DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Land of Ice & Fire (Part 10 - Ísafjörður)

MPone

Reactions
**This footage is poorly shot. The rising sun is not in my favor. And we have to leave to stay on schedule.

The drive to Ísafjörður, the largest town in the Westfjords is characterized by stunning steep-sided mountain scenery and narrow fjords. This town is unique as compare to the others as it protrudes into the fjord. Ísafjörður means fjord of ice is a town in the northwest of Iceland. With a population of about 2,600, Ísafjörður is almost surrounded by steep-sided mountains making it look like a fortress walled town.

**This footage is poorly shot. The rising sun is not in my favor. And we have to leave to stay on schedule.

The drive to Ísafjörður, the largest town in the Westfjords is characterized by stunning steep-sided mountain scenery and narrow fjords. This town is unique as compare to the others as it protrudes into the fjord. Ísafjörður means fjord of ice is a town in the northwest of Iceland. With a population of about 2,600, Ísafjörður is almost surrounded by steep-sided mountains making it look like a fortress walled town.
Thanks for sharing your video sir, probably the safest place to fly a drone these days. Interesting regardless, I've flown over it most likely. Yet never visited unfortunately.

Reactions: MPone

Very cool! I’m heading to Iceland later this year and plan to bring my MPP with me. Do you have any advice traveling from the Midwest to Iceland with a drone? I understand the fundamental dynamics of traveling with drones. Just looking for anything specific that ties to a trip to Iceland. Thx!!

Very cool! I’m heading to Iceland later this year and plan to bring my MPP with me. Do you have any advice traveling from the Midwest to Iceland with a drone? I understand the fundamental dynamics of traveling with drones. Just looking for anything specific that ties to a trip to Iceland. Thx!!

There is no issue taking drones to Iceland. But drones are forbiden in most tourist attractions with signs posted. What I did was I launched outside the area and fly in high above. In the highlands you can fly anywhere as there's nobody around. Get a 4x4 (BIG one) if you plan to go offroad into the highlands, lots of challenging driving and river crossings.

Get a 4x4 (BIG one) if you plan to go offroad into the highlands, lots of challenging driving and river crossings.

That sounds like a great holiday, wonder if the Ranger can be got there for a pretty reasonable cost ? :D
Of course hiring one there is the answer, though would be nice to have your own that you know well.

That sounds like a great holiday, wonder if the Ranger can be got there for a pretty reasonable cost ? :D
Of course hiring one there is the answer, though would be nice to have your own that you know well.

Not sure if there are Rangers for rent. Car rental and insurance coverage are very expensive there.

Not sure if there are Rangers for rent. Car rental and insurance coverage are very expensive there.

I bet . . . even here in Australia, it is restrictive hiring 4WDs, many people go on our aussie 4WD forums asking, there are many pitfalls . . .
Some don't allow travel on the more remote or rough 4WD tracks, their policies are understandable in some cases.
Many people don't know how to properly drive the incredibly varying road conditions here, gravel, sand, wet clay / mud etc.

It's usually cheaper here to buy an older reliable vehicle to do our trip and sell later, this would be harder in Iceland.

Hmmmm, maybe those little road hire cars there are ok for some highland tracks :)
Here in Aust, it's an ongoing joke that hire cars and company supplied vehicles can go many places a 4WD can ?

I bet . . . even here in Australia, it is restrictive hiring 4WDs, many people go on our aussie 4WD forums asking, there are many pitfalls . . .
Some don't allow travel on the more remote or rough 4WD tracks, their policies are understandable in some cases.
Many people don't know how to properly drive the incredibly varying road conditions here, gravel, sand, wet clay / mud etc.

It's usually cheaper here to buy an older reliable vehicle to do our trip and sell later, this would be harder in Iceland.

Hmmmm, maybe those little road hire cars there are ok for some highland tracks :)
Here in Aust, it's an ongoing joke that hire cars and company supplied vehicles can go many places a 4WD can ?

There is no way a normal car could go on the highland dirt tracks. Trust me - totally impossible. The dirt tracks are so bad that the wheels could easily pop out.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece