DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The fan

Geo

Reactions
When your Mavic lands and you hear the fan spinning do you
1.Turn your Mavic off
2. Leave it on for the fan to cool the interior for another minute or 2?

I go ahead and turn it off. At that point no additional heat is being generated so I doubt that the remaining internal heat will have an adverse effect while it dissapates.

Reactions: kidroc and dewster
Turn it off immediately.
Because the fan is cooling heat because it's running.
You're better off turning it off immediately.

The same principle with cars and motorbikes.

Discussed ad nauseum a few times already.

Even without turning on the motors, simply being powered up generates excess heat that requires the fan. When you've landed, turn it off. It will never cool until you do.

Wow, I'm doing a "180" from everyone so far. (Although if it matters then the design is wrong!)

Cooling systems are just what the name states. Shutting off power to them is a "bad thing". Running your car engine then shutting it down makes more heat because of the loss of the cooling system. You can't avoid this "shut down" but if you run something "hard" you should let it cool some before the shutdown.

As to the Mavic and the design, if it "matters" to shut it down right away then DJI should have had the "Intelligent battery" keep the fan running after we shut the drone off.

Just my .02.

As to the Mavic and the design, if it "matters" to shut it down right away
It doesn't "matter", but some people absolutely want there to be a difference :)

Total "don't care", but as explained since the internal electronics draw about 15W anytime it's on there is no point in "letting it cool", it will actually more likely heat more while standing there due to reduced cooling from no more flight-related airflow. Definitely the case if the fan wasn't running when landing.

Reactions: Path Finder
The Mavic crunches so many numbers that it's always hot. The fan comes on even in an air conditioned room.

Best to let it cool passively by shutting it down immediately after flight. Otherwise it would take too long to get packing and going

Wow, I'm doing a "180" from everyone so far. (Although if it matters then the design is wrong!)

Cooling systems are just what the name states. Shutting off power to them is a "bad thing". Running your car engine then shutting it down makes more heat because of the loss of the cooling system. You can't avoid this "shut down" but if you run something "hard" you should let it cool some before the shutdown.

As to the Mavic and the design, if it "matters" to shut it down right away then DJI should have had the "Intelligent battery" keep the fan running after we shut the drone off.

Just my .02.
I agree. It's not going to cool down as fast if the cooling system is shut off at it's peak temperature. The fan is there for a reason = to cool.

The fan is there to cool the heat being generated which won't be generated when you shut it off. This is like saying I'm feeling hot, so I'm gonna run laps around the block and have the wind cool me off.

I think with all the intelligence programmed, if the fan needed to be running after you shut down, it would continue. Or there would be an instruction on the manual to keep running until the fan turn off.

From my past long experience with computers maintenance, running fan without need just serve to accumulate dust.

I agree. It's not going to cool down as fast if the cooling system is shut off at it's peak temperature. The fan is there for a reason = to cool.
Sure, but I'd bet that, if an analysis was run on the temperature curve between fan runs, vs. shutting her down, and letting her cool, without additional loading, the difference would be insignificant. Thus the reason even DJI doesn't bother suggesting it, since it is simply a waste of time.

Reactions: kidroc
Unless you have some setup changes that you needed to do, otherwise turn it off!

Correction: How do I disconnect the cooling fan from the circuit board on a Mavic 2 Pro.
Do I lift the connector or I pull it out?
My drone had a crash and I need to replace the cooling fan among other parts.
Alex Varv Henderson Nevada USA.
I would appreciate a detailed answer. By the way, the Tech Support at DJI sucks!

Just my .02.
Thats why there a huge heat sink on the bottom as soon as you shutdown feel the bottom it sucks the heat away rapidly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones