DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Tax Man is coming for you!

aringhof

Reactions
I purchased my Mavic Pro directly from DJI one year ago (February 2017). Like a good boy, I registered my drone with the FAA and even got an N-Number assigned since I read that was necessary when taking it overseas. I use the drone as a hobby to take photos when our family is on vacation. It is not used for any businesses whatsoever.

Well fast forward one year... I received a letter from the Florida Department of Revenue staying I have an “aircraft” where taxes were not paid. In other words, some career bureaucrat compared FEDERAL FAA records with STATE tax records. I figured they were doing this to make sure people pay sales and tangible property taxes on their corporate jets.... so to prove I had a drone, I sent them the DJI receipt showing I paid $1,299 for the Mavic Pro, the carrying case, extra battery, wall charger and other accessories. The revenue investigator calls me back within five minutes of sending him the information and says he noticed DJI didnt charge me sales tax when I bought it. So I now owe the state $78 in SALES TAX and an additional $15 in interest on the missing sales tax... he and I then discuss the ridiculousness of expecting people to self-report items they purchase online where sales tax was not charged.

Moral of the story: Stay off the grid whenever possible. They will come after drone owners who buy directly from DJI to get their taxes. Feel free to mock and laugh at anyone who replies to this post that says they actually self-report everything they buy online. Spare me your moral righteousness. :).

Last edited:
Hmm.. that is interesting.

Sucks!!!

I live relatively close to the US/Mexican border, and after the US Customs checkpoint upon entering the US by vehicle, there is a State of Texas booth sitting all alone. The Feds will tell you that if you bring alcohol into the US, that you have to stop at the Texas booth to pay taxes on it. I shouldn't have to tell you that the booth gets little traffic.

Reactions: aringhof
Sucks!!!

I live relatively close to the US/Mexican border, and after the US Customs checkpoint upon entering the US by vehicle, there is a State of Texas booth sitting all alone. The Feds will tell you that if you bring alcohol into the US, that you have to stop at the Texas booth to pay taxes on it. I shouldn't have to tell you that the booth gets little traffic.

Alcohol and cigarettes i get because those things are disproportionately taxed at higher rates than pure “sales tax”. My mistake was trying to be too helpful to clear my “audit”. I should have just sent him proof of it being a drone (my FAA certificate for example) and not my sales receipt. That’s would put the burden on THEM to prove I didnt pay sales tax, rather than disclosing it up front. In hindsight, that was really stupid to be helpful. I’ll never do that again.

I purchased my Mavic Pro directly from DJI one year ago (February 2017). Like a good boy, I registered my drone with the FAA and even got an N-Number assigned since I read that was necessary when taking it overseas. I use the drone as a hobby to take photos when our family is on vacation. It is not used for any businesses whatsoever.

Well fast forward one year... I received a letter from the Florida Department of Revenue staying I have an “aircraft” where taxes were not paid. In other words, some career bureaucrat compared FEDERAL FAA records with STATE tax records. I figured they were doing this to make sure people pay sales and tangible property taxes on their corporate jets.... so to prove I had a drone, I sent them the DJI receipt showing I paid $1,299 for the Mavic Pro, the carrying case, extra battery, wall charger and other accessories. The revenue investigator calls me back within five minutes of sending him the information and says he noticed DJI didnt charge me sales tax when I bought it. So I now owe the state $78 in SALES TAX and an additional $15 in interest on the missing sales tax... he and I then discuss the ridiculousness of expecting people to self-report items they purchase online where sales tax was not charged.

Moral of the story: Stay off the grid whenever possible. They will come after drone owners who buy directly from DJI to get their taxes. Feel free to mock and laugh at anyone who replies to this post that says they actually self-report everything they buy online. Spare me your moral righteousness. :).

From reading your post it seems you registered your drone as an "airplane" if you got an "N" number. You should have registered yourself, received one number and no further issues.

EDIT: Missed the part about you going overseas

Reactions: Alky1229
I had read you should get an N number to take the drone in other countries. We went to Iceland and I wanted to be sure I didnt get jammed up overseas , so I did the N number thing. It shouldn’t have mattered either way. Now Im reading this court case says we dont have to register drones at all anymore? I havent been on this forum in a while to see whats been discussed about this:

Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA

Reactions: sappercap
I had read you should get an N number to take the drone in other countries. We went to Iceland and I wanted to be sure I didnt get jammed up overseas , so I did the N number thing. It shouldn’t have mattered either way. Now Im reading this court case says we dont have to register drones at all anymore? I havent been on this forum in a while to see whats been discussed about this:

I don't know where you read you needed an N number for hobbyist activities. I just went to Coata Rica, registered my drone with their aviation authority and had no issues. If you were a commercial operator with a 333 exemption, I would see that being applicable. As far as current registration - the original requirement got challenged and defeated in court last summer, HOWEVER the requirement was reinstated last December. As a hobbyist you register your self and the number you are given can be used on multiple aircraft.

Getting a Drone for the Holidays? You'll Have to Register It With the FAA

That's no longer valid, as Congress changed the rules making registration a requirement again.

US once again requires that you register your drone

It sounds like you're dealing with a bureaucratic idiot. I had a similar problem in California when I bought a scrapped airplane for parts. I had to show photos and even turned in the data plate to prove the aircraft didn't exist anymore. It seems Florida is penalizing you for making a mail-order purchase

Reactions: ftttu
I may be missing something here, but I just double checked on the DJI store and it says that tax is included in the price?!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying