DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The power of ND filters

Yep that's the only use for it. But my point is that nothing in your video had enough motion to actually benefit from the "shutter speed double of frame rate" choice.
Way too many people quote this as a "rule" without actually understanding it and when it matters. In most common aerial footage cases you don't need to care.

It's funny how ND filters are used in the Droning world. Slowing down shutter speeds to get 2x framerates to achieve motion blur in video. Lol and it works =)
We forget that ND filters were used for still photography to capture time in a still photo, majority of times with the movement of water. I'm still yet to get an Aerial still of a waterfall using the ND filter technique (need a darker ND 64+ filter and get the Mavic to stay very still for 1-3 seconds).
Hopefully the new consumer drone cameras won't have fixed apertures so we can manually adjust our shutter speeds for video and photos.
Not to mention gradient ND filters to tame bright skies. Yeah, NDs have been around a while.

I like using polar filters too. They do give the videos a distinct feel which is nice

Err you do realise that ND filters have no effect on overall exposure? And also no effect on colour saturation (they're neutral. the key is in the name)....

NDs are there purely to slow your shutter speed to a level where you can get it slow enough to not have choppy/jerky video, especially on areas of rapid movement. They don't do anything else.

Many of the "ND filters" available for the Mavic seem to have a clearly noticeable colour tint. They aren't neutral at all. Some are also polarizing. Take a look at the various Polar Pro filter with/without comparisons on YouTube.

Honestly, the effect from slowing the shutter speed (motion blur) is so minor that most people wouldn't buy the filters just for these.

There's nothing wrong with using colour filters, but I do not understand why these are sold as "ND".

But they do help with lowering shutter speeds which helps get rid of blow outs

I'm afraid that you're really lost on this one, my friend :eek:. Lower shutter speeds equal longer shutter openings and are more prone to blown out whites. This can be countered with adjustments to the ISO, but only to a point.

Reactions: szh
I don't get the hype about ND filters. Have better video without them. I used to think all the promotional talk was hired PolarPro agents hawking their product, but Oliver's comment above is fair.

I dont know. something is defo goodabiut nd filters. The sky would have looked a lot detailed in the tower video above with nd

Err you do realise that ND filters have no effect on overall exposure?

The 'no effect on overall exposure' is true but only if the camera exposure is set to auto. If you put a ND8 filter on your lens and your exposure is set to manual you are going to be dark--3 stops underexposed.

To keep the same exposure you need to slow your shutter down 3 stops. For instance from 1/250 to 1/30. (1/250-1/125-1/60-1/30) is 3 stops. This will maintain the same exposure as your original photo at 1/250 but give you the advantage of a slower shutter speed to smooth out video.

Of course as gnirtS says if you are set to auto exposure you don't really have to worry about this because the camera will do it automatically...

No they don't. ND filters have absolutely no effect on dynamic range at all. You simply don't understand exposure.

What i SUSPECT you're thinking is if you force lock your shutter speed to a specific setting then if theres too much light an ND will drop it down to a level where the image might be exposed more correctly. But thats a totally different thing to getting rid of blow outs. NDs are now specific, they block shadows, highlights and midtones equally. They have no effect on dynamic range or contrast.

Reactions: Kilrah
I don't get the hype about ND filters. Have better video without them. I used to think all the promotional talk was hired PolarPro agents hawking their product, but Oliver's comment above is fair.

They're a very useful tool for a specific job. But generally most mavic users tend to know almost nothing about photography and think they're do something totally different or a fix-everything solution.
Its quite simply, for VIDEO ONLY, if you have too much light a correct exposure is going to require a fast shutter speed. What video requires to look good to the eye is a slight blurring of moving objects from one frame to the next to it doesnt appear jerky. An ND filter if picked correctly reduces light so a lower shutter speed can be used so that some motion blur can be introduced.

This is only going to be useful for certain types of video - ones with movement. If you have a fairly static scene without much movement chances are you wont notice any difference at all if you use a fast shutter speed or a ND enabled slower shutter. However, if you have a scene with lots of motion such as flying low, chasing an object and so on then you will notice clear choppiness if the shutter speed is too high.
So, NDs are useful if its bright and the scene has a fair bit of motion in. Static scenes not so much.

For photos from a mavic perspective they're useless and actually detrimental. A photo generally you want crisp and sharp, you dont WANT motion blur or smudged details so you want that shutter speed as high as possible. An ND picked for the "correct" shutter speed for video, used on a photo will blur motion on that image creating a soft image which isnt the desired effect. This is also why taking a still from a video is unlikely to ever be as good as taking a photo of the same thing (even ignoring raw vs heavily compressed jpg etc).
Yes you can get around the blur by increasing the ISO but that the increases image noise reducing the quality.

Yes with land based camera you go for dreamy water effects and so on - even with an adjustable aperture to help reduce light those still require in the region of 10 stops (ND1000 to put it in perspective) to get the shutter speed in the region of 5 to 30 seconds. No such filter exists for the mavic (and you'd need even stronger due to the fixed aperture) and even if it did there is no way the little drone would stay stable enough for a multiple second photo to produce a clean image.

So in summary:-
(i) NDs are useful for VIDEO where there is motion in the scene
(ii) NDs are not that useful but also not really detrimental for VIDEO where there is no motion in the scene so may as well leave them on
(iii) NDs are detrimental and will degrade image quality for PHOTOS and should not be used.

Things they don't do at all:-
(i) selectively change balance of shadows or highlights
(ii) improve contrast
(iii) change the dynamic range of an image
(iv) improve detail

Im not sure guys. Nd filters r u must i think. Pl filters r great too. Must have

Im not sure guys. Nd filters r u must i think. Pl filters r great too. Must have

For what reason?
Especially polarised. Pretty much nobody carefully aligns them when fitting before a flight then takes a photo at that exact same angle in the air. Very very few.
Most people stick one on without having a clue what it does, why its there or how they're meant to use it.

Reactions: CamoGreg
For what reason?
Especially polarised. Pretty much nobody carefully aligns them when fitting before a flight then takes a photo at that exact same angle in the air. Very very few.
Most people stick one on without having a clue what it does, why its there or how they're meant to use it.

That's why I located mine by hand and marked the high spot.
For those interested PL's have max effect at 90 degrees to the sun.
So pick a time in midmorning or afternoon when the sun isn't right overhead and look thru the filter 90 degrees to the sun.
Rotate the filter looking at the sky and mark on top of the filter where the sky is darkest.
FYI all of my PolarPros were located with the word PolarPro at top.

Yes thats how I use pl filters. Rotate till needed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife