other USB Power Delivery chargers.

And, on DJI forum

When charging the battery with the battery mounted on the DJI Air 3 aircraft, if using a third-party charger, it is recommended to use a 65W fast charger that supports PD3.0 protocol.
100W is recommended to charge with the charging Hub.

I do use a 100w power supply, I bought it for my dock connected to a laptop.
Using my Air3, I can charge using the charging hub or connecting the drone directly to this power supply.
I also use a 65W powerbank from time to time : it charges both my drone or my charging hub. Speed is slower charging the hub with the powerbank (vs power supply)

Qui peut le plus, peut le moins !

Last edited:
Reactions: mj2019
well the lovely air 3 is sitting next to me charging ... i managed to find a charger i once bought ... memory served well this time...and it a 65 w samsung that has 3 outlets it seems to be working ... prior to logging in and checking the thread i discovered that 1battery will charge in the charging hub !!

now this thread is not ment to criticize the air 3 but to be a deep discussion about it.. as the weather allowed some flights i had some time to personally test fly it several times, its really avery reliable drone that can get u a perfect video of any thing u may imagine probably from simple hobbyist to the professional filming , among its perfect features is the great rc connection and transmission this thing is simply awesome it never dropped a bar though i was between buildings behind trees no matter what... a very hi thumb up to the air3 ,,,Thumbswayup:)

i saw on a site a used mavic 3 battery for sale, it states it has140 cycles , from my fpv back ground i thought it is on its end of it being usable!!! i researched the number of cycles that the new dji batteries can get it seems too impressive to be upto 500 cycles... now first mavic 3 and air 3 and the new generations of minis and airs... seem to have shifted from li polymer to li ions this can explain the better performance and lighter weight... now first has any one cycled those batteries 400 or 500 times and reported that??? second i didnt find a veiw of the cells inside such batteries they need to be exceptional!! the mavic 3 is a 5000 mah 4s and that light its nice to see their type manufacturer....

hi again one thing not mentioned any where in the world is how the modern dji fly app geofencing works???
i mean by modern is the geofencing of dji fly say of 2022\2023 era .. among things a commercial pilot filming advertisement with several kilo dollars drone is how this thing works suppose u approach an altitude restricted zone does the drone fly in cone as on my dgi go 4 on phantom4??? i once was about to lose conscience when once my p4 started declining in altitude without me lowering throttle with perfect hi trees ahead i ran 500 m just beneath the drone and landed to discover after tens of hours of search how this thing happened to find that this is an altitude restricted zone of cone down🔻 as u push into it the drone goes into but lowering altitude and vice versa a geo zone closed upward at inclination (cone up🔺) to its inside will let the drone go up even if u dont push throttle up...
are the new geo zones the same on currently fly app of mavic air 3 ???
second concerning the no fly zone is it still if u get authorization u need to land out side locked area move the drone inside then take off to be allowed to fly?? what happens in case of rth suppose u save the home outside the restricted zone will the drone fly back or what does it do...??
or now with authorization u can flly from out side to inside then leave so rth will work normally??
how does those things work now adays???

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer