DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The good old Mavic controller drain with android issue

edlloyd

Reactions
Hi all. Back into DJI drones after a few years. Picked up a Mini and having the controller drain/charging the android device issues that I know have been discussed a million times. I see a ton of posts everywhere about it but never a solution. Are there any yet for this other than getting an apple device?

I flew my first 2 mini batteries on an android phone and my controller was down to one light and 2nd blinking. not sure i would have made it through a 3rd battery

I flew my first 2 mini batteries on an android phone and my controller was down to one light and 2nd blinking. not sure i would have made it through a 3rd battery
What was the state of charge of the controller and the phone before flying?

Hi all. Back into DJI drones after a few years. Picked up a Mini and having the controller drain/charging the android device issues that I know have been discussed a million times. I see a ton of posts everywhere about it but never a solution. Are there any yet for this other than getting an apple device?
Nope

it may well be your power saving (or lack of) options on your android phone .... I am android (S8) dont see any issues

Plug the power last. Stops all extraneous drain and keeps your phone/tablet at 100%

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 68
I've started carrying a small portable battery for the rc if the tablet sucks too much juice. Since the tablet uses the USB port on the low center of the rc, I'll plug in the battery at the micro USB and problem solved!

Does this "charging from the controller" behavior apply to all Android devices? I was thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8", but not if it's gonna suck life out of the controller. When I used my Moto G7, the controller was drained pretty quickly. At the moment I'm using an old iphone, but it would be nice to have a larger screen.

Reactions: Stacy
I'm using a new Samsung Tablet A Not seeing any battery drain problems. Just make sure all are at 100% before flying. Also, make sure the Samsung (Android) has all connections off. Things like Bluetooth Wi fi etc.

I saw the video where on any android device connected to the RC was charging current about 0.5A.
For preventing it, i cut the red wire inside the cable and soldered a tiny smd resistor 150 om into this place.

Reactions: th_wolf
Purchase the used iPad mini 4 and never look back. Best solution, period! Of course I admit I'm an Apple fan.

Reactions: KimiTs
This is asinine on DJI's part. They advertise it as Android compatible, but there is no solution to the issue even after years of complaints. Wake up DJI! Android commands about half of all devices in the US and elsewhere.

DJI has ignored this issue long enough! I can't use my $2 k drone more than 40 minutes before the controller is drained due to idiotic behavior of charging my cell phone.

I shouldn't have to buy an external power pack to charge the controller while the controller charges the phone in some kind of f'd up daisy chain of charging just to fly my drone, yet that seems to be the only viable resolution.

I will start a new thread. Please respond to it if you are an an Android user and are tired of this issue.

Reactions: Bart Como
I shouldn't have to buy an external power pack to charge the controller while the controller charges the phone in some kind
No need to buy an additional external power bank. Just use the Mavic Batteries and the USB adapter ...

1582953448560.png

Get a Data only Cable , that may help with drain
Shouldn't the DJI cables be data only? I wonder where I could find a USB data cable? That would work with this.

I ended up buying a mini iPad for the time being. But this seriously is stupid.

Reactions: Air Dog Two

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk