DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Isle of Mull, Scotland

WOW. Just loved your vid, in some transitions it was OTT , But the included sound affects fitted perfectly above the background pipes. well done , must have a look at your editing software , where do you find it ??

WOW. Just loved your vid, in some transitions it was OTT , But the included sound affects fitted perfectly above the background pipes. well done , must have a look at your editing software , where do you find it ??
Think he said Davnci Resolve in first post.

Reactions: sworduk
I don’t mean to be critical but please lose the cheesy transitions. They do nothing but distract from the smoothness of your shooting. You’ll never see them used in professional video... for good reason.
This was a truly fascinating video with lots of very nice filming sequences. I would not be as brave going under bridges and narrow spaces. The Scottish music track was a bit cloying, and the transitions were typical beginner tricks that should be dumped. On the whole though, I would give this one a "B."

Reactions: Pietros
Well, I really liked the transitions and many congrats on great footage. My only criticism is that it seemed a little jerky. I'm guessing your frame rate was around 24 (let me know - I'm curious)? I think the whole 60fpm would have given a smoother outcome. Nice one tho'.
Tim

Reactions: Serhii
Nice shooting. May I suggest slowing everything down a bit. I got the impression of hurry, rushing from one clip to the next, fast transitions some of which were a bit jerky. Overall a great start, though.

Reactions: Serhii
Hello everyone,

I've just started learning to edit videos using DaVinci Resolve and would like to hear your feedback on filming, editing, sound, etc.

I was very impressed you your video editing!

This was a truly fascinating video with lots of very nice filming sequences. I would not be as brave going under bridges and narrow spaces. The Scottish music track was a bit cloying, and the transitions were typical beginner tricks that should be dumped. On the whole though, I would give this one a "B."
#Dale D

Might be mistaken but they sounded more like Irish pipes to me.

Well, I really liked the transitions and many congrats on great footage. My only criticism is that it seemed a little jerky. I'm guessing your frame rate was around 24 (let me know - I'm curious)? I think the whole 60fpm would have given a smoother outcome. Nice one tho'.
Tim
Hi Tim, that is a good catch. Yes, it is 24fps, I agree it is jerky, especially when there is some fast-changing foreground. Yes, mistakes were made. Hopefully, I will know better next time.

Very nice video! I'm also a Davinci editor and I can see someone who knows quite a bit of what they are doing here. Color grading is very good! And in general the drone movements are very good too. ?

A couple of things I did notice though.

#1: Around 0:20 there are a few jump cuts. While this can be a nice way to show a long shot without the viewer getting bored, in general I try to avoid jump cuts if at all possible. I usually use a speed ramp between the beginning of the clip and the end. This gives it more continuity while still giving the same effect of making a long shot shorter.

#2: I agree with what others have said, the "seamless" transitions are a bit too much. While I am not a purist who never uses fancy transitions, I think they should be used very sparingly and only if the movement in the clips fits together. I totally get trying all the transitions out! Been there done that! I think we all go through stages of over using things, whether it be a transitions or a certain grading "look" or whatever it be.

All in all great job! Keep it up!

Hi Tim, that is a good catch. Yes, it is 24fps, I agree it is jerky, especially when there is some fast-changing foreground. Yes, mistakes were made. Hopefully, I will know better next time.
I usually go for 30fps for projects unless I have NDs and can shoot everything at 180 degree shutter. I never export in 60fps, but I capture a lot that way.

Hello everyone,

I've just started learning to edit videos using DaVinci Resolve and would like to hear your feedback on filming, editing, sound, etc.

Great video! I agree on removing the transitions or switching to cross-dissolve. What I LOVED was the subtle sound effects you added of the running animals, waterfalls and car. Nice touch!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock