DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Statue of Liberty with my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my drones, but I am also an avid visitor of national parks, and am an outdoorsman.

Nobody wants to see drones flying around the splendor of the scenery. Nobody wants to hear what sounds like an angry nest of bees while contemplating the beauty of a backcountry lake. Nobody wants the ecosystem damaged or littered by crashed drones that cannot be safely retrieved without imperiling the retrievers.

In short, as much as I'd like a drone video of my upcoming King's Canyon backpacking adventures, or as much as I would love aerial shots of the Grand Prismatic spring in Yellowstone, I also don't want to see drones there. Sorry.

Some moron already crashed a drone in Grand Prismatic. There was concern that the dissolution of it could upset the fragile balance that keeps the bacteria alive which create the colors. Luckily, this did not happen. Not a week ago, another moron caused an elk stampede with a drone at the national preserve outside of Jackson, Wyoming. The animals there are under enough stress because of habitat destruction and the gradual cordoning and blocking of their normal wintering land. They don't need to be bothered by drones.

Hopefully this illustrates why NPS has a generally unfavorable view of this activity.

Regards,
cardplayer71

By outright forbidding flights the system actually forces you to break the law. If a more sensible approach to it like for example time slice set aside for drone pilot to enjoy the parks in their own way then there would be no problems. Drone pilots pay taxes to keep up the parks too.

Well, i may not be very knowledgeable, but i can Google, and i can read charts, even if some Google's help is required first. I've looked at the sectional chart later on. I am, indeed, on the very edge of Teterboro class D. I know abour airmap now, and it show that as well, giving no phone number either, so the only way to contact and tell them would be getting a VHF radio and talking on the ATC frequency (sounds like a BAD IDEA). I have yet to find out if one really needs to notify the heliports or not, Google have a major issue of split perosnality here. There is absolutely no way to find a place without a heliport/pod in 5miles radius, unelss its a national park, which are forbidden to fly in (which, by itself was a boomer).

You're really over complicating the issue. Just stick to the rules pertaining to hobbyist that you cited in your original post (5 miles from an airport, under 400', etc.) and you'll be fine. Yes, that may mean you can't fly where you live, but so what? Drive somewhere that will have something good to film, and bring your Mavic. You'll get better shots anyway, and you won't have to worry about breaking the law. The stuff around your house is probably boring anyway. I rarely ever fly from my yard because there's nothing cool to film. Travel with your Mavic. If you are going on a business trip or vacation, bring your Mavic. You'll get way better shots.

@kodiak1120, do you have any thoughts on flying within VLOS and not flying over people that aren't part of your operation? I was always under the assumption that Part 107 certified pilots had to follow those rules too.

I think it is as complex and screwed up as it is ever gonna get. There is a time where the regulation is well just too much. He flew a perfect flight got great shots and did not endanger anyone. The risk was his to loose a drone and $1400. The list of regulatory agency you mentioned having a say is absolutely asinine. It does not make it safer by a long stretch. I am not saying we don't need regulation, we need sensible regulation that respect the freedom of a competent drone pilot to enjoy a public landmark.

For the record, it was legal. JROK's analysis is wrong (see all of the posts above). I do think the ban on flying from within a NP is a bit ridiculous, since drones are hardly even noticeable +200' feet up and are way less intrusive than helicopters, which fly all around NPs. Also, NPs are probably some of the safest places to fly since they are very sparsely populated. This was nothing more than a knee-jerk, overreaction by the government to a problem that didn't even exist. I visited NPs before the ban and I never saw even a single drone flying around. It's not like people's vacations were ruined because drones were buzzing all around, lol.

@kodiak1120, do you have any thoughts on flying within VLOS and not flying over people that aren't part of your operation? I was always under the assumption that Part 107 certified pilots had to follow those rules too.

Yes, Part 107 pilots have to follow those rules too. The VLOS requirement is probably the only part of my flight that you could argue I perhaps maybe pushed the boundaries of, since I was pretty far from where I took off and although my Mavic was capable of being in my VLOS, it was pretty far away. But keep in mind that 95% of the flight was over water, so I think that requirement is less important than if I was flying over a densely populated neighborhood.

So just launch from your vehicle and not the ground. LOL

I break so many rules flying my Drone and I'm wondering when I will come back to me.. This footage is awesome man. Don't let anyone see you launch and you should be fine.

Reactions: rigor
Completely love the vid. I've got my 107 cert. and I'm wondering if / how you got the waiver to fly over people? I'd like to get the waiver as well, but I wondering what type of argument convinces the FAA.

Completely love the vid. I've got my 107 cert. and I'm wondering if / how you got the waiver to fly over people? I'd like to get the waiver as well, but I wondering what type of argument convinces the FAA.
I agree, vlos and un-involved people = problem.

Awesome video, I live in Staten Island and I pass the lady every day on the S.I. ferry going to work.

Awesome video! Personally I wouldn't post it on Youtube or Vemo or even here. That's one for your private Plex server to be shared only with friends and family. Who needs the hassle of some jealous fool calling the Drone Police on you?

By the way, I'm glad you did your flight before they jack hammered off that out of date plaque. You know.. the one that says "send us your huddled masses yearning to be free". :)

Great video, thanks for sharing! WOW.

It doesn't really matter what we think about your video being legal or not... you can guarantee this has gotten attention and someone within a government agency is going to be reviewing the legality of your flight and IF they can do something about it, they will. Period. It sounds like you are an educated pilot and have your ducks in a row and are ready to argue your position if questioned. You'll probably find out IF you're wrong.

Why do I say this? They have gone after people for flying in national forests and other places far less interesting than the Statue of Liberty, and you can bet your lunch there is a Park Ranger/Federal/State Officer assessing this flight.

That was an excellent flight with jaw dropping angles! Bravo! I am not sure I would be brave enough to to do what you did!

Reactions: kodiak1120
That is some great video you have there. Regardless of how you shot it, where you landed and took off, BLAH BLHA BLHA. You used a new toy to get great video and noone was hurt . Ignore the dronepolice (haters who are not creative enough to get what you did.)

Reactions: kodiak1120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok