DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The weak link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, where did anyone from DJI or even an affiliate party refer to the Mavic Mini as a Spark replacement or update? MM is a new model. DJI may yet release an updated Spark with smaller Tello like form factor and Osmo Action like software stabilization further reducing weight. We don’t know, but please keep being definitive.
Because that’s what it is. It doesn’t matter what it’s called. A Yukon and a Tahoe are the same thing no matter what they are called.

You think you would need a seperate ocusync unit? Why? That would be a great example of bad engineering. Have a look at any of the ocusync equipped phantoms or mavics and you will understand. While your at it look at the specifications, compare the max tx power for the mini and an ocusync bird. Additional power consumption and heat would be of no significance. The answer is you don’t put your best tech and features in your cheapest products. That would be silly for obvious reasons.
No, I don’t think you’ll need a separate unit, but that doesn’t negate the fact it would require more components. I’ll take the word of the DJI engineer (whom I know personally) over a stranger online, plus my own knowledge. You’re thinking the OS unit doesn’t require extra power or generate extra heat .

Last edited by a moderator:
I do find it odd that they include prop guards. Marketing as a beginner toy? As I said the wifi is the issue and not for control, but for video. DJI wifi video transmission already has poor latency and range compared to Occusync and analog FPV options. Add home/business wifi interference and your image is trash at range for those confined spaces with slow precise flying. Maybe the sensors save you. If you’ve been using these DJI products and following their tech progression, it’s just MM seems a transitional product away from larger consumer drones and not the defining products that MP and M2 have been imho.
for me the prop guards are there purely for safety as there are no sensors to prevent contact like the bigger mavs,and also to protect the drone from damage ,or damaging someone or something

No, I don’t think you’ll need a separate unit, but that doesn’t negate the fact it would require more components. I’ll take the word of the DJI engineer (whom I know personally) over a stranger online, plus my own knowledge. You’re thinking the OS unit doesn’t require extra power or generate extra heat tells me how little you know.
Yes I'm just a stranger on line with a legitimate interest in how these things work and what is possible. I suspect we are alike in that regard. You made a claim- it doest seem to fit what is known about the technology so I ask questions. Im interested in facts. Opinions are great also but should be qualified as such.

You keep going back to a power and weight constraint. What might you expect the "OS unit" to be? Wifi or occusync there will be similar hardware. Both will require an Mpeg stream to downlink so no difference of significance there. Both schemes will require a radio chip and an RF amplifier. Tx frequencies and power are set at the same limits so your argument for needing a bigger battery almost certainly has no merit. What sort of weight increase or available space do you expect for the same or substantially similar parts count? Have a look at the radio on a Mavic 2 as an example. No fancy heatsinking. We probably don't have a heat problem either.

The magic of ocusync and Lightbridge before it isn't battery draining bulky chassis bending heatsink melting TX power. It is the transmission protocol. If you are interested in these things have a look at the wifibroadcast protocol and how it was applied to an open source FPV project using a standard wifi chipset in promiscuous mode. No increase in TX power but close to Lightbridge performance using off the shelf hardware.

Again, where did anyone from DJI or even an affiliate party refer to the Mavic Mini as a Spark replacement or update? MM is a new model. DJI may yet release an updated Spark with smaller Tello like form factor and Osmo Action like software stabilization further reducing weight. We don’t know, but please keep being definitive.
They may also release a Spark Pro with 6K camera and a 5 axis gimbal with 3 hours of flight time that fits in your back pocket. Mavic Mini is the Spark replacement. It’s a miniaturized Mavic at the Spark price point. Anyone who understands marketing and product price points can clearly see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shon
It's a weight issue too. OcuSync, and mainly the high 100mbps video write speeds takes more weight to cool the chips. And anything with OcuSync will have ADB-S support, weighing more, which I consider a junk feature I don't want and will never use, and I'll pay the weight and flight time penalty too. I'm hoping for a 350G weight MMPro with only the stuff I want, which is OcuSync2 and 100mbps write speed.
Sounds like you’re talking about a Mavic Air 2

It doesn’t matter what it’s called.

Anyone who understands marking and product price points can clearly see that.

Apologies, you are a marketing genius.

Mavic Mini is the Spark replacement. It’s a miniaturized Mavic at the Spark price point.

So is it a miniaturized Mavic or the Spark replacement? Funny how your Spark replacement loses features and sensors of its predecessor.

One thing nobody is mentioning is that it has zero obstacle avoidance, at least the spark head forward obstacle avoidance,,, Dealbreaker for me

Reactions: PAW
Apologies, you are a marketing genius.

So is it a miniaturized Mavic or the Spark replacement? Funny how your Spark replacement loses features and sensors of its predecessor.
It’s a miniaturized Mavic and the Spark replacement. It’s the logical entry level DJI drone. It falls below the Air and does essentially everything the Spark did with a better camera. You can’t even buy a Spark from DJI anymore.

And

And then there’s this
And then there’s this. But please, please, keep up your definitives and impeccable sourcing. Shoot from the hip again? Wanna take another crack at no gesture control, obstacle avoidance, fewer quick shot modes, 2S LiOn batt vs 3S LiPo? But it’s just a name. Do you wanna cite your DJI engineer friend too? MM is a new model in the Mavic series.

Attachments

• 5B07838F-86DC-49F9-A1E0-48B97D0F0C80.jpeg
    5B07838F-86DC-49F9-A1E0-48B97D0F0C80.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 21
Boom... lol.
You’re both 10-15 years to early for this Baby Boomer defend yourself position at all costs bs. Just drop the definitives as there are plausible strategies and arguments for each.

And then there’s this. But please, please, keep up your definitives and impeccable sourcing. Shoot from the hip again? Wanna take another crack at no gesture control, obstacle avoidance, fewer quick shot modes, 2S LiOn batt vs 3S LiPo? But it’s just a name. Do you wanna cite your DJI engineer friend too? MM is a new model in the Mavic series.

DJI Forum, really? Come on your better then that...

You’re both 10-15 years to early for this Baby Boomer defend yourself position at all costs bs. Just drop the definitives as there are plausible strategies and arguments for each.
You mad bro?

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with I’m right and you’re arguing for no apparent reason other than you like to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat