DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The wildest things you ever spotted from the air

Skydivers drop drift indicators???
View attachment 71905

Bingo, I think you are right: Wind Drift Indicator - A device used to determine the wind drift, which a descending parachute will experience, so constructed as to descend at a rate comparable to a skydiver of average weight descending under a fully deployed main canopy of average specifications.

Usually a weighted strip of crepe paper 10 inches wide and 20 feet long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandaloo
Not from a drone, but about 2 years ago I was flying in the winchester area and started seeing some small streaks pass vericaly in front of me dropping quite fast, the nearest thing I could compare them to is small strips of fly-paper with a weight on them so they dropped like streamers saw dozens of them dropping from under an overcast cloud cover at about 3000 ft, to this day I have never found out what they were and would be interested if anyone had any ideas?????

Winchester, CA? It’s next to Lake Elsinore and Perris - both are very popular sky jumping areas so I bet Simmo is exactly right.

Reactions: Simmo
I found six/eight tiles on my roof that after a few recent storms had cracked/broken/slid out of place and exposed the inner belly of our roof...called a roofing contractor..and had them fixed pronto...
He said I prob saved a bunch of $$ by getting the roof repaired prior to another storm...
I also went and checked the roofs for my three neighbors....all of them had loose tiles, and they also had them fixed...
Our homes are just about 25 yrs old...but Merlin23 saved us a bunch of $ with having his “eye in the sky”....

I usually don't see anything too unusual. When I am watching the video, I'll see deer, big birds, people in surprising places (wonder what that's all about), and sights of the town I didn't even know existed. Nothing particularly wild. I don't understand why I don't see these things in real time though.

Oh I did see something that no one I've showed the video to can explain, and certain aspects of these things eliminate birds, which is what everyone thinks, but they are traveling waaaaay too fast. They look like shiny balls of light screaming past the drone. When I first saw it, I though it might be a bullet, but no one could have shot a gun from that angle. I've seen these in several of my videos. At times I'll think for sure it's birds, but it can't be. I've even slowed the video down, but that just blurs the scream.
Very bizzarre.

Here's the video. Look at about 3 to 5 seconds of this video. The object comes from right to left. Blink and you'll miss it.

You’re probably using a low shutter speed for a smooth video result? If you use a high shutter speed, you’ll get a pretty good look at birds passing.

I was filming a new car dealer lot as they just installed bright high tech lighting and when I got to the back of the lot (all the entrances were closed off with gates and blocked off) I spotted a new car with the trunk open. I figure someone tried all the cars and found one that was unlocked and was stealing the spar tire and what ever else they could. I called the police...person was long gone by the time they got there and they gave me a really hard time about flying a drone at a closed for the night dealership. Last time I will do that without someone from the dealer staying there with me. This was 3yrs ago and I did have my 333 exemption and approval by the local airport at the time as I was only going up to around 100ft. Ok, the stages job I was ever hired for was to film a condo roof at a nudist colony North of Tampa, FL. After I was landing a bunch of totally nude folks drove up on golf carts to check out my drone. What was wild was they were all in great shape! BONUS!!! LOL.

Reactions: tleedom
I usually don't see anything too unusual. When I am watching the video, I'll see deer, big birds, people in surprising places (wonder what that's all about), and sights of the town I didn't even know existed. Nothing particularly wild. I don't understand why I don't see these things in real time though.

Oh I did see something that no one I've showed the video to can explain, and certain aspects of these things eliminate birds, which is what everyone thinks, but they are traveling waaaaay too fast. They look like shiny balls of light screaming past the drone. When I first saw it, I though it might be a bullet, but no one could have shot a gun from that angle. I've seen these in several of my videos. At times I'll think for sure it's birds, but it can't be. I've even slowed the video down, but that just blurs the scream.
Very bizzarre.

Here's the video. Look at about 3 to 5 seconds of this video. The object comes from right to left. Blink and you'll miss it.

Interesting video. I did a frame by frame of the object's trajectory until it went out of frame.. Could any of our math wizards inform us of a method to determine the "UFO's" speed?

Attachments

• ufob.JPG
    ufob.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ufoc.JPG
    ufoc.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
  • ufod.JPG
    ufod.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ufoe.JPG
    ufoe.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 62
Poor Goose.....
2EDC448900000578-3335091-image-a-7_1448644306628.jpg

Reactions: Maviac
I was flying in a suburban park on a weekend. Just outside the park was a school with no kids but it looked like it was out of a 1970s scifi film.

I've caught all sorts of amazing things while bicycling with a GoPro including:
  • the start of a domestic incident - the guy had grabbed the woman's arm and wouldn't let her leave and when I asked her if she was okay, he told me that it wasn't anything - so I called security over
  • in broad daylight, a guy who chosen the thinnest tree to urinate against. He was also a metre away from a busy shared path.

Taking shots of this beach in the Bahamas, it wasn't till I later when editing the photo that I spotted shark in the water.

2017-04-BahmasStanielKayBeach (1 of 1).jpg

2017-04-BahmasStanielKayBeach2 (1 of 1).jpg

I'm sitting on that table on the beach in upper right, didn't even notice shark go by.

Reactions: strdr and Brandaloo
I also found a very large "Compound" in my town in an unexpected place... complete with helipad! And once some kayakers that I never noticed while flying.

Every one has probably see the film Drone Boning (it's staged, but still.....) catching people in compromising acts. But what is the wildest sights you have captured with a drone?

On a local flight I recently discovered a large mansion near where I live located in the middle of a secluded piece of property. The owner certainly seems to want privacy and not too fond of people approaching the place as it was complete with rings of perimeter floodlighting and what seemed like no-man's lands around the inner periphery of the property.

Maybe I'll spot some new stuff next time I fly as well.

Have any pictures of it?

Sometimes we see a deer, a coyote or a fox on the video I didn't see when taking the shot - nothing SPECTACULAR yet... ?

As someone who has spent a lot of time trying to get photos of lightning (usually I'll take 200+ shots and if I'm lucky get a decent one), that's an awesome shot.
I usually shoot videos of lightening, then take screen shots. They actually come out quite good !

Reactions: naiku
I should add, thankfully I don't sit there clicking the shutter, just program the intervalometer to take a picture every 30 seconds or so and leave it to do it's thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov