DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The goggles are really.... well, ******

Macabre

Reactions
I apologize in advance because this is a rant thread.

I just feel like these goggles are just an experiment, a functioning experiment, but either the DJI team got quite lazy or we just lack the tech.

The resolution is ok. Nothing spectacular, nothing bad. I own Oculus Rift and used it quite a lot. It's a whole different market, but it's a better experience with Rift, although tethered. Maybe that's why I wasn't impressed.
For this price, they could've added 4k resolution. The range would suffer, but hell, they could've added it.

But they are still fun to use from time to time! Especially if I take someone with me who can use them while I'm flying (I do prefer my phone or tablet).

But the main problem I have with them is the bulk! 6 hours battery is not really needed. Perhaps they did it because it's logical to have a bigger battery to make the circle heaver and spread the weight or else the goggles would be too heavy in front.
But they are still bulky! Back to the beginning, I feel like it's just an experiment and we lack the tech to make them really usable.

I bought a pretty big bag. It fits everything including my camera gear but look at the space only the goggles take.
I could put extra clothing in there instead.

I'm still debating with myself if I should keep or sell them. I haven't really regretted buying them, but I do get annoyed with their size.

Attachments

• 20180620_012135.jpg
    20180620_012135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 164
@Macabre, as you can see from my profile pic, I'm also a DJI Goggles user, only in my first couple weeks. I'm only responding to share my early sense of them so far, which is a lot more positive than yours.

Can't disagree, they're pretty big, but I give credit to DJI for their clever "sling bag" (included with current Costco MPP/goggles bundle) that compactly fits goggles on one side, plus AC, RC, spare batteries, and props (though not big enough for AC charger, lens hoods, and other extras).

I'm just getting confident enough to do extended, relaxed flights in Fixed Wing Mode, which is where the FPV goggles are really delivering what I'd hoped they might: The sense of flying up in the air, as if onboard the Mavic. In that moment, I more "feel" the flying experience, and don't really "see" the screen res, much like DVD vs. BluRay doesn't matter to my brain when I'm absorbed into a great cinematic story in my home theater.

And as I get better with the controls, I'm actually starting to prefer regular flying (non-Fixed Wing) with gimbal head tracking, which seems to give the best all around scenic FPV flying experience. (Even in an airplane, the pilot can look out the windows!)

A few times now, I've also enjoyed replaying my flights on the goggles after landing. Then, I'm more relaxed and notice scenery and details I missed while my brain was multitasking on safe piloting, i.e. monitoring (and fretting about) speed, altitude, direction, obstacles, battery, signal, etc.

As you mentioned, the other perk of the DJI Goggles with Mavic Pro is being able to hand them to a friend and let them enjoy that flying experience, esp. the "wow factor" of camera gimbal head tracking. (And for all those Air vs. Pro deciders, note this scenario is *not* possible with Air.)

So at least for now, still in my "honeymoon" phase with them, chalk me up as a fan.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance because this is a rant thread.

I just feel like these goggles are just an experiment, a functioning experiment, but either the DJI team got quite lazy or we just lack the tech.

The resolution is ok. Nothing spectacular, nothing bad. I own Oculus Rift and used it quite a lot. It's a whole different market, but it's a better experience with Rift, although tethered. Maybe that's why I wasn't impressed.
For this price, they could've added 4k resolution. The range would suffer, but ****, they could've added it.

But they are still fun to use from time to time! Especially if I take someone with me who can use them while I'm flying (I do prefer my phone or tablet).

But the main problem I have with them is the bulk! 6 hours battery is not really needed. Perhaps they did it because it's logical to have a bigger battery to make the circle heaver and spread the weight or else the goggles would be too heavy in front.
But they are still bulky! Back to the beginning, I feel like it's just an experiment and we lack the tech to make them really usable.

I bought a pretty big bag. It fits everything including my camera gear but look at the space only the goggles take.
I could put extra clothing in there instead.

I'm still debating with myself if I should keep or sell them. I haven't really regretted buying them, but I do get annoyed with their size.
I agree with you about the bulk. They are big and that needs to be worked on for future iterations. I feel that the picture quality is pretty solid though. Compared to other products on the market like fatsharks, the picture is wonderful. As far as getting 4k, I think that would be a stretch for wireless. Considering how abysmal the range would be, I think the cost of putting in all the extra hardware wouldn't be worth it at all. The rift uses your pc for processing, but is an actual VR experience, the goggles aren't VR. That would be amazing if in the future DJI had two cameras on the drones specifically for a VR experience. I can't wait for that. I dont use my goggles that often, but I do like having them for when I'm flying around others. Most people are amazed when they put them on.

The DJI Goggles are definitely large. However, if you want the best and largest available picture, the DJI Goggles are currently the best available option.

I own many of the commonly used goggles/glasses that are compatible with DJI drones. While they can all be used with the Mavic Pro, most of them require an HDMI output on your mobile device and an HDMI cable connected between the goggles/glasses and mobile device. If that's not a deal-breaker for you and you decide to venture beyond the DJI Goggles, then another good option is the Avegant Glyph headset. The picture is not nearly as large, but the quality of the image is good and they are much more portable.

Last edited:
The DJI goggles were, for me, a replacement to my Zeiss Cinemizers since [disappointed at the time] the Mavic does not accommodate the use of any other FPV methods. I purchased lens inserts (3rd party) since I needed reading glasses to see clearly. The “bulk” doesn’t bother me since I don’t hike out with the goggles. I did, however score an awesome gas mask bag at a great Army Surplus store in Burbank for easy carrying. I only use the goggles when I am at home or near my car. Like the Mavic itself, the goggles are excellent for me. So much so that I have very little interest in follow-up products. For clarification, I’ve used hand-made multi-rotor units with kludgey telemetry and antenna systems, also the F550 hexacopter, Discovery Pro and earlier Phantoms FoxTech and Fat Shark goggles . For that reason I can easily be content and consider myself spoiled. I also don’t fly for hours but rather burn through 3 or 4 batteries so the size and weight of the DJI goggles are not an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo
@Macabre, as you can see from my profile pic, I'm also a DJI Goggles user, only in my first couple weeks. I'm only responding to share my early sense of them so far, which is a lot more positive than yours.

Can't disagree, they're pretty big, but I give credit to DJI for their clever "sling bag" (included with current Costco MPP/goggles bundle) that compactly fits goggles on one side, plus AC, RC, spare batteries, and props (though not big enough for AC charger, lens hoods, and other extras).

I'm just getting confident enough to do extended, relaxed flights in Fixed Wing Mode, which is where the FPV goggles are really delivering what I'd hoped they might: The sense of flying up in the air, as if onboard the Mavic. In that moment, I more "feel" the flying experience, and don't really "see" the screen res, much like DVD vs. BluRay doesn't matter to my brain when I'm absorbed into a great cinematic story in my home theater.

And as I get better with the controls, I'm actually starting to prefer regular flying (non-Fixed Wing) with gimbal head tracking, which seems to give the best all around scenic FPV flying experience. (Even in an airplane, the pilot can look out the windows!)

A few times now, I've also enjoyed replaying my flights on the goggles after landing. Then, I'm more relaxed and notice scenery and details I missed while my brain was multitasking on safe piloting, i.e. monitoring (and fretting about) speed, altitude, direction, obstacles, battery, signal, etc.

As you mentioned, the other perk of the DJI Goggles with Mavic Pro is being able to hand them to a friend and let them enjoy that flying experience, esp. the "wow factor" of camera gimbal head tracking. (And for all those Air vs. Pro deciders, note this scenario is *not* possible with Air.)

So at least for now, still in my "honeymoon" phase with them, chalk me up as a fan.

If you are referring to the gimbal head tracking not working with the Air, that is not correct. It now works with the Air (gimbal tilt up/down and rotate aircraft left/right). I own both and works great. only thing you can't do is wirelessly connect them to the aircraft directly or use both a tablet/phone and goggles at the same time (unless you use a tablet with separate HDMI output port, but then no head tracking.

If you are referring to the gimbal head tracking not working with the Air, that is not correct. It now works with the Air (gimbal tilt up/down and rotate aircraft left/right). I own both and works great. only thing you can't do is wirelessly connect them to the aircraft directly or use both a tablet/phone and goggles at the same time (unless you use a tablet with separate HDMI output port, but then no head tracking.
@FEMit, thanks for clarifying, that's great to hear. It was the more the dual screen+goggles scenario I was referring to, but I also didn't think MA supported Head Tracking Flight, at least it didn't seem to a few weeks ago when we attempted it.

I'm also figuring out that I like Head Tracking Gimbal while I'm in constant forward motion, whereas Head Tracking Flight is most useful for pausing and looking around 360 degrees. But perhaps I just haven't mastered optimal head tracking fight control yet, so will give it some more tries. I remain disappointed by the Fixed Wing Mode experience, since the tradeoff to gain the feel of airplane flight is highly restricted visibility.

Reactions: FEMit
@FEMit, thanks for clarifying, that's great to hear. It was the more the dual screen+goggles scenario I was referring to, but I also didn't think MA supported Head Tracking Flight, at least it didn't seem to a few weeks ago when we attempted it.

I'm also figuring out that I like Head Tracking Gimbal while I'm in constant forward motion, whereas Head Tracking Flight is most useful for pausing and looking around 360 degrees. But perhaps I just haven't mastered optimal head tracking fight control yet, so will give it some more tries. I remain disappointed by the Fixed Wing Mode experience, since the tradeoff to gain the feel of airplane flight is highly restricted visibility.
Just make sure you turn your head/body quite a bit, it doesn't rotate with slight head rotation, at least for me.

Reactions: genesimmons
Just make sure you turn your head/body quite a bit, it doesn't rotate with slight head rotation, at least for me.
If anything, I'd say head tracking is a bit *too* sensitive for stable flight control, in Head Tracking Flight mode. And note, there is head tracking sensitivity adjustment in the DJI Goggles settings, but I haven't made adjustments there.

I think my bigger sense is that steering the aircraft's direction through head movement feels unnatural to me, and even a bit uncomfortable/scary -- thankfully, my car doesn't drive in all the directions I look! Keeping flight control (RC) independent from view direction (head tracking) is delivering the most enjoyable experience so far, i.e. looking around anywhere I want while feeling confident the AC is heading in its constant direction.

We all have different needs for goggles.
Maybe i didn't give the dji goggles a fair chance but I just didn't like them.
My eyesight would require special inserts, they are BIG, and too complicated for me.
I felt like i was going to swipe the wrong thing on the pad.
It was nice to be wireless
I kept my avegant glyph goggles but had to get a nvidea shield to use them with the hdmi port.
1/3 the size of the dji's and clear image so no need for glasses.
I also could view line of sight.
That's huge for me.
Maybe i'm not very good at this o_O

We all have different needs for goggles.
Maybe i didn't give the dji goggles a fair chance but I just didn't like them.
My eyesight would require special inserts, they are BIG, and too complicated for me.
I felt like i was going to swipe the wrong thing on the pad.
It was nice to be wireless
I kept my avegant glyph goggles but had to get a nvidea shield to use them with the hdmi port.
1/3 the size of the dji's and clear image so no need for glasses.
I also could view line of sight.
That's huge for me.
Maybe i'm not very good at this o_O

I’m missing something on one part of that.

I’m not young by any stretch of the imagination and need reading glasses. I need corrective lenses for the DJI headset.

But no matter how clear the image heck could be 20k it would still be a blur right next to my face. So I’m just curious when you say they have a clear image so no need for glasses what your referencing?

I almost sold my MPP prior to last crash that ot survived but made me chsnge my mind and by rc goggles. Now I must say they made flying interesting again for me. Basically the same story as @KeithLa... Only my honeymoon lasts already half a year... Check this out:

This was done all in sports mode, headtracking gimbal and rc goggles on... I guess I will not be able to fly this video just by rc alone (still need some practice though:)

Reactions: KeithLa
I’m missing something on one part of that.

I’m not young by any stretch of the imagination and need reading glasses. I need corrective lenses for the DJI headset.

But no matter how clear the image heck could be 20k it would still be a blur right next to my face. So I’m just curious when you say they have a clear image so no need for glasses what your referencing?
Correct. I wear reading glasses most of the time but I don't need them with the glyphs.
The Glyphs have adjustable lenses. They go from side to side and you can adjust the focus similar to binoculars
The image is so clear that I feel like I'm wearing reading glasses

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada