DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Functions and Features of Dronelink's Flight Control App Seem to Good to Be True + DL's Claim Their App Doesn't Void DJI Warranty

Reactions
Dronelink's (DL) functions and features seem almost too good to be true. If you are currently using DL on a supported drone using IOS or Android, I would like a high level evaluation if DL delivers on their marketing claims. This assumes you have a Mini 2 with an Android device or another non-Mini 2 drone that's currently supported under IOS or Android. Please state which price/plan you subscribed to since the higher the plan price, the more functionality is provided. It would help clarify your evaluation. The 1st link below lists IOS/Android supported models and system requirements. Dronelink Support: Still in Beta for Mini 2 IOS as of March 14th.

The second thing that seems too good to be true is DL's claim that their flight control app does NOT void DJI's Care Refresh Warranty which I purchased with my Mini 2. I am hoping that a DJI rep monitors these forum discussions to affirm or deny DL's claim. I have not been able to get through to DJI support. I have also seen that a number of well-known forum members seem to have close ties to DJI and may be able to find out if DL's warranty claims are valid.

I have read many comments on this forum that just because DJI released an SDK package for developers, that using any flight control app other than those provided by DJI, voids DJI warranties. This is why I find it hard to believe that DL's warranty claim is true.

Current DL Models Supported and System Requirements:
https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025829933-What-are-the-system-requirements-

DL's Warranty Claims:
https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en...-Dronelink-void-my-warranty-DJI-Care-Refresh-

Thanks

I've been using Dronelink on a Mini 1 since it was first released for the Mini 1, summer before last. I got into the beta test program for $20, and now those accounts have a special legacy status with almost all the features -- a fantastic deal!

It certainly does everything it claims to do, and it is a very sophisticated system -- far more powerful than Litchi, for example. (But then, not all users need or would really use anything more powerful than Litchi.) Dronelink gives you very detailed control over what happens, when, and I don't think it has any serious rivals in that department. One nice feature is that you can build complex components that you can save and reuse in other missions, or use components that others have developed. With the advanced plans, you can program your own scripts to do anything the SDK supports.

It mostly works pretty well, but be aware that none of these "virtual stick" apps can execute a follow or orbit with a Mini as smoothly as drones that support those functions directly onboard. Other than wishing that could be improved, I'm very happy with Dronelink.

I don't have any official info on the warranty question, but I know that Dronelink claims that no warranty has ever been declined because of using Dronelink, and I've never seen anyone disprove that claim.

DJI has always been very supportive of Third Party Companies. In the last 5 years they have never denied a claim from our company Phantomrain and I would imagine the same applies to Dronelink as well as several other companies.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

The second thing that seems too good to be true is DL's claim that their flight control app does NOT void DJI's Care Refresh Warranty which I purchased with my Mini 2. I am hoping that a DJI rep monitors these forum discussions to affirm or deny DL's claim. I have not been able to get through to DJI support. I have also seen that a number of well-known forum members seem to have close ties to DJI and may be able to find out if DL's warranty claims are valid.
Using 3rd party software doesn't void your warranty.
But if it could be shown that the 3rd party software caused a flight incident, then DJI (rightfully) wouldn't honour a warranty claim.
DJI don't monitor this forum (they barely monitor their own), and you can get confused answers from their support people.
But the wording in their warranty is quite clear.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have a Dronelink Starter account and a Premium account. My Starter account allows me to create my own Functions or modify existing Functions. I don't have a Mini 2 but I have found it handy for modifying Functions to work with my Spark since the Spark gimbal only pitches down to -85º otherwise the 360 Photo On The Fly Function will not work.

I use Dronelink with my Phantom 3 Standard as well. It is powerful software and allows lots of control over your drone.

With regard to warranty claims - if there is a hardware failure while using Dronelink then DJI should honour the warranty just like it would if you were flying with their software. The drone still records a log of its flight so if the drone is returned to them then they will be able to access the log file. The flight app (Dronelink) usually does not cause a drone to crash.

I love Dronelink as it gives both my Spark and Phantom 3 extra functionality.

Chris

Hey, I really appreciate the feedback on both of my issues. When, Dronelink is out of Beta and supports the Mini 2, I will have no hesitation using it. These forums and the community spirit they create are invaluable. Thank you.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Things have changed some then. The last dii care I had when i subimitted a claim they wouldn,t give me the time of day becuase I use litchi

I bought DroneLink (in 2021, I think) and while it seems to be fully featured, for some of us it is a complicated mess to program. I never got a single mission out of it. It does have more features than Litchi but requires everything be done a specific way in a specific sequence to work out as desired. After watching hours of tutorials I am still confused as to how to create the most basic missions. The one thing that Dronelink provides is a way to point the camera where you want when you want, which is more difficult in Litchi. Perhaps I'll reinvestigate when I have some time and more available brain power.

I bought DroneLink (in 2021, I think) and while it seems to be fully featured, for some of us it is a complicated mess to program. I never got a single mission out of it. It does have more features than Litchi but requires everything be done a specific way in a specific sequence to work out as desired. After watching hours of tutorials I am still confused as to how to create the most basic missions. The one thing that Dronelink provides is a way to point the camera where you want when you want, which is more difficult in Litchi. Perhaps I'll reinvestigate when I have some time and more available brain power.
Dronelink is not for everyone!

If you just want basic flight control you can just get their basic flight package - not sure what it offers so you would have to check their website or post on their support forum any questions you have. They have excellent support on their forum and will usually respond within a day or even the same day.

I have used Dronelink for both of my older drones and have used it to customize OTF (On The Fly) missions that normally would not work with my Spark because the gimbal does not pitch down past -85º. It has amazing potential but does require more specific knowledge.

My current project (light painting) when I get more time to get back into it will be to customize the Orbit OTF so that it will fly a vertical Orbit. This requires me to have some Java programming knowledge which I don't have, but I am planning on taking on the challenge. This is the beauty of Dronelink - it allows the user to explore things other flight software doesn't.

Chris

Things have changed some then. The last dii care I had when i subimitted a claim they wouldn,t give me the time of day becuase I use litchi
Unless you told them you were using Litchi, how would they even know, if you use the Express "no analysis" replacement? My understanding is you simply ship them the crashed drone, and they ship you a refurb in exchange, after paying the DJI Care/Refresh deductible.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this is restricted to newer drones that Litchi et al have to execute the flight plan from the app, opening the door to an app bug causing strange behavior, flyaway, or a crash.

With the older models that support waypoints, the plan is uploaded through the SDK in a format defined by DJI, and executed by DJI's code on-board.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this is restricted to newer drones that Litchi et al have to execute the flight plan from the app, opening the door to an app bug causing strange behavior, flyaway, or a crash.

With the older models that support waypoints, the plan is uploaded through the SDK in a format defined by DJI, and executed by DJI's code on-board.
The newer drones using the Fly app require that the mission be uploaded in serial waypoints, during the flight of the mission, rather than all uploaded at once, before the mission. Unfortunately, as I understand it, the SDK can't do anything the app isn't capable of doing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica