DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Music is Pure Garbage

Does The audio in drone videos bug you because it sucks or is too loud or is just distracting?

• Yes! It bothers me because or any number of reasons.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No, Ive never thought about it.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No, I think its GREAT and actually adds to my videos. Its PERFECT the way it is!

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
That wasn't the point of this thread, bully. It was to point out that both MINE and YOUR audio selections SUCK because of the copywritten protections, computer generated sounds, and lack of a complete knowledge of video editing. I didn't say anywhere that I could do better. I want the GD examples, too, you blowhard! jebus. QUIT being such a know-it-all.
You sure are mean to your mirror...

Well on occasions I do try to add more to the music. My last train video I dubbed in the train whistle. I was surprised at how well it over lapped my music choice. Perhaps my music choice is not something you like but hard to tell me a train does not have a train whistle :)

Well on occasions I do try to add more to the music. My last train video I dubbed in the train whistle. I was surprised at how well it over lapped my music choice. Perhaps my music choice is not something you like but hard to tell me a train does not have a train whistle :)
THIS^^^ is amazeballs! Awesome video. Nothing but praise here.

Reactions: Opi
Option 4: depends on the music and the video!

If the music bugs me I usually mute it. And I'm usually muting videos, but then music is a highly personal experience.

I've watched some great videos where the music was perfect, with the editing actually synchronized with the music so it seemed composed for the video.

OTOH, my musical tastes are decided not mainstream. Classical piano is fairly common, but Beijing opera and Mongolian metal are minority tastes!

(Mongolian folk metal. Very cool stuff!Thumbswayup)

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Nobody's stopping you from using copyrighted music in your drone videos.

Yes, Google might de-monetize the video, or worse, they might even put an advertisement on it if they think there's a big enough audience. But are we actually looking to earn a living from our drone videos on YouTube?

This video uses music from one of my favourite albums: "Hillbilly Jazz". Google didn't care. I don't care. Vassar Clements didn't care. In fact, he probably enjoys the publicity. Nobody cares.

Last edited:
Not this time anyway. But it's not always this easy. Some artists just don't allow unauthroized usage of their music. When a YT scan turns up one of those issues, your track gets muted.

Copyrights are not about someone else making money, or not. Copyrights are about unauthorized copies, and usage of the original material, or even derivative works. Just because some copyright owners choose not to exercize their rights to control rights violating works doesn't mean it's OK for anyone to use anything at any time. Rather the opposite.

Did you know that under US copyright laws you can't make a copy of a work and distribute it for free? Yup, you can't even give it away, it's in there, not free, not paid, not at all. But also, it's up to the rights owner or their agent to enforce their rights. YouTube enforces rights when they've been asked to do so, and they'll warn you if your video has a rights issue even if it's not being enforced....today. The uneven enforcement of copyrights has given rise to quite a lot of misunderstanding of the issue.

And you won't understand this until some of your own copyrighted material is used by someone else without permission. It's happened to me several times. It feels pretty nasty, and it took effort to stop it. I've had it happen with both photos and video. Once I shot a nice fireworks picture and submitted it to a local paper who ran it on page 1 to support a story about a fireworks accident. No problem, and they published a photo credit. But then, years later, my photo shows up on their web site in a marketing piece pitching new subscriptions! Nope, not OK. I sent them an invoice, and they took the photo down. I had the same thing happen when I shot a magazine cover, unauthroized usage years later. You don't understand this until you're on the other side.

Ok guys and gals get a handle on your comments! Be civil or this thread will bite the dust!

Well, other than a sense of ethics…

Rather than just assume that an artist 'doesn't care' that you've violated their copyright, you should ask. Maybe they don't care and 'enjoy the publicity' — but maybe they do care.

If they haven't released their music under a Creative Commons license, chances are that they do who uses it, and how.

Rather than just assume that an artist 'doesn't care' that you've violated their copyright, you should ask.
Mr. Clements died many years ago. That's why I said that he doesn't care.
I doubt that his estate cares about my cows video, either.

The fact that I'm also a musician informs my decisions in this regard. No harm, no foul, in other words. If I were making any money from my cows video, that'd be a different story altogether.

Well, other than a sense of ethics…

Rather than just assume that an artist 'doesn't care' that you've violated their copyright, you should ask. Maybe they don't care and 'enjoy the publicity' — but maybe they do care.

If they haven't released their music under a Creative Commons license, chances are that they do who uses it, and how.
Quick story about “you should ask”. I once had a client request a specific piece, And did attempt, at great length, to contact the artist for permission. The problem is, artist don’t necessarily own or control the rights to their music, many times it’s a record company, and unless you are a major Network or film company, they aren’t returning your call. On another occasion, I did actually get a response from the artist who gave permission, but then I couldn’t get it in writing. So we were again dead in the water. Otherwise, licensing agencies like ASCAP and BMI might handle licensing, but they (and today a bunch of 3rd party brokers) handle “needle-drop” licenses, and they’re only interested in the big guys.

As a result, your best bet is to buy production music specifically made for low cost licensing. We’ve used Music Bakery and others like them many times. It’s really easy, and all online.

The problem is, artist don’t necessarily own or control the rights to their music, many times it’s a record company, and unless you are a major Network or film company, they aren’t returning your call.
True.

Nina Paley, the woman who made the excellent Sita Sings the Blues, discovered that. She ended up crowd-funding the money to get a license so she could give the film away. Apparently it would have cost more in lawyers fees to renegotiate the standard contract than just go with the standard contract. Read the FAQ for more details.

Consider this a plug for the film, BTW. Excellent work, and the soundtrack was well worth the purchase price for me. (Free film, but Annette Hanshaw's songs are still in copyright so cost. Worth it — she had a great voice.) I rewatch this film every time one of my nieces gets dumped by a jerk boyfriend.

Asking is relatively easy. When Luthor Wright and the Wrongs asked Pink Floyd about recording a bluegrass version of The Wall, they got encouraged to do it. Sent them a sample song and got asked for the whole album. The result is pretty good:

Mr. Clements died many years ago. That's why I said that he doesn't care.
I doubt that his estate cares about my cows video, either.
Yeah, they probably don’t care. But, that’s a dangerous assumption. Many estates have come after unlicensed usage of deceased artist material. It’s a long way from unheard of.
The fact that I'm also a musician informs my decisions in this regard. No harm, no foul, in other words. If I were making any money from my cows video, that'd be a different story altogether.
Again, copyright violation is not just about making money or not. It’s about unauthorized usage and distribution of any kind. I appreciate that you are an artist also, but that factor really doesn’t have any impact on a rights violation case. Oddly, posting a music credit often does help because it shows respect, though it doesn’t change your legal position.

True.

Nina Paley, the woman who made the excellent Sita Sings the Blues, discovered that. She ended up crowd-funding the money to get a license so she could give the film away. Apparently it would have cost more in lawyers fees to renegotiate the standard contract than just go with the standard contract. Read the FAQ for more details.

Consider this a plug for the film, BTW. Excellent work, and the soundtrack was well worth the purchase price for me. (Free film, but Annette Hanshaw's songs are still in copyright so cost. Worth it — she had a great voice.) I rewatch this film every time one of my nieces gets dumped by a jerk boyfriend.

Asking is relatively easy. When Luthor Wright and the Wrongs asked Pink Floyd about recording a bluegrass version of The Wall, they got encouraged to do it. Sent them a sample song and got asked for the whole album. The result is pretty good:

That's a very unusual example. And it's for a different class of rights than using music in another medium, not really applicable to our usage in videos.

Mostly, asking used to be quite difficult, and you got no response at all. I don't recall the record company I had to go through, but when they got the scope of the film, I got blown off completely. It might be different now, that was a few years ago, and wasn't set up for doing the whole transaction online. Now you might be able to pull it off a bit easier since record companies have come to grips with making money from licensing users that might otherwise fly below the radar (drones do that, right?).

You can try googling "music licensing" of course, but I'm highly skeptical that the individual drone pilot is going to succeed.

I watch drone clips and listen to determine if the music fits the visuals so I can learn from others that do a good job in that respect. Some dub music they like rather than music that fits the video.
So I believe that it takes special skills to match compatible audio with video. Not everyone takes the time to focus on that aspect of showcasing their videos. Davinci Resolve has some interesting tools to work on audios that complement videos. Using narration to describe what is being seen is always appreciated.

Are people finding that while watching these awesome videos they are constantly annoyed by the horrible, terribly generic and devoid-of-talent background music in people's work?

The videos and the editing people do can shine with brilliance all the while having to turn down too loud and/or distracting crappy music They're either too loud or don't fit in my opinion with what I'm watching or just plain reek with amateur nonsense.

This is a poll but please comment or enlighten me how to find (at least) average background music or how you fwel about this.

Maybe the answer is to actually add the ambient outdoor sounds instead of "music" altogether? All I know is the "audio" I hear in about 99.9% of these videos really twists me up . lol
Yeah some of the music choices are like looking at OJ Simsons picture. Also Sux.

Yes, Google might de-monetize the video, or worse, they might even put an advertisement on it if they think there's a big enough audience. But are we actually looking to earn a living from our drone videos on YouTube?

This video uses music from one of my favourite albums: "Hillbilly Jazz". Google didn't care. I don't care. Vassar Clements didn't care. In fact, he probably enjoys the publicity. Nobody cares.

Vassar Clements – Hillbilly Jazz is now public domain what ever that means. Here are the album notes:
Flying Fish, 3320 North Halstead, Chicago, Ill. 60657.

D5: Public Domain

Issued with a photo-illustrated 20-page booklet titled "Hillbilly Jazz a background," by Rick Ulman and edited by Michael Melford. ©1974

Issued with an insert sheet - In Memorium Ellis Padgett - with a dedication by Vassar Clements.

Vassar Clements – Hillbilly Jazz is now public domain what ever that means. Here are the album notes:
Flying Fish, 3320 North Halstead, Chicago, Ill. 60657.

D5: Public Domain

Issued with a photo-illustrated 20-page booklet titled "Hillbilly Jazz a background," by Rick Ulman and edited by Michael Melford. ©1974

Issued with an insert sheet - In Memorium Ellis Padgett - with a dedication by Vassar Clements.
Excellent! Thanks for that, Opi. It's a great resource both for film makers and music lovers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa