DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The new SDK for the Mini 3 Pro is a game changer...

wrybread

Reactions
I'm guessing this has been disussed somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it... And I didn't see it mentioned on the DJI Subreddit. Anyway DJI finally released an SDK for the Mini 3 Pro that lets 3rd party developers add features. I just played around with Dronelink to make a map and it is indeed glorious. I used the method described here:

I'd post the map I made but it's of a friend's property, and it's windy now so I can't make another till tomorrow. But wow, I'm blown away. Here's a sample project that the guy in that video made.

The only issue I'm seeing with the maps is that, at least in Google Maps, Google restricts zoom level before it gets really interesting. I'm guessing that's because their satellite imagery can't handle a high level of zoom. Still playing around with other ways to view the map data. Guessing Google Earth will be interesting.

Map making is amazingly easy. I was able to outline an area that I want to map on my laptop, and the Dronelink software on my Android gizmo (doesn't work on iOS yet) connected to an N1 controller was then able to handle everything else. And for folks who don't have the N1 controller but want to do this stuff, I picked up my N1 off eBay for $34 shipped.

So many possibilities here. There's waypoint flight of course, which I've been really wanting. And I'm wondering if this also enables hyperlapse with multiple batteries? I'd love to be able to do multi day timelapses (fly up to a position and take the same shot once a day, or however often). And the mapping feature is next level.

Anyway, very very happy about this.

I'm guessing this has been disussed somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it... And I didn't see it mentioned on the DJI Subreddit. Anyway DJI finally released an SDK for the Mini 3 Pro that lets 3rd party developers add features. I just played around with Dronelink to make a map and it is indeed glorious. I used the method described here:

I'd post the map I made but it's of a friend's property, and it's windy now so I can't make another till tomorrow. But wow, I'm blown away. Here's a sample project that the guy in that video made.

The only issue I'm seeing with the maps is that, at least in Google Maps, Google restricts zoom level before it gets really interesting. I'm guessing that's because their satellite imagery can't handle a high level of zoom. Still playing around with other ways to view the map data. Guessing Google Earth will be interesting.

Map making is amazingly easy. I was able to outline an area that I want to map on my laptop, and the Dronelink software on my Android gizmo (doesn't work on iOS yet) connected to an N1 controller was then able to handle everything else. And for folks who don't have the N1 controller but want to do this stuff, I picked up my N1 off eBay for $34 shipped.

So many possibilities here. There's waypoint flight of course, which I've been really wanting. And I'm wondering if this also enables hyperlapse with multiple batteries? I'd love to be able to do multi day timelapses (fly up to a position and take the same shot once a day, or however often). And the mapping feature is next level.

Anyway, very very happy about this.
The guy in the video talking about the mini 3, not the mini 3 pro which is a different drone.

The guy in the video talking about the mini 3, not the mini 3 pro which is a different drone.

In this case they're pretty much the same drone. Neither drone was supported before this version of the SDK, and they both get identical new abilities from the SDK. And the SDK doesn't use any of the features that makes them different anyway.

On a sidenote (not talking to NightFlight here), the new SDK is still buggy, I gather because DJI needs to fix the crashes on their end. Using it works, but is still a bit of an adenture. Hopefully DJI releases an update soon since I've really been enjoying being able to do waypoint flight with my Mini 3 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightFlightAlright
How long does it take to fly a grid like the one in the video? How many batteries would you need for a typical mapping session?
I realize there are factors to consider like overall area to map.
Does the software calculate the time/ batteries needed when you make the plan?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne