DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The last time I will ever use ebay for selling a drone

I am very pleased I got to keep MY MONEY for selling MY product, however I am not happy with the fact that someone got to keep MY product and received their money back.

I agree with you. Paypal is not perfect at all. Their fees and Ebay's fees become ridiculous when selling expensive equipment. And then you have the possibility of someone ruining your product and claiming it arrived like that. I try my best to sell local but no one really has 800$ lying around usually otherwise I would be done with paypal.
So in other words would you say this has been a hassle for you?

I my mind, it is obvious that it was more cost effective for eBay/PP just gave back the money to both the buyer and seller to make the issue go away. It would have cost PP a lot more money than $800 to investigate the claim and prosecute. And maybe they have opened up a case on the buyer, for further investigation, hopefully so. I have bought and sold lots of things on eBay and this is the first I have heard of something like this happening and it is very disturbing.

I had a similar thing happen 2 years ago, I sold a Traxxas Slash Buishless 4x4 on Ebay and it got delivered. However when it got there supposedly the truck was not in the box (but the remote, charger and all accessories were) So the buyer opened a case against me and pay pal froze the funds. Luckily for me I had it insured through fed ex and I actually had my original purchase receipt and I Got 200 more than the ebay buyer paid me. I refunded the guy his money and he was supposed to send the slash back but I never saw it.

why dont you guys sell your goods on amazon?,never an issue and tons of exposure.

why dont you guys sell your goods on amazon?,never an issue and tons of exposure.

pretty sure Drone were not allowed to be sold on amazon. Many things are being removed from the being able to be sold list. I had to sell a lot of my computer parts on other websites due to them not allowing me to sell my video card.

pretty sure Drone were not allowed to be sold on amazon. Many things are being removed from the being able to be sold list. I had to sell a lot of my computer parts on other websites due to them not allowing me to sell my video card.
new and used drones are sold on amazon all the time

I still say the PAYMENT was made with a source that was not the buyers. Account has nothing to do with it. Whoever owned the credit card or bank account reversed the charges. Not the buyer. That’s why he still has the drone. For now.

Correct. Apparently his paypal had his old company (family company) credit card on it. The owner saw the charge and declined. He said he was in contact with them to fix the issue.

I simply asked him, "you did not notice that 800$ didn't come out of your account?" his smart *** remark was "I am lucky enough I do not have to count every nickle and dime". Nice guy. Blocked him from ebay.

I had the same issue once. Sounded very familiar!. Only on eBay does everybody win. He isn’t done with them yet. He may get banned unless he corrects the payment with them.

I still say the PAYMENT was made with a source that was not the buyers. Account has nothing to do with it. Whoever owned the credit card or bank account reversed the charges. Not the buyer. That’s why he still has the drone. For now.
Exactly what I thought. Seller got his money, what's the problem?

Exactly what I thought. Seller got his money, what's the problem?
You are of course, correct. No need to waste energy if you have your money.

That said, while I can't speak for the OP, if it were me I'd still be a bit bothered by the incident. It was, after-all, a close call. I have seen plenty of other cases where the seller lost out. If nothing else, this was a learning experience.

Mike

If you cover your a@@ buy stating as-is. And no returns. Use delivery confirmation to prove it got there as a seller you will win every time. If you mis represent the item and the seller proves it you lose.
In this case the buyer isn’t going to keep that drone at no cost. I can almost bet you that. The seller is paid so he will never know how it works out in the end

Be happy you got to keep the money.

I bought a product with a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. I paid with PayPal, over $100.

When I asked for my money back because the product differed from the description, the company refused tp honor their guarantee.

PayPal backed the company.

Both this company's and PayPal's repeated offers (at least weekly) go straight to the trash.

Similar situation. I sold a Phantom 2 "as-is" and US only. Well the creep that bought it was in Russia and used a
gimmick US address to get it shipped to him then he bitched about one feature not working right . Hello AS IS
Long story short I ended up refunding part of the money just to get my PayPal back up. .Ebay and PayPal are
just as bad as the crooks that use them. Emailed Ebay about US only in my selling description and they
never even responded. So its now "Seller beware"

I really don't know if this is the right section to post this, but here we go. I personally hate ebay. Their fees are out of control and the seller has very few protections when it comes to issues. I sold my dji mavic pro back in February to a guy who lives in Hawaii. He had 50 100% positive reviews, so I thought I could trust him because it was over the course of a few years. His paypal was a verified address and he paid immediately. I shipped out the drone two days later and he received it 4 days after that. He left me a positive review saying the drone was great and he is happy with the purchase.

About 30 days later I receive a paypal notification telling me that the person who purchased my drone opened up a case against me claiming that he did not purchase the drone and that it was a fraudulent charge. I knew this could not be true. Paypal immediately puts me into the negative $ while they investigate. I send paypal the tracking information, the correspondence between him and I regarding the positive feedback, and screenshots of his instagram page showing him flying the drone around (he had no drone pictures prior to the date in which he received my drone). Fast forward to today, two months after he purchased it, and paypal/banking institution has decided to rule in his favor but let me keep my money.

How is this right? How can you let someone keep a product that they purchased and then give them 100% of their money back because they claimed it was fraud? The evidence 100% supports me. That is classic fraud and needs to be prosecuted.

Screenshots attached.
Jumping in on this late.
As a fraud investigator, I can tell you it is INCREDIBLY difficult to get fraud prosecuted, even when it is over 10k.
When I am sent after a potential fraud, it usually costs $4k-$7k before I have enough evidence to get a tight enough case that a police department would even consider taking it, and sometimes it is still not enough for them to take it. IF they do, the police detectives have to conduct their own investigation, albeit they'll just be duplicating my investigation, then it goes to a prosecutor who can accept it or refuse it (at that point it dies).

In your case, you got your money back, and even though you were inconvenienced, that is all in the cost of doing business.
Your best remedy is to leave scathing feedback for the prick.

You guys are all very confused. This has zip to do with PayPal and eBay.

They went through their process with the guarantees they advertise.

This guy did not claim back through PayPal or eBay. He claimed back through the card issuer. I.e his bank. His bank would also have a policy on fraudulent card use.

His bank is not the least bit interested in discussions with PayPal. The PayPal system is the biggest competitor to banks for micro payments.

His bank would have stopped payment through PayPal to eBay. And they put the OP on the payment hold till it was resolved. It was resolved by PayPal and eBay in the sellers favour. Why he got paid in the end.

As I said the bank is not interested in these small claims. They cover these losses by having huge interest rates on the cards.

The op should not blame PayPal or eBay.

Op don’t stress. These scammers end up ripping off the wrong people sooner or later and get their just rewards.

It’s Karma.

Cheers Brian

Seller got paid the selling price. Legit looking buyer probability got away with fraud. Ebay took the hit and it’s up to them to do something or not. If it makes you feel better, write a scathing review for the buyer and call it a day. You are aware that Ebay is your friend in this instance?

They have their issues but the title of your post should be: Hurray for Ebay, they made me whole

Last edited:
This is probably one of the reasons why eBay has such high seller fees. So they can pay the fraudsters and everyone's happy.
They call it eBay Money Back Guarantee.

I agree with the OP. I had a similar experience about a month ago I had sold my Mavic Pro (opened but unused) to a buyer in Hawaii. The money was on hold but I was told to ship. I called PayPal and asked them what projects the seller if he crashes my drone and claims that it arrived damaged. They had no good answer for me. Took it to USPS anyway even though I didn’t feel good about it. They couldn’t locate the address in their system. Something did not feel right so I returned the money and sold it on Craigslist instead. Took a little longer but worth it.

I had similar issues with Ebay a few years ago. Will never buy or sell from them again. Sellers have no protection against corrupt buyers.
Amazon all the way now.
I hope your kidding. Amazon is 100x worse then ebay. I do $30,000+ a month on ebay and around $23,000 on Amazon. Amazon's employees are idiots and always favor the buyer.

I really don't know if this is the right section to post this, but here we go. I personally hate ebay. Their fees are out of control and the seller has very few protections when it comes to issues. I sold my dji mavic pro back in February to a guy who lives in Hawaii. He had 50 100% positive reviews, so I thought I could trust him because it was over the course of a few years. His paypal was a verified address and he paid immediately. I shipped out the drone two days later and he received it 4 days after that. He left me a positive review saying the drone was great and he is happy with the purchase.

About 30 days later I receive a paypal notification telling me that the person who purchased my drone opened up a case against me claiming that he did not purchase the drone and that it was a fraudulent charge. I knew this could not be true. Paypal immediately puts me into the negative $ while they investigate. I send paypal the tracking information, the correspondence between him and I regarding the positive feedback, and screenshots of his instagram page showing him flying the drone around (he had no drone pictures prior to the date in which he received my drone). Fast forward to today, two months after he purchased it, and paypal/banking institution has decided to rule in his favor but let me keep my money.

How is this right? How can you let someone keep a product that they purchased and then give them 100% of their money back because they claimed it was fraud? The evidence 100% supports me. That is classic fraud and needs to be prosecuted.

Screenshots attached.
This same exact thing happened to me years ago and why I stopped selling on eBay. I had all the documentation to prove the sale was legit, but they did the exact same thing, ruled in their favor, but reluctantly gave me my money back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio