DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Statue of Liberty with my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You already know the rules for hobbyists. What JROK is talking about is for Part 107 Pilots. The hobbyiest rules are much simpler. Just abide by them. It sucks that you live in a highly-populated area where you probably can't fly due to all of the heliports, but just don't fly there. Honestly, it would probably get pretty boring flying outside your place anyway. Take your Mavic other places to fly. Usually, the less populated areas are the most fun to fly and the most picturesque.

I am in NJ too and at least around here every town has at least one heliport. At least every hospital and police station. There is no avoiding being within 5 miles of something.

I launched from NJ. It was about a mile to her. There is a park there right across the water, but they banned drones so you cannot take off or land from there.

You can see your drone when it's a mile or more away? I have a hard time seeing mine more than 1,000 feet away from me.

It is a National Park. It is not a NFZ. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked all of the sectional charts. It's Class G airspace up to 700 AGL. The rules for National Parks are only that you cannot take off or land from within. You can fly over because the National Park Service does not have jurisdiction over the airspace.
I believe you are correct, as long as you're not within 5 miles of an airport, at which case you just need to inform them, otherwise, every airplane that flew over it would have a problem. Great video by the way! How far did your mavic have to travel, any weak signal warnings?

No it looks like he took off from across the water so they couldn't do anything, however if he crashed and he registered his drone they would find him and probably give him a huge fine and maybe jail time. I wouldn't doubt the park rangers on the ground were probably freaking out.

The ignorance of this statement is unbelievable. If a pilot of a manned aircraft accidentally crashed, he wouldn't get a fine or jail time, he would get assistance. Why do you think it would be any different for any an unmanned aircraft? Read your rules, fly right and you will be treated right. Nice video, and good job getting in and out without incident.

The ignorance of this statement is unbelievable. If a pilot of a manned aircraft accidentally crashed, he wouldn't get a fine or jail time, he would get assistance. Why do you think it would be any different for any an unmanned aircraft? Read your rules, fly right and you will be treated right. Nice video, and good job getting in and out without incident.

You are hilarious. Assistance? They are using Reckless Endangerment charges, which is a gross misdemeanor. The pilot who crashed a drone into the Seattle Space Needle is looking at this possible charge.

This person was just sentenced to jail over it:
Seattle drone pilot gets jail time as FAA reports increase in possible collisions

Do YOUR homework before you come on forums and mock people.

It appears that a commercial certification would be a hassle reducer. These heliports and mom-and-pop airfields are a ridiculous burden for us hobbyists. The people there don't even know what we are talking about when we call, or they just bark "FAA law bans all drones within 5 miles!" and hang up. This literally happened to me and it took a series of calls to sort it out and educate them. It's hardly worth the bother, so I just fly outside the circles now. What do you think? Are there cons to the commercial certification?

I think there is more hassle for commercial Part 107. Here are my reasons:

1. NO flying at all inside B,C,D or surface E airspace without a waiver (takes up to 90 days). For me that means anything within 5 miles of the PDX (Portland Airport) - which is the majority of Portland, Oregon & Vancouver, WA. Here's the crappy part - there's a "surface Class E" that extends past the surface class C that's about 5 miles wide & extends about 6 more miles north over mostly mountainous & very low populated areas. This kills any commercial flying (real estate shots) for 75% of my city.
2. NO Flying at night without a waiver. (90 days?)...

For recreational flights - you can fly inside class B,C,D or E with just asking - as long as they don't deny - and you only have to "notify" small airports (most numbers are disconnected or don't answer).
Also, recreational can fly at night.

Why is it that someone who has done all the testing, knows airspace, is subject to MORE restrictions? That's opposite of the way it is with manned aircraft (I'm also a commercial pilot - manned)...

It's good to know that the pilot of the Statue video did his research. I personally wouldn't have done it because if I get nailed for something drone-related, it's likely the FAA would come after my real job license (ATP).

I believe you are correct, as long as you're not within 5 miles of an airport, at which case you just need to inform them, otherwise, every airplane that flew over it would have a problem. Great video by the way! How far did your mavic have to travel, any weak signal warnings?

The five mile rule is for hobbyists. Part 107 pilots fly according to airspace. No weak signal warnings. Probably because I was out over the water with nothing in between me and the drone.

You are hilarious. Assistance? They are using Reckless Endangerment charges, which is a gross misdemeanor. The pilot who crashed a drone into the Seattle Space Needle is looking at this possible charge.

This person was just sentenced to jail over it:
Seattle drone pilot gets jail time as FAA reports increase in possible collisions

Do YOUR homework before you come on forums and mock people.

Yah, read your own article, he injured two people, he was operating in violation of FAA, regs, and you sir are the mocker ; )

Yah, read your own article, he injured two people, he was operating in violation of FAA, regs, and you sir are the mocker ; )

I'm not mocking anyone. You were the one that came into the thread saying things like "What he meant to say is "I'm so jealous I don't have the intelligence or balls to do what you did, great video ".

