DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic Air isn't a neighborhood drone...

Yes that's correct..
So far it seems like my spark gets the same if not better range ,than the air and I believe and it's also on 2.4
I was expecting twice the range of the mavic air which would be up to 2000 ft in the city, but so far no dice..
My thoughts are that the mavic air is just a spark plus ..
The folding arms are cool ,but the size is similar to the spark as well as the performance.
Camera quality is also similar to an untrained eye..
So the air is 10 mph faster than the spark and flies for 6 or 7 minutes more with a couple new bells and whistles.
Like I said the cameras seem similar and the gimbal is better on the air...just my 2 cents worth of my perspective ..
I would have preferred if DJI would have just not released the spark and offered the Mavic Air at a lower price..
Mavic Jr would have been a decent name since they seem to want to ride on success the of the mavic name..
Rumor has it, the MP2 will not have the Mavic name. What do think it should be named?:rolleyes:

Today I realized, for me, it's a "take me somewhere" drone. Here is a pic of my RC standing in my driveway. I cannot manage 600ft from the RC before this happens and it returns back to me.

C7Ifadp.jpg

Then I jumped in the car and went to a park that's just down the road and this is what I got from it. I'm a video beginner, so forgive the things that could be done better.
It's too bad I'll never be able to fly this around the house and record the area.

When flying at your house was there something between you and the Mavic Air?. Van, Truck, House, ...?

I think anything that folds will be called a mavic regardless if it’s WiFi or not. I think they use the mavic name to describe that it’s foldable.

I am with theharmonperspective on this. I know the first thing folks want to do is see how far it goes and in my experience, even with interference, it can go further than you can see it.

But to me, the big selling point over my previous P3P is portability. My boys and I enjoy hiking and I did take my P3P once, but it adds considerable bulk and weight. I was considering the MP, but when I laid eyes on the Air, I knew it was for me.

I honestly don't know how they consider it a mavic without lightbridge. My P3S was rock solid in terms of crash resistance and upgrades. It's downfall was the limited range..even with a $300 external antenna setup it cold only go a little over 2K feet

Because it folds it's a "Mavic". Wait do Mavics have light bridge as well as occusync?

The minute I realized the Air was Wifi only, I lost interest. I've flown my Mavic Pro in Wifi mode just for the sake of due diligence, but would never fly it that way for any other reason.
AIUI, the wifi is only the connection from the mobile device to the RC. The RC communicates with the drone in the same way as the Mavic Pro.

Today I realized, for me, it's a "take me somewhere" drone. Here is a pic of my RC standing in my driveway. I cannot manage 600ft from the RC before this happens and it returns back to me.

C7Ifadp.jpg

Then I jumped in the car and went to a park that's just down the road and this is what I got from it. I'm a video beginner, so forgive the things that could be done better.
It's too bad I'll never be able to fly this around the house and record the area.

The warning is telling you are going into class c air space witch you cant fly in without having permission from the airport. There
must be a good size airport near you

I also just noticed that your display shows that you were at 34 feet. If you get a bit higher you will notice a substantial increase in range.

Reactions: Anndybo
I've gone 2700' in my driveway in a full on neighborhood with tall 70-90 pine trees around.

What is up with ya'lls areas.

I also just noticed that your display shows that you were at 34 feet. If you get a bit higher you will notice a substantial increase in range.

Ha good call. Even lightbridge will drop out like that.

Yea don’t leave in auto ... I live in the middle of Cincinnati and use 5.8 in city and can literally fly until you lose sight ... (know your not supposed to) but just saying switch to 5.8 and you’ll be grand
Absolutely correct normally people think that 2.4 will go farther and have better distance which is true of theoretically but DJI has made there 5.8 band even stronger than 2.4 on the air 28 dbm vs 26.... this is why people get really good range on the 5.8 shoot the Phantom 4 Pro is like that and I have my best distance run on the 5.8.... so yeah by all means I say use 5.8.... when 2.4 is useless. Now this is for FCC where 5.8 is actually stronger. if u are ce or srrc it is literally halved :( so all of the 5.8 hulu just went out the window ;) so your better bet is to staying 2.4.

Also to the opp 34 feet is very low for any signal penetration, is there not trees in your neighborhood? Lol go up a hundred feet you will still have great video but I guarantee your image transmission will be way better. The only time you're going to stay at 30 feet is if you're literally a hundred feet away from the Drone!

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+