DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The truth about the Countering CCP Drone Act

GrayHornet

Reactions
Points about the article
Truth 2 "and DJI sends a brick command to all of their drones. Your drone would still need to be connected to the internet to receive that command." that is sort of true ...... but .......
The fly app needs to connect to the internet occasionally to either prevent a log out or to log in after the log out. If a "brick" command is passed on to the fly app during this connection then, when the app is 'next connected' to whatever, that command might may be passed on to either the drone or the controller and bricking the controller would ground the drone.
I would think it is unlikely to happen but given you [insert word/s] ..............................

One, or more, questions, has anyone with good to very good radio knowledge actually stuck a drone, controller and the app in a lab and monitored what signals they send out at all stages of their operation ?
Have the [insert words] done that ??????????????????

A numpty like me can think of two major groups of signals, control and the FCC caused RID.
The former is, as far as I am aware, fairly short range and possibly directional due to lobes.
RID I have no idea about.
Other than that, wifi communication from whatever hosts the app is, apart from the login stuff, at our discretion .... isn't it ?
Or are the [insert words] suggesting that something is either broadcasting in secret or piggy-backing on a legitimate signal .... if the latter, to what are they transmitting the signal ?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing my article.

Thanks for sharing my article.
I received it from retired Air Force F-15 pilot Captain who teaches Pt 107 course in Nevada. He gave a summary of it and properly attributed his source with the link.
Well written. Thank you kindly.

• Love
Reactions: Vic Moss
Points about the article
Truth 2 "and DJI sends a brick command to all of their drones. Your drone would still need to be connected to the internet to receive that command." that is sort of true ...... but .......
The fly app needs to connect to the internet occasionally to either prevent a log out or to log in after the log out. If a "brick" command is passed on to the fly app during this connection then, when the app is 'next connected' to whatever, that command might may be passed on to either the drone or the controller and bricking the controller would ground the drone.
I would think it is unlikely to happen but given you [insert word/s] ..............................
This is always a possibility, regardless of manufacturer. However, as mentioned, if the level of escalation that would predicate this was reached, our drones would be the least of the problems in grand scheme of things.
One, or more, questions, has anyone with good to very good radio knowledge actually stuck a drone, controller and the app in a lab and monitored what signals they send out at all stages of their operation ?
Have the [insert words] done that ??????????????????
Some companies have done testing. You'd have to search them out. To date, every test done has proven safe. Even one my DOD and one by DOI.
A numpty like me can think of two major groups of signals, control and the FCC caused RID.
The former is, as far as I am aware, fairly short range and possibly directional due to lobes.
RID I have no idea about.
RID is a one way signal of either wifi or bluetooth. Very short range. And that wasn't an FCC thing, that was a DHS/Congress thing
Other than that, wifi communication from whatever hosts the app is, apart from the login stuff, at our discretion .... isn't it ?
Or are the [insert words] suggesting that something is either braodcasting in secret or piggy-backing on a 'legitimate' signal .... if the latter, to what are they transmitting the signal ?

REALLY good article. Thanks for writing it @Vic Moss. I sincerely hope there isn't any last minute 'while-we're-at-it' changes to the language or tactics. I like flying my drone.

REALLY good article. Thanks for writing it @Vic Moss. I sincerely hope there isn't any last minute 'while-we're-at-it' changes to the language or tactics. I like flying my drone.
I'll update my article as I find out more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pepelapugh