DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The FAA trust recreational test is finally here.

I would like to say though, since I know Karen’s will be all over my last post, I still have my registration number from before I sold my MP2 (it hasn’t expired yet) and I also took this test yesterday because I was curious to know what it was like to be a slave to the FAA again. So all is good and you can be happy ?

What I read on the FAA website is that the test itself applies to people with a drone that weighs more than .55lb. Basically, if you have to register, you have to take the test.
Not exactly - If you fly a drone 'recreationaly' - you need to take the test regardless of registration requirements. If you have a sub-250g drone (MM, M2) you don't have to register the drone - You do have to take the test. If you already hold a Part 107 Cert, you need to take the test for those occasions when you are flying only recreationaly.

Reactions: okw
Not exactly - If you fly a drone 'recreationaly' - you need to take the test regardless of registration requirements. If you have a sub-250g drone (MM, M2) you don't have to register the drone - You do have to take the test. If you already hold a Part 107 Cert, you need to take the test for those occasions when you are flying only recreationaly.
Please see my post after the one you just replied too. Be happy ?

Reactions: Prop Wash
Apologies - It looks like we were posting about the same time. Be happy? I work on that everyday. It's a good place to be. Thx! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Amckim2084
I have tried every link on the faa page, each requires log in details. What log in details are we supposed to use? I figured it would have been my faa log in details for my drone registration, but those do not work, nor can I find a place to register. How is everyone registering to log in and take it?

I have tried every link on the faa page, each requires log in details. What log in details are we supposed to use? I figured it would have been my faa log in details for my drone registration, but those do not work, nor can I find a place to register. How is everyone registering to log in and take it?
I took mine @ UAV Coach - The only thing it requires is your name and email address at the beginning so they can email the certificate to you once complete. I did try several who wanted you to sign up for their site before taking it. Not for me.

As easy as the test was, I think it's a good thing it is now required...anyone who doesn't make 100% shouldn't be flying (especially when they tell you the answers right before asking the questions).

I think there should be a law against calling anything that easy a test. It was more like a questionnaire with multiple choices.
Having sold firearms to people for a while and issuing a lot of 4473 forms for background checks, don't underestimate stupid people.

My favorite is "Is there any legal reason that you're aware of that would prevent you from purchasing a firearm at this time?" or something very close to that.

I had 3 people actually check "yes" on that. Like, who would admit, on paper, to trying to illegally purchase a firearm?

I also had people try to phone someone to request help on a 4473. Which means they're either stupid or doing a straw purchase. Either way, insta-deny.

As easy as the test was, I think it's a good thing it is now required...anyone who doesn't make 100% shouldn't be flying (especially when they tell you the answers right before asking the questions).
If nothing else, it means once the grace period is done, that "I didn't know that was a rule" isn't an excuse any more when someone does something monumentally idiotic.

What I read on the FAA website is that the test itself applies to people with a drone that weighs more than .55lb. Basically, if you have to register, you have to take the test.
This is from the TRUST website:

How to fly a drone recreationally:

1. If your drone weighs more than .55 lbs, register your drone through the FAA's DroneZone
  2. Pass TRUST
  3. Follow safety guidelines on the FAA website or of an existing aeromodelling organization
Passing TRUST has nothing to do with registering your drone and is a separate requirement.

I'm taking this test at the end of today, then sometime in the next several weeks I'll take the Part 107 so that I can feel less restricted :)

The EU certification is not so easy...If you have intentions to fly in EU, you need to pass it as well...

Lic.jpg

That's what I thought too, but it turns out that's wrong.

Have a drone? Take the test. There are neither weight limits nor age limits.

TCS

anyone else have the problem of downloading the certificate and the size of the certificate not being 100%? If so, please let me know how you got the certificate back to 100% in the PDF setting? I tried everything but its a tiny square on both pages.

You can fly for any reason you like under Part 107, including recreationally. You just can't fly under the recreational exemption from Part 107 (Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft) without taking this test.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
It applies to everyone including children and it also applies to 107 Pilots no exceptions
A question about this occurred to me this morning. Suppose I recruit someone to be my Designated Observer. Also suppose that they just observe the aircraft, and never fly it.

Does my DO need to be TRUSTed, under those conditions?

TCS

anyone else have the problem of downloading the certificate and the size of the certificate not being 100%? If so, please let me know how you got the certificate back to 100% in the PDF setting? I tried everything but its a tiny square on both pages.
Ah hah! I'm not alone!

The process I used was:

1) Open a Word file.
2) In the certificate pdf, select the image of the front side of the cert
3) On the menu bar, there's an option to take a snapshot. Do that.
4) Paste it into the Word file. You can re-size it in the Word file
5) For the reverse side of the cert, lather, rinse, repeat.
6) Print the Word file with the cert now copied to it.

It's a kludge, but it works!

:)

TCS

Reactions: DroneToJoy
This is from the TRUST website:

How to fly a drone recreationally:

1. If your drone weighs more than .55 lbs, register your drone through the FAA's DroneZone
  2. Pass TRUST
  3. Follow safety guidelines on the FAA website or of an existing aeromodelling organization
Passing TRUST has nothing to do with registering your drone and is a separate requirement.
Did you see my other post after that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun