DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The great debate... Clearsky or Tablet

Cormad

Reactions
Hey all,

About to pull the trigger on a new screen. I have read many threads on the comparison of the two. My simple question is , Is there a tablet I can use in full sun with out a shade ?

Jeff

My underpowered Tab A is very clear on a sunny day. I am not recommending this tablet but it shows that there are options to CrystalSky, which IMHO is way too expensive for a monitor.

CrystalSky Ultra is a million times better than any tablet

Tablets/phones are terrible for your eyes in the sunlight with all the glare. Even a sun shade doesn't help that much. My CS Ultra beats squinting and trying to see the screen with reflections coming off of it. I can see 100% clear detail even standing under direct sun light with zero screen reflection.

It also makes night flying really easy

My theory is if you are investing $1,200+ in a drone what is another $1,000 for the most important part (to be able to fly with the best visuals possible)

Reactions: Jeffreyp
I have to second that thought. I have a current version Samsung Tab A 10.1", which is obviously very big, but the display is very nice, the tablet handles the demands of the App without breaking a sweat...
Good to hear the new Tab A works well.
CrystalSky Ultra is a million times better than any tablet...
No doubt. I just think the price is too high for a display, especially when I already have something that works well. I am glad it works for you.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
The crystal sky is expensive, but I would not say it’s too expensive. It’s aimed at the pro and does a great job. It’s only that all the hobbyists want it because they want the latest and best that are complaining about the price of something not marketed for them.
I think it is great that DJI have made this compatible for our toys, for those that are happy to pay the price
Bottom line is that if it was too expensive, it wouldn’t be selling. I think the sales figures are quite good

I tend to alternate between my iPad Pro 12” if I want the big screen to show others or if in the sun I use the Crystal Sky. On occasion I have even just used my galaxy phone

Last edited:
Reactions: Ping^Spike
and at full brightness, more than acceptable in the sun
The tab a isn't good in full sun. Anything that has a brightness under 1000 nits isn't really acceptable in the sun. There are a few phones on the market that have brightness levels that high, and the crystalsky does too obviously. Things like the tab a are what I would call barely useable in the sun, not acceptable at all.

Thanks for your opinion. I'm pretty sure that if I couldn't see the display clearly, I would have probably noticed the issue by now.

Again, I ALREADY owned the tablet, gave it a whirl and found it works pretty good. That's all I need to know. If you need something more, by all means go for it.
I have that same tablet too. I wasnt debating whether or not you can see it. I was more letting the OP know not to buy it because it's a terrible tablet for flying. And I did need something more. I bought the crystalsky ultra and now i can see the screen in the sun.

The best tablet is the one you have. I flew for years with iPads and android tabs which where ‘amazing’ when moving from some of the cheapest fpv screens I used previously, and I was reasonable happy. But now I’m used to the CS, it is hard going back

Your right. I can't see ****. I'll toss my tablet in the trash tomorrow. Lol
Well, I guess I will just be blunt. You said the tab a is more than acceptable in the full sun, which is crap. It isn't even close. The tab a is under 500 nits in brightness. People complain about not being able to see screens that are over 500 nits on this forum all the time. You even say that you are impatiently waiting on a screen shade. Why? If your screen is so visible in the full sun, why are you ordering a shade? I have the tab a, a shade for it, and even bought a special mount for it. I wanted to use my tab a, but it just sucked. As far as processing power, memory, and all that jazz, it's great. I never had a pixelation, lag, or similar problem with. As a screen for viewing in the full sun, it sucks. I have a crystalsky which really is viewable in the full sun, and guess what? Buying a screen shade for it has never even crossed my mind.

Reactions: Elhefe4
Just received my cs ultra and am glad I did. I was using a mini4 and iPad Pro 9.7 and they suck out here in the desert.

You know what Mav, I really don't care what you think. I got the shade today, and it's fine. I'm happy and that's all that matters. I don't give crap what some blowhard online thinks. I already said the Crystalsky is no doubt a way better performer. What the **** else do you want me to say, *******?
You have the wrong idea on this conversation. You seem to be taking it as a pissing match. It isn't. You are giving bad advice as to what is visible in the full sun. I am clearing it up. I HAVE the tab a 10.1. I like it. It's a great tablet. Is it good for flying in full sun? Absolutely not. You are taking this as attack on you or something. It isn't. I am trying to help someone make a decision on buying a tablet for flying. I spent a lot of money finding a good device for flying in the sun. If I can help people avoid the mistakes I made, I dont mind doing that. Is the tab a usable? Sure. Are people going to have a good experience with it in direct sun? No.20180607_112153.jpg

You have a problem communicating with people without insulting them
Where did I insult you?
I was very straight forward in saying that so far, my Tab A has worked pretty good for me, PERIOD. Nothing more and nothing less.
No no no...You clearly said
at full brightness, more than acceptable in the sun
Those two statements are very different. You then go on to say that you are buying a shade for it. Again, if it's so great in the sun, why do you need a shade?
I get the fact that you LOVE the Ultra
I have actually said very little about the ultra in this thread. My main talking points were all about the Tab A not being usable in the full sun. Very little was said about the crystalsky.
Ultra is the only solution on the planet, and everything else is stupid
Again, totally your words, not mine. I never said that or anything remotely close to that.
I have zero interest in a skipping record fanboy.
Look in the mirror bud. Again, I have said very little about the crystalsky, and the reason that I did, is that the OP SPECIFICALLY ASKED ABOUT THE CRYSTALSKY. 95% of what I have said is that the Tab A isn't good in the sun. You took major offense to that and YOU acted like the fanboy, not me.

I know that this will be like throwing gas on a fire, but my Tab A works fine in the sun. I am guessing that if compared to a CS it would look like crap, but it is very usable.

Maybe it's because I have used so many devices that I have a different definition of what's usable in the sun. Kind of like if someone has only ever used windows 3.1 and nothing else, they would probably say that windows 3.1 is perfectly acceptable as an OS. People that have used Windows 10 or MacOS would beg to differ. Or if someone has only ever seen TV in old 360p standard definition on a tube TV. They would probably very well say that it's perfectly acceptable. People who use 4k TVs would probably beg to differ. I think it's the same line of thinking here. People that have only used sub 500 nit displays probably just dont know any better. They dont know that you are supposed to be able to see things like power lines before you are 1 foot away from them. They probably never experienced flying 3 feet above the tree tops. They probably think it's normal to have to fly at least 100 feet above everything for fear of hitting something. Like MrMagoo even said, he has never used a crystalsky, he has probably only used a dim tablet and just doesn't know any better. Maybe if he ever uses one, he might change his definition

You are probably right, Mavflyer. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (it is for me :)). I think the majority of complaints about the Mavic camera comes from those that have experience using a quality DLSR. People that know how a high quality camera works are generally unhappy with Mavic cameras where those without such experience will rave about the pictures they are getting. The same holds true about display devices. I am guessing that if I saw a CS in use I would see that in comparison I am using an inferior device.

You are probably right, Mavflyer. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (it is for me :)). I think the majority of complaints about the Mavic camera comes from those that have experience using a quality DLSR. People that know how a high quality camera works are generally unhappy with Mavic cameras where those without such experience will rave about the pictures they are getting. The same holds true about display devices. I am guessing that if I saw a CS in use I would see that in comparison I am using an inferior device.
I was trying to think of a good comparison for these forums, and I think yours was perfect. I have seen many posts here from DSLR users about the mavic camera being terrible and others, who presumably never used high quality cameras, saying that the mavic camera is basically flawless. Its kind of like the standard definition TV vs the 4k TV comparison. If you never saw 4k, you would have no point of reference and would still think SDTV was great.

Reactions: barcs09
Mavflyer, you are right about the TV's. That's why I walk right past a TV display without looking; I am happy with mine until I see what is available now.

Happy flying.

I was trying to think of a good comparison for these forums, and I think yours was perfect. I have seen many posts here from DSLR users about the mavic camera being terrible and others, who presumably never used high quality cameras, saying that the mavic camera is basically flawless. Its kind of like the standard definition TV vs the 4k TV comparison. If you never saw 4k, you would have no point of reference and would still think SDTV was great.

Mav, I have enjoyed reading both sides of this discussion. I fly with an Iphone 7+ but aspire to one day step up to CS. I comment here only because I think you are giving Mrmagloo a hard time over a subjective opinion like the cost/utility of a monitor which makes no sense. Why argue with someone over how well they can see their own screen and whether they are happy with what they have? For all we know Mrmagloo has better than average eyesight!
upload_2018-6-7_21-5-59.jpeg

Mav, I have enjoyed reading both sides of this discussion. I fly with an Iphone 7+ but aspire to one day step up to CS. I comment here only because I think you are giving Mrmagloo a hard time over a subjective opinion like the cost/utility of a monitor which makes no sense. Why argue with someone over how well they can see their own screen and whether they are happy with what they have? For all we know Mrmagloo has better than average eyesight!
View attachment 39693
I wasnt really giving him a hard time. My first post just gave my opinion that I couldn't see it well in the sun. He got snarky on his next post, and I then explained to him that I wasn't debating whether he could see it or not and that I was just giving my opinion to the OP. He then became an ****** about it even after I explained that I was just trying to help the OP make an informed decision.
Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More / Care Refresh w/ Accessories
He talks about how great the tablet is and how he never had an issues out of it. You can see here that he had his bird for a week and is selling it. He only has about 2 hours flight time under his belt. No wonder he hasn't experienced any issues! He has hardly used it. Bottom line is he took offense to me criticizing something that he owned when I was giving the OP my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lord - Now this strange bird Mavflyer is private messaging me, telling me he's stalking all my posts, and now insisting that I have no right to be happy with the equipment that I have acquired so far. That I'm too inexperienced be be able to make such a claim or engage in the discussion.

Yes, I bought my MPP in Mid - May, and have now have 40 some flights and and close to 8 hours, but still, I'm not entitled to my OWN opinion of the suitability of what I use? What?? I wonder how many hours of use you need under your belt before you are finally allowed to judge how you like your own stuff. Very weird person. Oh, and I guess he missed my posts about this being my second drone, but I digress.

Is this normal for your veterans to jump newer guys to the hobby and insist they have to discard and buy more equipment - particularly the equipment they specifically recommend, or they harass you about it? All I said was it's working great for me so far and I don't feel the need to upgrade yet. All I can guess is this guy is a little unstable. Starting to send bizarre private messages is kind of going over a line, and I have hopes one of the mods deals with this idiot soon.
You mad bro? You seem mad. Especially since you are making things up now. Take a chill pill. It's not good to be so mad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000