^^^That is the mocking I was referencing.

This person was not charged with violating any FAA regs. His drone crashed, which then hit the people. He was charged for that, not for any FAA violations. Attitudes like yours, sort of "have balls, be a cowboy, etc." are going to cause more problems for our hobby.

Your comparison to a commercial pilot getting assistance was simply ludicrous. These are flying cameras/toys, and should be regulated as such. We are not "pilots", regardless of how some people may feel, or what the current FAA law is. I at least have the sense to recognize that my actions affect other people, and affect the perception of this hobby.

Get over it. It's a toy, bro.

Reactions: Kestrel
I'm not mocking anyone. You were the one that came into the thread saying things like "What he meant to say is "I'm so jealous I don't have the intelligence or balls to do what you did, great video ".

^^^That is the mocking I was referencing.

This person was not charged with violating any FAA regs. His drone crashed, which then hit the people. He was charged for that, not for any FAA violations. Attitudes like yours, sort of "have balls, be a cowboy, etc." are going to cause more problems for our hobby.

Your comparison to a commercial pilot getting assistance was simply ludicrous. These are flying cameras/toys, and should be regulated as such. We are not "pilots", regardless of how some people may feel, or what the current FAA law is. I at least have the sense to recognize that my actions affect other people, and affect the perception of this hobby.

Get over it. It's a toy, bro.

Your talking out of both sides of your mouth. When an aircraft crashed, and there are violations. The pilot will be held accountable. And I strongly disagree, it stopped being a toy when it was registered and fell under FAA regs.

You need to get over yourself and quit trying to be the drone police. The originator of this thread did a good job on the video, and was responsible. He didn't cause harm to others as your ridiculous comparison article suggests.

Nuff said.

Your talking out of both sides of your mouth. When an aircraft crashed, and there are violations. The pilot will be held accountable. And I strongly disagree, it stopped being a toy when it was registered and fell under FAA regs.

You need to get over yourself and quit trying to be the drone police. The originator of this thread did a good job on the video, and was responsible. He didn't cause harm to others as your ridiculous comparison article suggests.

Nuff said.

LOL. I'm not being drone police. I'm participating in a discussion which had aspects of how this hobby is perceived in general. I don't know whether the flight was legal or not. Lots of things are legal and stupid at the same time.

My reference to "toy" was because some folks on these forums seem to like to play "pilot". This is a MODEL aircraft, not an actual airplane. Most of us are just hobbyists.

Well yes at the surface.... but there are instances (part 107) where you could legally be filming at 700 feet agl which could be glass E airspace above the class G. This is why it is best to understand you need ATC for B,C,D and E when the class E airspace touches the ground.

For instance if you are filming a 600 foot (AGL) tower in an area where class E starts at 700 feet. When you are within 400 feet of the tower you could legally be at 1000 feet AGL. That would place your bird clearly in Class E airspace. Under these circumstances no ATC authorization would be required. Of course the other limitations still apply... VLOS, not over people.

Most of what you said is true - except: "That would place your bird clearly in Class E airspace. Under these circumstances no ATC authorization would be required. Of course the other limitations still apply.."(False).

True: if within 400' of a structure, you can go higher than the 400' limit of part 107.51(b). (Doesn't give authority for airspace however) .

Your second part about not obtaining authorization from ATC is not correct.
If you are within Class E - no matter how close to a structure - you're still in Class E and must apply for an airspace waiver (107.41 – Operation in certain airspace). Airspace is airspace. The surface of the building is touching airspace. The exception to the rule is only for the max altitude rule (part 107.51(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft..)

Of course, this only applies to commercial ops...which the statue vid isn't (that we know of)..

LOL. I'm not being drone police. I'm participating in a discussion which had aspects of how this hobby is perceived in general. I don't know whether the flight was legal or not. Lots of things are legal and stupid at the same time.

My reference to "toy" was because some folks on these forums seem to like to play "pilot". This is a MODEL aircraft, not an actual airplane. Most of us are just hobbyists.

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I've just read too many posts by people policing or looking for problems with someone's beautiful videography. The mavic pro is a professional tool for videographers and hobbyists alike.

I don't know any children who will be getting this under the tree. But, hey, this is America, you have the freedom to post what ever you like.

I'm sure when you fly, you try to obey all the laws and reg in your area, I do as well. So happy flying.

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I've just read too many posts by people policing or looking for problems with someone's beautiful videography. The mavic pro is a professional tool for videographers and hobbyists alike.

I don't know any children who will be getting this under the tree. But, hey, this is America, you have the freedom to post what ever you like.

I'm sure when you fly, you try to obey all the laws and reg in your area, I do as well. So happy flying.

Same to you! I'm sorry if I came off jerky at all. You're right. This is an expensive piece of equipment. I know first hand, as I paid $1750 for mine when they were hard to come by. I need a new one now, but I got my money's worth while it still was in one piece.

Have fun and happy flying.

Reactions: FLwaverunner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun